Stimulus bill increases BATFE funding

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Stimulus bill increases BATFE funding

Post by seamusTX »

The recently passed stimulus bill allocates an additional $10 million to BATFE for Project Gunrunner: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6263314.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Project Gunrunner is a federal program that aims to stop smuggling of firearms from the U.S. to Mexico: http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/eng/tex ... Trace.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Approximately 125 BATFE personnel are stationed in the border states and in Mexico. Among other activities, they trace weapons seized from gangsters in Mexico to U.S. sources.

In the two years ending in September, 2007, over 700 defendants had been referred for prosecution.

The additional money will fund the hiring of transfer of additional agents and analysts.

Opinion: I don't see a problem with this particular program. Certainly no one wants more weapons in the hands of Mexican and Central American gangsters who sometimes bring their violent disputes back to the U.S.

I am suspicious that prevention of smuggling will be one of the hooks to require all private sales to go through FFLs (a.k.a "closing the gun-show loophole). As it is now, an individual who is not an FFL can buy a dozen firearms at a time from a dealer, resell them off to smugglers, then claim that he sold them in face-to-face transactions. It's difficult in a case like that for prosecutors to prove any illegal activity took place.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stimulus bill increases BATFE funding

Post by nitrogen »

I have no problem with law enforcement attempting to stop gun smuggling to a foreign country.

I would rather it be a competent law enforcement agency, though.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Bart
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bart »

nitrogen wrote:I have no problem with law enforcement attempting to stop gun smuggling to a foreign country.

I would rather it be a competent law enforcement agency, though.
I would rather they put more effort into preventing terrorists and criminals from coming into the US and let other countries enforce their own immigration and customs laws.

What's next? Spending US taxpayer dollars to prevent bible and booze smuggling into Syria?
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

In general, countries are responsible for preventing illegal persons and things from coming in.

However when a country is a source of something dangerous, we expect that country to make some effort control the problem on their end.

The U.S. market for illegal drugs finances gang violence in Mexico. We expect the government of Mexico to do something to stop the flow of drugs, and they do make an effort. Mexican gangsters are killing Mexican police with weapons smuggled from the U.S. Mexico expects the us to do our part.

BTW, Bibles and booze are not illegal in Syria. One-fifth of the population of Syria is Christian.

- Jim

Return to “Federal”