Anyone aware Marshall Law invoked in the U S today?

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RiverRat
Posts in topic: 4

Anyone aware Marshall Law invoked in the U S today?

Post by RiverRat »

Life member NRA and TSRA

KaiserB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Anyone aware Marshall Law invoked in the U S today?

Post by KaiserB »

There is no such thing as Marshall Law... unless you mean Marshal Dillon from Gun Smoke.

Or are you referring the speaker of the House of Representatives referring to Martial Law on the Congress until the bill is past.

If it is the first (Marshall Law) you should watch less television. If it is the second (Martial Law) the comment made by the speaker is very ignorant, or had about as much seriousness as James Trafficant and his "Beam Me up Mr. Speaker" comments he used to make.

Martial Law: http://www.gunowners.org/fs9905.htm#IV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given the almost limitless authority these precedents provide you to use military forces for civilian law enforcement purposes within the United States however, it hardly seems necessary to address the nature of martial law.(77) Additionally, the precedents in this area are less well established -- apparently, there have been only two occasions where a president has formally declared martial law, both by President Lincoln.(78) On September 24, 1862, President Lincoln declared disloyal persons throughout the United States subject to martial law. He later placed the Commonwealth of Kentucky under martial law on July 5, 1864.(79)

Nevertheless, to give complete coverage to the issues which you raised, we present the following analysis.

While no federal statutes appear to define martial law, one section of the Code of Federal Regulations ("CFR") -- 32 CFR 501.4(80) -- makes four points about martial law:

First, federal troops are normally deployed domestically without a declaration of martial law.(81) "It is unlikely that situations requiring the commitment of Federal Armed Forces will necessitate the declaration of martial law."

Second, the "law of necessity" undergirds the implementation of martial law. "When Federal Armed Forces are committed in the event of civil disturbances, their proper role is to support, not supplant, civil authority. Martial law depends for its justification upon public necessity. Necessity gives rise to its creation; necessity justifies its exercise; and necessity limits its duration. The extent of the military force used and the actual measures taken, consequently, will depend upon the actual threat to order and public safety which exists at the time."

Third, declarations of martial law are not limited to the President. "In most instances the decision to impose martial law is made by the President, who normally announces his decision by a proclamation, which usually contains his instructions concerning its exercise and any limitations thereon. However, the decision to impose martial law may be made by the local commander on the spot, if the circumstances demand immediate action, and time and available communications facilities do not permit obtaining prior approval from higher authority (Sec. 501.2). Whether or not a proclamation exists, it is incumbent upon commanders concerned to weigh every proposed action against the threat to public order and safety it is designed to meet, in order that the necessity therefor may be ascertained."

Fourth, the rules of conduct for citizens are merely announced by the military and are immediately effective. "When Federal Armed Forces have been committed in an objective area in a martial law situation, the population of the affected area will be informed of the rules of conduct and other restrictive measures the military is authorized to enforce. These will normally be announced by proclamation or order and will be given the widest possible publicity by all available media. Federal Armed Forces ordinarily will exercise police powers previously inoperative in the affected area, restore and maintain order, insure the essential mechanics of distribution, transportation, and communication, and initiate necessary relief measures.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nitrogen »

RiverRat wrote:http://www.prisonplanet.com/congresswom ... -bill.html

Haven't heard anything on the news?

http://polidics.com/martial-law/martial ... gress.html

might be a better link.
FYI, Prisonplanet is Alex Jones' website.
Alex Jones is a Grade-A Choice Conspiracy idiot.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

I found this definition related to the house "martial" law
http://burgess.house.gov/News/DocumentS ... tID=103976

KaiserB......
There is no such thing as Marshall Law... unless you mean Marshal Dillon from Gun Smoke.
My incorrect spelling of legislative "martial " law was related to my thinking this was somehow related to the Marshall Plan of European economic reconstruction during WWII.

I received the house of rep. link from my son, studying political science in college......not trusting of the website, concerned with the legislator's lack of ability to be involved in the process......
Life member NRA and TSRA

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

RiverRat wrote:I found this definition related to the house "martial" law
http://burgess.house.gov/News/DocumentS ... tID=103976

KaiserB......
My incorrect spelling of legislative "martial " law was related to my thinking this was somehow related to the Marshall Plan of European economic reconstruction during WWII.

I received the house of rep. link from my son, studying political science in college......not trusting of the website, concerned with the legislator's lack of ability to be involved in the process......

I was giving you a hard time...I should have put a smily ;-) after that comment.

I think the house Martial law comment was really the speakers method of telling everyone "you are not going home until this is passed" In parliamentary proceedings it is the equivalent of torture by filibuster. Additionally it cheats the public (aka the voters) out of the ability to read the legislation and comment back to the representatives and senators as the bills are usually posted online or in other formats for the public to view for a day or so before the vote occurs.

Topic author
RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

Agree, like you, my worries are more from the lack of media information, lack of being able to see the 400 pages of the "new" bail out bill, grown from 3 pages on Monday........if for no other reason than to call my congressman with my opinion. I would bet on high levels of unrelated tack-on projects for us to pay for.....

For the 100-1 against, they haven't voted that way.

Reminds me of the government committee design for a mouse..............weighs 16,000 lbs and has a trunk when it's finished. (No reference to any political parties)
Life member NRA and TSRA

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

They have apparently added "Pork/Sweeteners" to the bill in order to entice the more recalcitrant of legislators to buy into it this afternoon.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

Purplehood wrote:They have apparently added "Pork/Sweeteners" to the bill in order to entice the more recalcitrant of legislators to buy into it this afternoon.

It sounded like they added 14 truckloads of ham hocks, and slimjims from the news report. The bill passed the senate with 75 votes.

Topic author
RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

Here's a link to a draft copy.........foxes guarding the hen house.......same oversight offices that caused the mess to start with.....

http://www.speaker.gov/pdf/AYO08C04_xml515pm.pdf
Life member NRA and TSRA

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

And the bill was passed by the house and signed into law today.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/10/03/news/ec ... 2008100309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Rothstein

raccol

Post by raccol »

maybe martial law should be declared on congress :rules:
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" Doug Patton

"I don't like repeat offenders; I like dead offenders." Ted Nugent

http://blowoutcongress.com/

Return to “Federal”