Obama hits 50% in the polls.

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Frost
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Obama hits 50% in the polls.

Post by Frost »

Support Bob Barr until the first debate. If he does not(he wont) get the poll numbers to get into the debates there is no point in supporting him after that. It is in your self interest in the current system to vote for the best frontrunner.

If you want to change the system then i am right there with you, but until it is changed you really are only hurting yourself voting for someone who is not a front runner. Then again if you really thing McCain is as bad as Obama you really dont have anything to lose i guess. I would challenge you on that though.
It can happen here.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

Frost wrote:Support Bob Barr until the first debate. If he does not(he wont) get the poll numbers to get into the debates there is no point in supporting him after that. It is in your self interest in the current system to vote for the best frontrunner.

If you want to change the system then i am right there with you, but until it is changed you really are only hurting yourself voting for someone who is not a front runner. Then again if you really thing McCain is as bad as Obama you really dont have anything to lose i guess. I would challenge you on that though.
As I see it. You can't separate basic human rights from each other. Taking away one just makes it easier to strip away others. when you take away our right to speak out against candidates (McCain Feingold) you make it easier for the people who represent us to strip these rights away. McCain has a track record He has worked very hard at stripping our our 1st amendment rights, and he has made it clear that wants another assault weapon ban only this time without a sunset clause.

I understand that some folks have stronger stomachs than I. Obama isn't promising a Glock in every pocket either. I can't bring myself to vote for McCain, and I cant blame folks for voting for him, but please be aware that McCain is a gun grabber, and he he has a proven record of stifling freedom of speech. In fact McCain-Feingold would have made this very thread illegal if parts of the law wasn't overturned. If John McCain has so little regard for our Bill of Rights, I find it difficult to believe he would seek out SCOTUS nominees that believe in them also. There is no way he would ever give us another Scalia, Roberts or Thomas.

John McCain is no Sarah Palin. He is a career sellout politician and an exclusive member of the Keating five.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

tbranch
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tbranch »

Liberty wrote:McCain has a track record He has worked very hard at stripping our our 1st amendment rights, and he has made it clear that wants another assault weapon ban only this time without a sunset clause. I understand that some folks have stronger stomachs than I. Obama isn't promising a Glock in every pocket either.
The problem we face is any vote not for McCain might as well be a vote for Obama. I can promise it will be much worse if Obama is in office and the impact of this election may be felt for the remainder of many of our lives if he gets to appoint three justices to SCOTUS. We have a liberal Senate and Congress. Our only hope is to have someone who can veto the laws they try to enact.

IMHO, this is a battle we simply cannot afford to lose.

Tom

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

tbranch wrote:
Liberty wrote:McCain has a track record He has worked very hard at stripping our our 1st amendment rights, and he has made it clear that wants another assault weapon ban only this time without a sunset clause. I understand that some folks have stronger stomachs than I. Obama isn't promising a Glock in every pocket either.
The problem we face is any vote not for McCain might as well be a vote for Obama. I can promise it will be much worse if Obama is in office and the impact of this election may be felt for the remainder of many of our lives if he gets to appoint three justices to SCOTUS. We have a liberal Senate and Congress. Our only hope is to have someone who can veto the laws they try to enact.

IMHO, this is a battle we simply cannot afford to lose.
I refuse to buy into any vote against McCain is for Obama. I expect that Obama will lose big time here in Texas. Any vote for the Libertarians is just more oportunity for our Constitution and Freedom to get a voice. Obama doesn't stand a chance in Hades of getting Texas' Electoral college votes.

To forget what John McCain has done to our constitution would be a crime. I don't like either one. We have Obama who most will concede has never accomplished anything in his life other than run for office. and McCain who has attacked and damaged our constitution, and has a real record of shady backroom dealings as a member in standing of the Keating five. The shame is anyone of the other Republican candidates would have have been better than him. Instead they selected the worst Republican Senator we could find.

While I will concede that Obama would be a terrible president. He can't be worse than McCain. I will vote Libertarian, Bob Barr maybe flawed, but he at least understands that the constitution isn't a piece of paper to be tread upon and that it actually has some meaning. I'll take Slow Wheat over what the 2 majors players anyday. I fear the man I know much more than the 2 that I don't know that well. I also believe that that we are facing some pretty rough days regardless which one gets in.

Do any of McCain's supporters actually believe that he would be a Good President? or is it just that he won't be as bad as Obama?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Liberty wrote:
To forget what John McCain has done to our constitution would be a crime.
Allowing Obama to be voted into office will be a bigger crime and to assume that Obama will "lose big time" in Texas is foolish.

Standing on principle is fine but do you really want to stand on principle while the alligator is gnawing on your leg after inauguration day 2009?

I will put this on my calendar and hopefully I never have to say "Liberty, I told you so."

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Allowing Obama to be voted into office will be a bigger crime and to assume that Obama will "lose big time" in Texas is foolish.

Standing on principle is fine but do you really want to stand on principle while the alligator is gnawing on your leg after inauguration day 2009?

I will put this on my calendar and hopefully I never have to say "Liberty, I told you so."

Anygunanywhere
I understand how you feel, but to me an effective constitutional sabatour is more dangerous than an incompetent leftist. He isn't our friend never has been and never will be. When he grabs our scary black guns I hope I don't have to say "I told you so."

I will probably be doing my fellow voters a favor though by not voting for either of them, because the very thought of voting for McCain or Obama churns my gut.
Liberty''s Blog

Topic author
lawrnk
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lawrnk »

You actually perceive the threat to the 2nd to be McCain. You think the black gun ban will come from him?
I'd love to see a 2A comparison of Obama to Mccain
Liberty wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Anygunanywhere
I understand how you feel, but to me an effective constitutional sabatour is more dangerous than an incompetent leftist. He isn't our friend never has been and never will be. When he grabs our scary black guns I hope I don't have to say "I told you so."

I will probably be doing my fellow voters a favor though by not voting for either of them, because the very thought of voting for McCain or Obama churns my gut.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

One reason I do not like McCain and fear him more than Obama is his proven record of violating the constitution and disregard for it. He says he supports the Second and my right to own weapons, but he has supported some limits on that right. Obama makes the same statements, though his announced limits are greater than McCain's. BUT, Obama has no record of being able to suborn the Constitution like McCain does. Does Obama have the power to get a law passed that directly violates the Constitution, and have the SCOTUS, President, and other elected officials agree with him? I don't see Obama as having the leadership ability in this area that McCain does have.

So, which would you rather have, a leader who we know has leadership ability and the proven disregard for the Constitution, or a leader who has a professed disregard for the Constitution in some areas but no proven leadership ability to do anything about it?

I can definitely see why some people fear McCain being elected more than Obama. There are other rights in the Constitution besides the Second and I want them ALL supported.
Steve Rothstein

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

srothstein wrote:One reason I do not like McCain and fear him more than Obama is his proven record of violating the constitution and disregard for it. He says he supports the Second and my right to own weapons, but he has supported some limits on that right. Obama makes the same statements, though his announced limits are greater than McCain's. BUT, Obama has no record of being able to suborn the Constitution like McCain does. Does Obama have the power to get a law passed that directly violates the Constitution, and have the SCOTUS, President, and other elected officials agree with him? I don't see Obama as having the leadership ability in this area that McCain does have.

So, which would you rather have, a leader who we know has leadership ability and the proven disregard for the Constitution, or a leader who has a professed disregard for the Constitution in some areas but no proven leadership ability to do anything about it?

I can definitely see why some people fear McCain being elected more than Obama. There are other rights in the Constitution besides the Second and I want them ALL supported.

Not bad points (McCain would not have been my first pick either), but I can't help but think (if elected) that he will be feeling very much "under the magnifying glass" and will not try to promote many (if any) anti-gun sentiments/legislation.

I fully expect Sarah Palin (the Saracuda) to weigh in on this...if ever it became a problem. She is a NRA life member and definite supporter of the 2nd amendment. Obama has the most "anti" view of gun ownership...(outside of the Brady Bunch) of anyone I can think of. All he lacks so far is "opportunity". Personally, I fear him more.

I certainly agree that there are other rights in the Constitution other than the Second, and I want them ALL supported as well. :thumbs2:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

lawrnk wrote:You actually perceive the threat to the 2nd to be McCain. You think the black gun ban will come from him?
I'd love to see a 2A comparison of Obama to Mccain
Yes I do. McCain has spoken in support of a new assault weapon ban and he voted voted for the first. He believes that hunters should have the right to own guns.

I hate being a defender of Obama, because I truly believe he would be worse although marginally so, but at least Obama is honest and admits he is a leftist. McCain is one of those guys that belongs to the NRA is running as a conservative and quietly tries to outlaw guns that he believes are to scary or cheap to be owned by law abiding Americans. In the mean time his reputation as a backstabbing closet liberal is the stuff legends are made of.

I believe a comparison of McCain and to Obama wouldn't be completely favorable to McCain. Obama hasn't been around long enough and hasn't been very successful in initiating anything. I do have a difficult time seperating the 1st amendment from the 2nd. Once he is finished taking away our freedom of speech and freedom of press, we won't be able to speak out against injustices such as his assault weapon ban. After that comes more reasonable restrictions.

I for one will never vote for a man that is opposed almost everything I stand for just because the other guy "might" be worse.

I understand and share most peoples views here on Obama. Maybe its just because I have a good memory and haven't forgot some of the things that McCain stands for and the things that he has done. As far as I can tell there is only one man running that will support our 1st and 2nd amendment rights unconditionally.

I'm finding myself repeating myself and I don't really have anything more to say about this. so please excuse me while I bow out.
Liberty''s Blog

Return to “Federal”