Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carry in National Parks - Decision Made

Post by NcongruNt »

Woohoo!

:woohoo

Finally!

Now I can take my brother's invitations to go to Big Bend seriously. :biggrinjester:

Any the Padre Island National Seashore, a place I love, will no longer be off limits. :thumbs2:
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Life just got more dangerous for certain banditos on the south side of the river at Big Bend National Park. I may go back now.

Chas.

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

So the person must be licensed in the state, and the state must allow carry in parks. Does this also mean that the rules for carry, such as OC/CC, use of force and deadly force, etc., are taken directly from the state laws? Or is there another set of rules for national parks?
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

cowboymd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cowboymd »

by AEA on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Great news!

Now, if the US Army Corps of Engineers would get with the program it would be even better for us Texans!

Amen on that.:iagree:
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

fire128

Post by fire128 »

As much as I have looked forward to this, I have this nagging feeling that on Jan. 21st an executive order will be signed reversing this. And in doing so it will be the first of many.

my 2 cents worth.

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

“The Department believes that in managing parks and refuges we should, as appropriate, make every effort to give the greatest respect to the democratic judgments of State legislatures with respect to concealed firearms,” said Laverty. “Federal agencies have a responsibility to recognize the expertise of the States in this area, and federal regulations should be developed and implemented in a manner that respects state prerogatives and authority.”
This is my favorite part of that story.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

camjr wrote:I was convinced that the Interior Dept would punt this to the next administration appointee. I am stunned they actually made the decision. As others have state, now they just need to extend to Corps of Engineers property, and we're golden!

Cheers!
OTH, we may well see the next administration's appointee punt it back and lose the right again almost as soon as we had gained it back.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

agbullet2k1 wrote:So the person must be licensed in the state, and the state must allow carry in parks. Does this also mean that the rules for carry, such as OC/CC, use of force and deadly force, etc., are taken directly from the state laws? Or is there another set of rules for national parks?
They will apply the same rules of the state that the park is in:
Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks Lyle Laverty today announced that the Department of the Interior has finalized updated regulations governing the possession of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. The final rule, which updates existing regulations, would allow an individual to carry a concealed weapon in national parks and wildlife refuges if, and only if, the individual is authorized to carry a concealed weapon under state law in the state in which the national park or refuge is located.
We Texas will be covered at the Everglades national park, and Floridians will be covered at South Padre and Big Bend.

This is huge folks, its a major coupe for the NRA who set the stage and for this to happen It's not only a concession to RKBA but an acknowledgment of the states rules and laws. I publicly promised that I would join the NRA if that got this one through. I reneged, I joined in September instead. Maybe the Army Corp of engineers will now see the way.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
OTH, we may well see the next administration's appointee punt it back and lose the right again almost as soon as we had gained it back.
Oh such a spoil sport. This is good news! Enjoy the moment. :cheers2: :party: :party: :anamatedbanana :chldancing
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Liberty wrote:
agbullet2k1 wrote:So the person must be licensed in the state, and the state must allow carry in parks. Does this also mean that the rules for carry, such as OC/CC, use of force and deadly force, etc., are taken directly from the state laws? Or is there another set of rules for national parks?
They will apply the same rules of the state that the park is in:
Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks Lyle Laverty today announced that the Department of the Interior has finalized updated regulations governing the possession of firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges. The final rule, which updates existing regulations, would allow an individual to carry a concealed weapon in national parks and wildlife refuges if, and only if, the individual is authorized to carry a concealed weapon under state law in the state in which the national park or refuge is located.
We Texas will be covered at the Everglades national park, and Floridians will be covered at South Padre and Big Bend.

This is huge folks, its a major coupe for the NRA who set the stage and for this to happen It's not only a concession to RKBA but an acknowledgment of the states rules and laws. I publicly promised that I would join the NRA if that got this one through. I reneged, I joined in September instead. Maybe the Army Corp of engineers will now see the way.
The way that reads, it looks as if they're just referring to the possession of a license. The state codes that spell out authorized use of force and deadly force are seperate from the codes dictating issuance of CHLs. Force and deadly force codes also apply to (non-CHL) people armed with nothing more than pepper spray, tasers, kinves, fists, pointed sticks....or bananas. So the question I asked was meant to find out if the state force and deadly force codes are also in effect on federal land, or if there is still a different set of federal force and deadly force codes different from TX codes, such as requiring an attempt to flee before engaging.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

bpet

Post by bpet »

As is obvious from my previous postings on this topic, I am aghast! As of last week I would have bet big money (maybe a dollar), that this would not make it before the new administration takes over. I am proud of the effort put forth to get this change. My congratulation to those who worked to get it completed in time to give us another win.

Now, I can start worrying about how long it will remain in effect. Ah, but I'm being negative again.

I think I'll plan a trip to try out our newly recognized freedom. Of course, I'll not tell anyone about it until it's done. Makes me feel kinda special to be a license carrying, gun-toten citizen.

:woohoo
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

From what I had read before, it really looked gloomy. So, this IS a pleasant surprise. Time to schedule a deep west Texas tour for the wife and I. :hurry:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

KaProw

Post by KaProw »

quoted from another forum.

"The new ruling will take effect 30 days AFTER it appears in the
Federal Register next week. So, I would say it will be effective no
later than January 12th!"
That ain't no earthquake, it's me!

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Time for a TexasCHLForum picnic in Big Bend!!
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flb_78 wrote:Time for a TexasCHLForum picnic in Big Bend!!
I really like this idea! We need to do this in the Spring.

Chas.

Return to “Federal”