2012 Presidential Election

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Shoot Straight
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2012 Presidential Election

Post by Shoot Straight »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:He has one of those rare NYC CHL's, but is in favor of bringing back the assault weapons ban, and for
having a waiting period for firearms purchases. He trusts himself, but not other law-abiding gun owners.
He sounds more and more like Feinstein and other California politicians.
Ride
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

Dave2
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dave2 »

loadedliberal wrote:With little chance of a strong primary challenger myself and (some) others on left may defect for a reasonable republican.
What do you define as "reasonable"?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

Dave2 wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:With little chance of a strong primary challenger myself and (some) others on left may defect for a reasonable republican.
What do you define as "reasonable"?
Collin Powell would be a good start.

(edit)
See below
Last edited by The Mad Moderate on Mon May 02, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

The Mad Moderate

hirundo82 wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:If the Republicans can put up someone who is not insane I might be able to swallow a vote for a (R). i am losing patience with Obama on a daily basis he is not the Obama I voted for in 2008. With little chance of a strong primary challenger myself and (some) others on left may defect for a reasonable republican.
If the Republicans were to nominate a libertarian-leaning candidate(not Ron Paul) I think they would have a good chance of pulling in many from the civil liberties wing of the Democratic party. Concentrate on ending the wars in the Middle East, ending the drug war, reigning in the civil liberties abuses which have been propogated by both parties since 9/11.

Unfortunately, I don't think such a candidate has much of a chance in the Republican primaries.

If you can find 'em I'll vote for him.

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 7

Post by hirundo82 »

loadedliberal wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:If the Republicans can put up someone who is not insane I might be able to swallow a vote for a (R). i am losing patience with Obama on a daily basis he is not the Obama I voted for in 2008. With little chance of a strong primary challenger myself and (some) others on left may defect for a reasonable republican.
If the Republicans were to nominate a libertarian-leaning candidate(not Ron Paul) I think they would have a good chance of pulling in many from the civil liberties wing of the Democratic party. Concentrate on ending the wars in the Middle East, ending the drug war, reigning in the civil liberties abuses which have been propogated by both parties since 9/11.

Unfortunately, I don't think such a candidate has much of a chance in the Republican primaries.

If you can find 'em I'll vote for him.
Gary Johnson

Add sensible immigration reform to my list of criteria above, and pull in a sizable percentage of the Hispanic vote as well. That's unlikely to come about from a Democrat because two large Democratic constituencies--unions and blacks--are opposed to it.

ETA: By "sensible immigration reform" I primarily mean a guest worker program, not necessarily including a path to citizenship. While the immigration quota system is flawed and desperately needs to be expanded, the most pressing immigration issue (at least politically) is illegal immigration. I think that could be largely resolved by a guest worker system, since those who come here illegally now don't necessarily want to stay in the US permanently but simply want to earn money to send back to their family.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Ameer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ameer »

hirundo82 wrote:ETA: By "sensible immigration reform" I primarily mean a guest worker program, not necessarily including a path to citizenship.
Why do we need unskilled guest workers when there's 10% unemployment?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 7

Post by hirundo82 »

Ameer wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:ETA: By "sensible immigration reform" I primarily mean a guest worker program, not necessarily including a path to citizenship.
If there are no jobs, they won't come--the poor economy has already cut down on the number of illegal border crossings. Provide a mechanism for them to come and work legally and let the market determine how many.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

The Mad Moderate

hirundo82 wrote:
Ameer wrote:
If there are no jobs, they won't come--the poor economy has already cut down on the number of illegal border crossings. Provide a mechanism for them to come and work legally and let the market determine how many.
To me the best way to tackle immigration reform is to go after the people employing them. If Congress was to create a measure which included huge penalties up to and including having their business seized if they knowingly employ illegal immigrants. But for this to work it would require enforcement and enforcement requires lots of money. I also doubt that it would pass no matter who was in charge.
(ETA)
If we dry up the supply of jobs available to "undocumented workers" they will have no reason to come in the first place.

-Francois Guisot

Medic624
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Medic624 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... gun-owners

Although I seriously don't think "The Donald" will actually run, he's been quite the media darling with his
on-air comments and his current 1st place ranking (among prospective Rep candidates).

He has one of those rare NYC CHL's, but is in favor of bringing back the assault weapons ban, and for
having a waiting period for firearms purchases. He trusts himself, but not other law-abiding gun owners.

If he did run, and he did win, the US could be looking at multiple First Ladies during his tenure. :-)

SIA
I personally think "The Donald" is simply putting his butt out there to drag out Obama stuff that lib media wont cover and he really has no repercussions because he really is a distraction and yelling the Obama has no clothes!

He went on the media circuit yelling about the birth certificate and What do You Know!!!

Suddenly a "birth cert" shows up...

Now as a redirection he (Obama) comes out makes the statement he vows to find Bin Laden and what do you know a few days later... bin Laden is dead! Doesn't matter people won't give him credit for killing him and the lefties are upset he took up where Bush finished as far as the wars go...

I don't know who will be a VIABLE front runner but we need someone... maybe West can step up... We will have to wait and see!?,
:patriot: :txflag: :patriot:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

texasmusic
Posts in topic: 5

Post by texasmusic »

hirundo82 wrote:
If the Republicans were to nominate a libertarian-leaning candidate (not Ron Paul) I think they would have a good chance of pulling in many from the civil liberties wing of the Democratic party. Concentrate on ending the wars in the Middle East, ending the drug war, reigning in the civil liberties abuses which have been propogated by both parties since 9/11.

What's wrong with Paul?

I ask because I know a little about him, but from what I hear him say, he has his head on straight.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

texasmusic wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
If the Republicans were to nominate a libertarian-leaning candidate (not Ron Paul) I think they would have a good chance of pulling in many from the civil liberties wing of the Democratic party. Concentrate on ending the wars in the Middle East, ending the drug war, reigning in the civil liberties abuses which have been propogated by both parties since 9/11.

What's wrong with Paul?

I ask because I know a little about him, but from what I hear him say, he has his head on straight.
I've heard that he's "a loon", but I don't know why. The only "bad" thing I've heard him say is that he's for pressuring North Vietnam to give us the rest of the MIAs back. I suppose that might be a bit conspiracy-ish, but assuming there are any of our soldiers are still in prison over there, I'm for bringing them home. <shrug>

If that's the worst his critics can come up with, he should win by a landslide.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

he's a nut-job, but he's our (Texas') nut-job. He's very, very insolationist. He's ok as a senator, but as a pres?? let's just say he's my private little joke....my little fall back.

Apparently, Cain knocked it's out the park tonight at the Fox debate.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

SewTexas wrote:he's a nut-job, but he's our (Texas') nut-job. He's very, very insolationist.
He's quite adamant that he's non-interventionist, not isolationist.

Medic624
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Medic624 »

Anyone else get a chance to watch the Fox News Republican 2012 Presidential debate??

VERY INFORMATIVE...

http://www.google.com/search?q=fox+news ... 81&bih=661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

texasmusic
Posts in topic: 5

Post by texasmusic »

Dave2 wrote:
SewTexas wrote:he's a nut-job, but he's our (Texas') nut-job. He's very, very insolationist.
He's quite adamant that he's non-interventionist, not isolationist.
The one thing that worry's me about him is, he needs to be able to wage on heck of a war if we need him to. If we are just going to step to the side of the global scene (which I believe we should) we should be prepared for whatever consequences that has. It may lead to peace because we stop funding both sides of every conflict, it may lead to a serious war because we took everybody off international welfare. I just think a president who is going to pull out of international affairs right now needs to realize that it might have unexpected consequences. He might think too much about the principle of the former and not the latter.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Return to “Federal”