Congressional District 22 - Tom Delay's vacant seat.

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
John
Posts in topic: 5

Congressional District 22 - Tom Delay's vacant seat.

Post by John »

This is a little off of the subject of gun control, but fits under the heading of “Federal�. I live in Fort Bend County, Congressional District 22, and went to the Texas GOP website seeking an update on Tom Delay’s vacated seat. My current understanding is that Delay has officially requested that his name be removed from the ballot, so there will be no Republican on the ballot, but one can write in any name. I was extremely disappointed to see that all I can find on the Texas GOP web site is negative campaigning against democrats. Not a thing there about what District 22 voters can expect in November.

Hopefully they will start gearing up to actively campaign for a write in candidate, but whom? As far as I know, there are two people plying for a write in candidacy, Mayor of Sugar Land, David G. Wallace and Houston City Council Woman, Shelley Sekula-Gibbs.

I started researching the potential write in candidates and found this page on David Wallace, Mayor of Sugar Land: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_G._Wallace

I like what I am reading about him:
Social issues
A conservative Republican, Wallace is pro-life on the issue of abortion. He is opposed to gun control, and has also shown opposition to same-sex marriage.

Fiscal issues
Wallace is a fiscal conservative who pledges to use his experience in financial services to fight for lower taxes, as well as a plan to curb the growing national deficit.

Immigration Reform
Wallace has also pledged to use his experience in shaping legislation to secure the nation's borders through the U.S. Conference of Mayors to push for a plan aimed at securing borders, strengthening immigration laws, and stopping illegal immigrants.

Foreign policy
Wallace has pledged to support President George W. Bush on the ongoing War on Terror, and guarantees a strong military that has the necessary strength for success.
He almost sounds too good to be true, but then Sugar Land is a pretty conservative area.

The same Wikipedia did not have a page on Shelley Sekula-Gibbs, but she has a web site at: http://www.sekula-gibbs.com/index.php

I really am just starting to research this, but she sounds like a fiscal conservative with a liberal lean on social issues.

I plan to keep researching this subject, but hopefully the Texas GOP will start providing some direction soon.
JohnC

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nitrogen »

From what little I know about Nick Lampson, he doesn't seem terrible.

I wish he'd fill out vote-smart' s new NPAT, but the one he filled out in 1996 seems somewhat decent, "even though he's a Democrat."

On the NPAT he filled out in 1996, he answered we need to ease gun restrictions, etc. Granted I don't know much about him, but from what little I read, he seems okay, dispite the fact that he seems to dislike DeLay a lot.

I'd love to hear differently from anyone that knows him better. I don't live in the area, so it's completely just curiosity to me.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

Nick Lampson had an A rating from the NRA when he was in Congress (1997-2005). I lived in his district at that time. I've chatted with him and actually saw him participate in a skeet shoot.

His web site is http://www.lampson.com/.

- Jim

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

As far as I am concerned, I have the distinct feeling that Nick Lampsons' "pro-gun" stance is window dressing in his political agenda...

Being right in the middle of all this CD22 mess myself, I am actually not to impressed with the process as a whole...Many of us Precinct Chairs have been unwittingly been dragged through this whole thing, and all I feel I can do now is open my poll in November and hope we keep the liberal democrat out of this seat...

There is a lot more at stake than our gun rights...

If you want a true test, print this out, and call Lampsons office and ask them directly, and don't put up with the canned answer, put his feet to the fire and hope it burns deep!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H.R. 5092--the “Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) Modernization and Reform Act of 2006,� by Reps. Howard Coble (R-N.C.) and Bobby Scott (D-Va.) -- will curb the agency’s efforts to revoke dealers’ licenses for minor paperwork errors, improve the appeals process for dealers, and, establish new guidelines for BATFE investigations. This bill was drafted in large part to address recent, blatant BATFE abuses at Richmond, Virginia gun shows highlighted in hearings before the U.S. House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security.

H.R. 5005--the “Firearms Corrections and Improvements Act,� by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Tex.) -- will protect gun owners’ privacy by creating a permanent version of the “Tiahrt Amendment,� preventing disclosure of gun owner records outside of legitimate criminal investigations. The bill also includes a ban on BATFE retrieving out-of-business dealers’ records by the gun owner’s name—making permanent an appropriations restriction that’s been in effect for the last 10 years. Among other reforms, H.R. 5005 will also permanently ban federal fees on instant background checks and roll back various restrictions on firearms industry activities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan to call Bob Smither's and Shelley Sekula-Gibbs' offices personally and get my own answers and see how those candidates feel about these bills...Even though I know all of these candidates will not get a chance to vote on them, its a good barometer to where they all stand on the issue...

But then again, anything can change once you get elected these days...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
John

Post by John »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Being right in the middle of all this CD22 mess myself, I am actually not to impressed with the process as a whole...Many of us Precinct Chairs have been unwittingly been dragged through this whole thing, and all I feel I can do now is open my poll in November and hope we keep the liberal democrat out of this seat...
I agree! However, if SSG wins, it'll be in court for a while.
JohnC

Topic author
John

Post by John »

Looks like the Texas State Rifle Association is recommending Nick Lampson. I am interested in learning why they picked her over Sekula-Gibbs. See federal list at this link:
TSRA Voters Guide
JohnC

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I didn't notice that. I can only guess that Mr. Lamspon has a voting record as a congressman, whereas Ms. Sekula-Gibbs does not.

I lived in the 9th District before redistricting, and Mr. Lampson represented it. The NRA endorsed him at that time.

There are several other races this year where the incumbent Democrat is endorsed.

- Jim

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

John wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:Being right in the middle of all this CD22 mess myself, I am actually not to impressed with the process as a whole...Many of us Precinct Chairs have been unwittingly been dragged through this whole thing, and all I feel I can do now is open my poll in November and hope we keep the liberal democrat out of this seat...
I agree! However, if SSG wins, it'll be in court for a while.
It will be one more illustration to the futility of liberal politics...

I hope they lose their collective donkeys!

And it costs them in the pocket book...

So much to set us up for easier pickings in '08...

A little secret guys...SSG is progun...She may not have the wheels greased by the NRA or the TSRA, but given the chance, I can tell you she'll be up there to make the correct decisions in regards to 2 Amendment issues...

She does keep an eye on websites like this one...I told her to...

Now if I can just get her to keep her hands off our cigarettes... :lol:

BTW, I don't smoke...But I have many friends who do...Does kinda put us in a quandry...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
John

Post by John »

stevie_d_64 wrote:A little secret guys...SSG is progun...She may not have the wheels greased by the NRA or the TSRA, but given the chance, I can tell you she'll be up there to make the correct decisions in regards to 2 Amendment issues...
Agreed... The TSRA gives her a A rating, but endorsed Lampson. I'll not vote for Lampson.
JohnC

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't think much of the TSRA's list. In Congressional district 22 they didn't rate Bob Smithers who is a serious contender in that race. They never sent me a questionaire nor rated me. I am the only person running against the incumbent.

Whether or not folks agree with the Libertarian point of view most folks understand that Libertarians will give be pro 2nd Amendment. Although I can not understand the reasoning behind the TSRA's slight I do hope I get an opportunity to work with them.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The TSRA voters guide gave Mr. Smither an A grade.

What position are you running for? I might be in the district. Do you have a web site or something?

- Jim

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

seamusTX wrote:The TSRA voters guide gave Mr. Smither an A grade.

What position are you running for? I might be in the district. Do you have a web site or something?

- Jim
I was mistaken. I was looking at the state wide offices and they didn't have any libertarians listed. A quick look on the Federal side did have Bob Smithers listed. I think he was the only Libertarian rated.
If everyone will forgive me. I try very hard not to campain here because of my respect for the forum.
State Rep District 23.
I have a blog not a campaign site at http://www.libertysblog.com. My political perspective is fairly well documented there.

Topic author
John

Post by John »

Liberty wrote: I have a blog not a campaign site at http://www.libertysblog.com. My political perspective is fairly well documented there.
I took a look at your blog. Your PCO blog is of interest to me. That's my industry and I have been thinking of doing something similar.
JohnC

Return to “Federal”