Jan. 30 e-mail from John Cornyn's office

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Jan. 30 e-mail from John Cornyn's office

Post by Greybeard »

--- On Fri, 1/30/09, Rittler, Andy (Cornyn) <Andy_Rittler@cornyn.senate.gov> wrote:

From: Rittler, Andy (Cornyn) <Andy_Rittler@cornyn.senate.gov>
Subject:
To: "Rittler, Andy (Cornyn)" <Andy_Rittler@cornyn.senate.gov>
Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:08 PM

I have included you on this email as community leaders in the North Texas area that might have an interest in gun control issues and perhaps the nomination of Eric Holder as Attorney General based on his support for excessive gun control legislation. If you would like to be notified in the future about other issues regarding gun control legislation, please send me your contact info. As always, this will be kept confidential. Please feel free to contact me at the number below on this or any other issues the Senator should be aware of and pass this along to your groups that might like to know more about his stances.

My Best,

Andy Rittler

North Texas Regional Director

Office of Senator John Cornyn

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator - Texas
For Immediate Release
Tina Gray, (202) 224-0703
Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sen. Cornyn: Holder Admission Requires Further Investigation By Senate

Urging Clemency for Terrorists Raises Deep Doubts About Nominee's Judgment

WASHINGTON—U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, a member of the Judiciary Committee, made the following statement regarding today’s committee hearing on the nomination of Eric Holder to be Attorney General.

“Today's revelation that Eric Holder recommended clemency to President Clinton for the 16 Puerto Rican terrorists over the repeated objections of career Justice Department lawyers raises deep concerns about his judgment and independence.

“Equally troubling is his rationale for clemency – namely, that these terrorists hadn't yet carried out their plots to murder or maim Americans. These were terrorists who had declared war on the United States – and considered themselves prisoners of war entitled to Geneva Convention rights. Many of the terrorists who were offered clemency refused to renounce violence against this nation.

“Now that Executive Privilege has been waved, it is incumbent upon my colleagues and me to fully investigate what could be one of the most unjustifiable exercises of Presidential clemency in history. We need to know whether improper political considerations and pressures played a part in Mr. Holder’s decision, and I will submit questions for the record to find out as much.”

-30-

To subscribe to Senator Cornyn's Newsletter click here
U.S. Senator John Cornyn
Andy Rittler
North Texas Regional Director
andy_rittler@cornyn.senate.gov
5005 LBJ Freeway
Suite 1150
Dallas, Texas 75244
tel: (972) 239-1310
fax: (972) 239-2110
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;