Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Patterson Forms Un-Exploratory Comm. to Not Run for Senate

Post by ELB »

Got to this via Of Arms and the Law and thence TrailBlazers Blog:
PATTERSON ANNOUNCES INTENTIONS FOR U.S. SENATE SEAT

(AUSTIN) The latest in a long line of officeholders announcing their intentions to seek the U.S. Senate seat that might be vacated by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison in her run for Governor, Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson today made his decision public.

"After a great deal of consideration, and much soul-searching, I am today formally announcing my intention to join many of my fellow elected officials and not seek the U.S. Senate seat," said Patterson. "I have been urged by many of my fellow Texans to seek this seat . . actually only a few Texans . . . truthfully just a couple members of my staff and a few other officeholders who want my job . . . so I'll sit this one out."

"I will form an unexploratory committee to be sure," said Patterson, " but my heart tells me that I am deeply ambivalent about being a U.S. Senator."

"After all," said Patterson "I don't want to share statewide office with anyone, and D.C. is a tough commute for my thirty-year-old single-engine fabric-covered aerobatic airplane."

Despite the recent D.C. vs. Heller case before the Supreme Court that ruled Washington's prohibition against handguns was unconstitutional, Patterson said he could not live in the Nation's Capital. Patterson is author of the Texas Concealed Handgun Law and a known gun advocate.

"Just like Johnny Cash, I'd definitely take my guns to town," Patterson said. "Living in D.C. would be tough only because of the lack of gun ranges and available ammunition."

Paraphrasing his quote from a recent West Texas land controversy, Patterson added "No guns, no hunting, no Senate."

By removing himself for consideration for Senate, Patterson says it will affect his health.

"I'll live longer." Patterson said. "When Gov. Pappy Lee O'Daniel appointed Sam Houston's youngest son Andrew Jackson Houston to fill an empty Senate seat in '41, Houston went to one committee meeting then died. Of course, he was 88. I'm sure it was mere coincidence that O'Daniel subsequently ran himself to fill Houston's Senate seat."

Similarly, Patterson pointed out, those officeholders who lose the U.S. Senate race could also face ill-effects on their health.

"After former Republic of Texas president Anson Jones was passed over for an open Senate seat in 1857, he blew his brains out." Patterson said. "No one should need to go to Washington that bad."
USAF 1982-2005

boomerang

Re: Patterson Forms Un-Exploratory Comm. to Not Run for Senate

Post by boomerang »

:hurry:
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

stevie_d_64

Re: Patterson Forms Un-Exploratory Comm. to Not Run for Senate

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Priceless...Now it only leaves what some of us know already...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Federal”