Guns In the National Parks

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Guns In the National Parks

Post by Liberty »

Seems like its been brought up again. The Senate approved a Bill allowing National park carry.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate has approved a measure that would allow people to carry loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Republican Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma sponsored the amendment, which would restore a Bush administration policy allowing loaded guns in national parks.

A federal judge blocked the policy in March. The Obama administration said it would not appeal the ruling. The gun amendment was attached to a bill imposing restrictions on credit card companies. The amendment was approved 67-29.
I don't know what its chances are in the House.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Guns In the National Parks

Post by Rex B »

If the provision makes it to the final version, I bet it will pass.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

bdickens
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bdickens »

The whole thing started, if I remamber correctly, because a bunch of Senators wrote a letter to the Departmant of the Interior and told them that if they (interior) didn't change their policy they (Senate)were going to legislate it.
Byron Dickens

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

I hope it goes well.

I wanted to post more of the article:
If the measure becomes law "it would not only put park visitors and wildlife at risk, it would change the character and the peaceful and safe atmosphere in our parks," Faehner said.

Faehner's group sent a letter to senators Tuesday stating that Coburn's amendment would allow individuals to openly carry rifles, shotguns, and semiautomatic weapons in national parks. "As a result, individuals could attend ranger-led hikes and campfire programs with their rifles at Yellowstone National Park and other national park treasures across the country," the letter said.

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, called the Senate vote reckless.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Can't these idiots ever open their mouths without lying?
Byron Dickens

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Well, it can pass the house and the senate...

It still has to cross the desk of someone who would veto this in a New York minute...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Well, it can pass the house and the senate...

It still has to cross the desk of someone who would veto this in a New York minute...
Or is that a Chicago minute now? ;-)
TANSTAAFL

Aric

Post by Aric »

He might not veto it, This is a pretty non-substantial bill (by that I mean not effecting a large amount of people) that he could use as a way of saying "I support then 2nd amendment.... blah blah blah" He could have used an executive order to get rid of it.

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

74novaman wrote:

Or is that a Chicago minute now? ;-)
There just is no way he would veto it. Its attached to credit card control bill. Obama will never pass up a chance to garner more control of the banks. His progression to take control of private business is way too important to let a speed bump like more gun control get in his way.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

another opinion, probably more discussion here shortly: http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=409896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Greybeard wrote:another opinion, probably more discussion here shortly: http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=409896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GOA doesn't seem to be shy about taking credit for this one. While I'm sure they have been supportive of this bill, this just whole thing smells, taste and feels like the NRA.
Liberty''s Blog

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I just heard a short blurb, but I believe it said the bill has passed the House, and is now waiting on Obama to sign.
NRA lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

KC5AV wrote:I just heard a short blurb, but I believe it said the bill has passed the House, and is now waiting on Obama to sign.
Yep and assuming he signs it (he certainly will), it goes into effect on Feb. 10, 2010.

Sarah Brady is not happy, which puts a smile on my face! :hurry:
Chas.

RLC603

Post by RLC603 »

Couldn't agree nore....anything that upsets her just "makes my day"

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

:iagree: