Only 1 state away from a Constitutional Convention

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
atxgun
Posts in topic: 1

Only 1 state away from a Constitutional Convention

Post by atxgun »

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?s ... Vp&u=ADLEO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ohio's on board so now we only need one more state for a constitutional convention to be held. I for one see this as a very, very bad thing. There are too many powers that be that just see the constitution as getting in their way and will surely revamp things in their favor given the opportunity.

I'd like to think this is an opportunity to solidify gun rights but I'm sure no one here would see it turning out that way :shock:

thankGod

Re: Only 1 state away from a Constitutional Convention

Post by thankGod »

Well, I need to show a little ignorance here.

I read the article that was posted, and I don't understand what the Constitutional Convention is for. Some enlightenment please.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Nor does it explain why having one will lead to destruction.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RiveraRa

Post by RiveraRa »

Wiki has a pretty good definition
A constitutional convention is a gathering for the purpose of writing a new constitution or revising an existing constitution. A general constitutional convention is called to create the first constitution of a political unit or to entirely replace an existing constitution. An unlimited constitutional convention is called to revise an existing constitution to the extent that it deems to be proper, whereas a limited constitutional convention is restricted to revising only the areas of the current constitution named in the convention's call, the legal mandate establishing the convention.
While I haven't done much research (although it looks like I need to), Im assuming people are scared that it could be re-written so that the 1st ammendment is more gov. controlled, or that the 2nd amendment is a "collective right", abortion could be added, or religion could become gov. controlled.
01/10/2009 - CHL class
06/16/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
06/18/2009 - Paperwork Received
06/25/2009 - Money Order Cashed
07/15/2009 - PIN Received
09/02/2009 - Application Completed
09/05/2009 - Plastic in Hand
Current Status: License in hand!

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

thankGod wrote:I read the article that was posted, and I don't understand what the Constitutional Convention is for.
Article V, United States Constitution:
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

A Constitutional Convention is what you do when you need to amend the Constitution without the cooperation of Congress. Essentially, it's an opportunity for the states to temporarily take control of the Amendment process in place of the Congress. Fortunately, though two thirds (34) of states can call for it, the revision and/or Amendments would require ratification by three fourths (38) of the states, and that's after they know what it will be.

Since several of the states which have called for the Convention have expressed a desire to rescind their votes, getting them to vote in favor of any revision presented would require that any such changes be extremely well received. It is interesting to note the timeline of the 27th Amendment, though, as an example of what can happen if no time limit is set for ratification; it was one of the original twelve Amendments posed for the Bill Of Rights, yet took 203 years to pass as the votes in favor built up. (Though notably with gaps of 105 and 82 years when nothing happened.) Since this Convention is being called by essentially the same "wait for favorable votes and refuse to allow them to be rescinded" tactic, it's possible they could eventually pass nearly anything.

For more details, see http://www.usconstitution.net/constam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

atxgun wrote: ...
Ohio's on board so now we only need one more state for a constitutional convention to be held. ...
If the article's facts are correct and the possibility of a Constitutional convention is looming, then this is extremely scary stuff! 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment and 14th Amendment would almost certainly be re-written to be consonant with the prevailing political correctness.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

nuparadigm wrote:
atxgun wrote: ...
Ohio's on board so now we only need one more state for a constitutional convention to be held. ...
If the article's facts are correct and the possibility of a Constitutional convention is looming, then this is extremely scary stuff! 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment and 14th Amendment would almost certainly be re-written to be consonant with the prevailing political correctness.
The rewritten amendments would never be ratified.

Even if the amendments are changed it changes nothing regarding our rights. The constitution did not grant them. God did when he made us.

If the conventioon is assembled we just have to be really insistent and loud.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I don't see how any good can come of this.
Byron Dickens

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

bdickens wrote:I don't see how any good can come of this.
It depends; if all changes are to be ratified separately, I can't see 38 states (remember that this would mean no more than 12 dissenting on any given change) agreeing on anything significant except possibly a balanced budget amendment (though probably not - 12 states wanting unrestricted Federal welfare would kill it) and a few other things that would likely be good.

If it's all or nothing, odds are they're wasting their time to even try.

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

anygunanywhere wrote:...

The rewritten amendments would never be ratified. ...
You're correct. When I wrote what I wrote, I completely spaced the ratification requirements. I feel better.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

An interesting comparison to how things and mindsets have changed in the last 230 some odd years is how the new Iraqi Constitution was created/worded/inspired...

We had a heavy hand in how that was drafted and finally ratified, if I recall correctly...And I tell you, it doesn't impress me one bit...

If a new Constitutional Convention were to convene, we might very well be in some trouble as far as some of those freedoms that the people are given and at the same time really get in the way of our government from removing them from us...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ahhh, Texas is on the list, but if you look at the article, Ohio makes the count only 27 I think??? We need a few more states to join the call...

The cover for all of this is to force a Constitutional change in balancing the budget or something...Geesh, yeah, thats going to fix it...And that'll be the only thing they want to do...If you believe that...I've got some beachfront property in Arizona I wanna sell ya...

It may take a while to get the few remaining states to join the ranks on this...But now may be the time we start looking at who might be making up the Texas delegation to that convention...If it ever comes to it...

I'd love to go...You can rest assured by my participation, our individual and inalienable Right to Keep and Bear Arms is secure...

If they thought Ronald Reagan, Newt Gingrich, Tom DeLay, Barry Goldwater were bad...They haven't met me...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Federal”