Supreme Court Cuts Back Officers’ Searches of Vehicles

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Seburiel
Posts in topic: 1

Supreme Court Cuts Back Officers’ Searches of Vehicles

Post by Seburiel »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/us/22 ... r=2&ref=us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Tuesday significantly cut back the ability of the police to search the cars of people they arrest.
I looked for this, but didn't find it..
-S.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Supreme Court Cuts Back Officers’ Searches of Vehicles

Post by Keith B »

Seburiel wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/us/22 ... r=2&ref=us
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Tuesday significantly cut back the ability of the police to search the cars of people they arrest.
I looked for this, but didn't find it..
-S.
Here is the syllabus http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/07-542.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

DrinkRaiderade

Post by DrinkRaiderade »

Wow...
Applied Online 02/03/2009
Took CHL Course 02/07/2009
Packet & PIN Arrived 02/17/2009
Mailed Packet (Certified) 02/18/2009
Packet Received by DPS 02/19/2009
Online Status Changed to Processing Application 03/13/2009
Application Complete 05/28/2009
Plastic in Hand 06/03/2009 (104 days)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Looks like they have extremely narrowed down the probable cause for search. This means if they want to search without meeting the guidelines laid down by the SCOTUS, then they will have to request a warrant. This will mean a lot of traffic stops will NOT result in a search that was legal before and many bad guys will be released to go on about their business of doing nasty things. :banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

This is good decision, we must preserve all of our rights. While probable cause is a useful tool, it needs to be severely limited and scrutinized often as it is very easily abused.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

One problem that I see is that having a concealed handgun, whether CHL or just vehicle carry, might be construed as probaqble cause. We know that there are LEOs out there who will disarm a CHL "for safety" (which is utter bovine scatology) and I can envision the same searching the car for the same reason, and we all know that they do a very neat job and put everything back where they found it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Very nice to see some restraint being applied to fishing expeditions. :patriot:
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I, for one, have never understood the whole CHL (CCW) = "probably cause", for anything other than, "Here is your ticket, this is not an admission of guilt, just a citation that you agree to appear in court to resolve this matter. Have a nice day, and watch your speed sir"...

The whole level of scrutiny varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, state to state...We kinda know where the "bad" areas are, so we try to aviod them,and of course obey traffic laws so that we do not draw the attention that puts folks in this predicment...

To make myself feel better, I go buy a lottery ticket after I get a traffic citation...Just because I feel lucky...Hasn't panned out yet on the money side...But at least I feel better... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Federal”