Sen. John Cornyn Stand on Gun laws

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Roger Howard
Posts in topic: 1

Sen. John Cornyn Stand on Gun laws

Post by Roger Howard »

I wrote Sen. Cornyn concerning our 2nd amendment rights. here is his reply.

Dear Mr. Howard:

Thank you for contacting me about federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

It is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must respect the rights of law-abiding citizens and focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law and meting out longer sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes will reduce crime much more effectively than gun or equipment bans.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to uphold our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

I just sent post cards to Kay Bailey Hutchison, John Cornyn, and Solomon P. Ortiz. They were provided by NRA-ILA, but I still feel it's important to let them know where we stand.

I have received numerous responses from Kay Bailey Hutchison in the past, so I feel we're being well represented there. I'm glad to see that John Cornyn is with us, and I hope Solomon P. is on my side as well. It will be interesting to see if his office responds to my post card.

If everyone who believes in the 2nd Amendment would continually call, write, and email our representatives, we wouldn't have much to worry about.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I think it would also be a good idea to write to people who you WOULDN'T vote for, and let them know why.

I think if enough people would do this, I think people from the Other Parties might realise it's something they need to rethink their stances on.

Being somewhat "confused" politically, I tend to get requests for money and support from both sides. I usually will send them a few bucks (because they just throw away anything w/o money enclosed) and then explain why they didn't get more of my money.

You'd be suprised, this can help a lot more than you think.
Unfortunately, also, at times, it doesn't help as much as you'd want.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Return to “Federal”