Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Re: EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammo

Post by ELB »

EPA Denies Petition to Ban Lead Ammo

From Chris Dolnack at NSSF twitter feed:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EPA denied the Center For Biodiversity's petition on traditional ammunition ban! Thank you sweeps! Good guys win!
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Retweeted by 4 people
.chrisdolnack
Chris Dolnack
USAF 1982-2005

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Re: EPA Considering Banning Lead Ammo - DENIED

Post by OldCannon »

While I think it's great that the EPA has admitted they would be exceeding their jurisdiction by limiting ammo (since Congress already excluded it), we should find a way to support our fellow fishermen, who are STILL facing consideration from the EPA to ban lead weights. While such consideration would likely have less of an impact on the livelihood of fishermen, we should carefully consider the fact that a lead ammunition ban would STILL be under consideration were it not for a congressional law. I think the key point here is that the administration should be reined in -- their job is to enforce what has been authorized by congress, not to go invent new things to regulate (yes, I know they do it all the time, doesn't mean I have to let them do what they please)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

I'll add another reason. Raw lead, like might be purchased to cast bullets, would still be regulated.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

A little late, but here is the response from KBH:
Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) review of lead in hunting ammunition and fishing equipment. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

The Center for Biological Diversity submitted a petition to the EPA on August 3, 2010 to ban the use of lead in such ammunition and equipment. Currently, lead is allowed in bullets and shotgun pellets. On August 27, 2010 the EPA ruled against banning lead in ammunition. Further, the EPA declared that lead in ammunition is not within the agency’s jurisdiction. Although the EPA has dropped its review of lead ammunition, it is continuing its review of a potential ban on lead fishing sinkers and lures.

I strongly support our ability to legally hunt and fish in Texas. Hunting and fishing have a rich history in our state. From deer hunting in locations similar to our beautiful Hill Country to bass fishing in places akin to Lake Fork, our diverse and unique environment across Texas makes our state an ideal place to participate in the sport of hunting and fishing.

You may be sure that I will closely monitor the EPA's investigation into the effects on the environment of lead fishing sinkers and lures. I will keep your views in mind should the Senate vote on any legislation regarding lead ammunition or fishing equipment.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Return to “Federal”