What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 1

Rep. Charlie Rangel -- Gulity

Post by i8godzilla »

List of the charges can be found here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... ontentBody" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems he was found guilty on 11 of the charges (I believe they combined two of the charges) and was not found guilty of: 13. Conduct in Violation of the Code of Conduct: Conduct Reflecting Discredibility (sic) on the House

NOT GUILTY?
13. Conduct in Violation of the Code of Conduct: Conduct Reflecting Discredibility (sic) on the House

* House Rules state that a Member "shall behave at all times in a manner that shall reflect creditably on the House."
* Subcommittee finds Rangel violated this with the following offenses:

1. -Improper solicitations of potential donors to the Rangel Center

-Acceptance of favors and benefits from donors to the Rangel Center in a way that some might see as influence the job he does in Congress

-Knowingly accepting indirect gifts from donors to the Rangel Center

-Improperly using franking privileges to raise money for the Rangel Center

-Writing solicitations for the Rangel Center on House property

-Misusing House resources- staff, phones, e-mail and franking for work related to the Rangel Center.
2. -Misuse of Congressional letterhead to solicit donations to the Rangel Center

-Failing to disclose, from 1998 to 2007, full and complete financial statements
3. -Rangel's pattern of submitting Financial Disclosure statements that were incomplete and inaccurate

-Failing to make sure his Financial Disclosure statements were complete and accurate

-Violating the Ethics in Government Act

-Failing to report rental income from his villa in the Dominican Republic on his Federal income tax returns from 1998 to 2006
4. -Violating the Internal Revenue Code

5. -Receiving rent stabilized apartment, using it for campaign activities when the lease stated it should be used only for living purposes

6. -Accepting the rent stabilized apartment in a way that could look like he was influence in his government activities by the deal

7. -By breaking the law, Rangel violated the Code of Ethics for Government Service

8. -By not adhering to the letter and spirit of House Rules

-"Respondent's pattern of indifference or disregard for the laws, rules and regulations of the United States and the House of Representatives is a serious violation"

9. -"Respondent's actions and accumulation of actions reflected poorly on the institution of the House and, thereby, brought discredit to the House"

So, not guilty of Code of Conduct violations? Are you kidding me? Really? Now, we know what is acceptable behavior of our elected officials, by our elected officials. :banghead: :banghead:
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

The Annoyed Man

Re: Rep. Charlie Rangel -- Gulity

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Democrats in congress pay mere lip-service to the law. The cretins.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

You did bad things...but you are not a bad person. :biggrinjester:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Bart

Post by Bart »

What's the consequence of the guilty verdict? Does he get more seniority in congress?
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Democrats in congress pay mere lip-service to the law. The cretins.
Your rude comment is an insult to cretins all around the globe. :smilelol5:
NRA Endowment Member

Ziran

Post by Ziran »

Bart wrote:What's the consequence of the guilty verdict? Does he get more seniority in congress?
How now has street cred with his constituents.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Ben Stein, a supposed conservative, seems to think Rangel is being mistreated, given Rangel's Korean war service...

boba

Post by boba »

Rangel is crooked. He should lose his job and his government pension(s) including VA benefits.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Democrats in congress pay mere lip-service to the law. The cretins.
Unless they are after someone who is not a demoncrat. :mad5

After reading the charges he was found guilty of, I came to the conclusion that had any one who lives in his neighborhood been charged and convicted of the same things, that person would now be sitting in a penitentiary serving a minimum of 5 years on at least 3 separate charges. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Last edited by OldCurlyWolf on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

Happy new year.

Happy new congress!1!!
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

Return to “Federal”