Kay's Border Security Summary

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rugrash
Posts in topic: 1

Kay's Border Security Summary

Post by Rugrash »

I received Senator Hutchison's email about her proposal for border security and I thought that I'd post it for y'all. Now I haven't seen any other proposals, so I don't really have anything to compare this to, but it sounds pretty good. I especially like the radiation portal monitors and use of UAV's in this struggle.

-Rug

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison Representative Mike Pence

The Good Neighbor SAFE Visa program will be activated when the President certifies to the Congress that specific border security measures have been implemented. These measures are to be applied to the Northern and Southern land borders and to the nation’s shoreline. They include increases in personnel, improvements in infrastructure, and deployment of advanced technology. The temporary worker program will not begin until the security measures mandated by the legislation to be in place within the first two years after enactment, have been achieved.

Personnel
12,000 additional, full-time Border Patrol agents – 2,400 each year for the next five years – will be hired, trained, and deployed, with not less than 10 percent of those agents directed to the Northern border.

2,500 additional, full-time active duty port of entry inspectors – 500 each year for the next five years – will be trained, equipped and deployed.

1,000 additional, full-time immigration and customs enforcement personnel – 200 each year for the next five years - will be hired to investigate human trafficking.

250 additional, full-time active duty Deputy U.S. Marshals – 50 each year for the next five years – to investigate criminal activity related to immigration will be hired and trained.

300 additional, full-time Drug Enforcement Administration agents – 60 each year for the next five years – will be hired, trained and deployed to the Southern border to address narcotics trafficking and money laundering.

Equipment, Infrastructure, and Technology
20,000 new spaces for the detention of those who have illegally entered the country will be made available; these facilities will end the “catch and release� policy whereby the majority of those suspected of illegal entry from nations other than Mexico are released into the general population after initial processing.

100 additional helicopters and 250 additional powerboats will be made available to the Border Patrol for surveillance and enforcement of border security measures.

Construction of strategic border fencing and other vehicle barriers will be completed.

Necessary body armor, weapons, and uniforms will be provided to personnel.

Night-vision equipment and encrypted two-way radio communications capability will be provided to border enforcement personnel; each portable communication device will be equipped with a global positioning system activated in emergency situations to allow swift location of agents in distress.

Use of unmanned aerial vehicles will be upgraded and expanded. These vehicles, together with cameras, poles, sensors and other necessary technologies will establish a security perimeter known as a virtual fence along the international borders of the U.S. to provide a barrier to illegal activity.

Fingerprint-taking technology will be upgraded to enable ten prints to be taken from each person entering the U.S.

Radiation portal monitors will be deployed at all ports of entry to screen all inbound cargo for nuclear and radiological material.

12 additional helicopters will be made available to the DEA to combat narcotics trafficking in the Caribbean.

In addition, the President will be required to certify that all necessary systems and infrastructure for the employment eligibility verification system and the Good Neighbor SAFE Visa program are ready and have been tested for reliability and accuracy, for example: secure cards can be produced, temporary worker databases are available, and the FBI is able to conduct the required fingerprint and criminal background checks.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I like that proposal, especially the 20k new spaces for IAs.

I think they're a little short on the manpower though and resources. May need to bump that a little.

tomneal

what I'd really like to see

Post by tomneal »

what I'd really like to see

is for them to transfer all the BATFE agents to Boarder Patrol

and

transfer the A, the T, and the E to the FBI

and

just drop the F
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Diode

Re: what I'd really like to see

Post by Diode »

tomneal wrote:what I'd really like to see

is for them to transfer all the BATFE agents to Boarder Patrol

and

transfer the A, the T, and the E to the FBI

and

just drop the F
Now there is a plan!