Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United States

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United States

Postby Medic624 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:23 pm

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110527/ ... 1.323.html

Per the article if you have a mannerism that this "machine" determines to be consistent with the "intent" to commit a malicious or terrorist act it flags you as a threat and the "Authorities" react accordingly.

It is not enough that they have all but thrown out our 4th Amendment rights by full body scanners and near sexual accosting during pat downs. If this voodoo technology is instituted as statistically viable we all now have to worry about the look on our faces or our mannerisms as we walk through a public place so as not to be flagged as a plotting terrorist.

Given the synopsis of the technology (if deemed viable) the scenario can be ... "Sir, you need to follow me, we have to question you about your facial expressions and elevated heart rate as you were walking down the corridor just a moment ago!" ... WHAT!?!? :shock:

Im not a conspiracy theorist or an alarmist by ANY means. I simply want, like so many others, is to be left alone to live my life, raise my children and live in a free Republic where the Government is there to assist the CITIZENS in running the country not the Govt running the citizens... :waiting:

This is one more movement being used under the guise of public safety ...

Chinese saying, "A single drop of water has no power. But a million drops moving in the same direction at the same time have the awesome power of a tidal wave"

:patriot: :txflag: :patriot:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington
User avatar
Medic624
Senior Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm
Location: Pearland

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby The Mad Moderate » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm ok with this to a point I think behavioral profiling can be a more successful tool for security that some of the things we are trying now. I think Israel has used something to this effect for some time now. I have heard many people on the right call for just this type of technology, or they meant profile muslims and used this a a thin cover for their xenophobia.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot
User avatar
The Mad Moderate
Senior Member
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Marble Falls

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby Medic624 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 pm

loadedliberal wrote:I'm ok with this to a point I think behavioral profiling can be a more successful tool for security that some of the things we are trying now. I think Israel has used something to this effect for some time now. I have heard many people on the right call for just this type of technology, or they meant profile muslims and used this a a thin cover for their xenophobia.


Really?!? Wow, the "Right" were calling for a decrease in our personal rights? As far as Xenophobia... well, there are always fringe crazies in every group.

Israel has it down to an efficient science but I'm not sure if it based on a computer based algorithm to determine that someone is a potential mass murderer.

My other issue (is if this is deemed as a viable means to determine who is a threat) this will NOT be simply relegated to the airport. As such they are already making plans to place the full body scanners in Federal courthouses and other sensitive areas the public frequents. Again, under the guise of "We want to ensure that YOU are safe from bad people".
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington
User avatar
Medic624
Senior Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm
Location: Pearland

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby The Mad Moderate » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Medic624 wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:I'm ok with this to a point I think behavioral profiling can be a more successful tool for security that some of the things we are trying now. I think Israel has used something to this effect for some time now. I have heard many people on the right call for just this type of technology, or they meant profile muslims and used this a a thin cover for their xenophobia.


Really?!? Wow, the "Right" were calling for a decrease in our personal rights? As far as Xenophobia... well, there are always fringe crazies in every group.

Israel has it down to an efficient science but I'm not sure if it based on a computer based algorithm to determine that someone is a potential mass murderer.

My other issue (is if this is deemed as a viable means to determine who is a threat) this will NOT be simply relegated to the airport. As such they are already making plans to place the full body scanners in Federal courthouses and other sensitive areas the public frequents. Again, under the guise of "We want to ensure that YOU are safe from bad people".

Two words, Patriot Act
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot
User avatar
The Mad Moderate
Senior Member
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Marble Falls

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby Pawpaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:49 pm

That's too "1984" for me.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin 1759
User avatar
Pawpaw
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby Medic624 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:52 pm

loadedliberal wrote:
Medic624 wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:I'm ok with this to a point I think behavioral profiling can be a more successful tool for security that some of the things we are trying now. I think Israel has used something to this effect for some time now. I have heard many people on the right call for just this type of technology, or they meant profile muslims and used this a a thin cover for their xenophobia.


Really?!? Wow, the "Right" were calling for a decrease in our personal rights? As far as Xenophobia... well, there are always fringe crazies in every group.

Israel has it down to an efficient science but I'm not sure if it based on a computer based algorithm to determine that someone is a potential mass murderer.

My other issue (is if this is deemed as a viable means to determine who is a threat) this will NOT be simply relegated to the airport. As such they are already making plans to place the full body scanners in Federal courthouses and other sensitive areas the public frequents. Again, under the guise of "We want to ensure that YOU are safe from bad
Two words, Patriot Act


Ha ha... Ya know what, your right!

That too with all it's "good" intentions when placed in the hands of individuals who feel they are smarter and more equipped to understand the complexities of the world it can be and at times was used to infringe upon the rights of innocent law abiding citizens.
But that fully illustrates my point on why this is a possible slippery slope based on the judgement of a computer program.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington
User avatar
Medic624
Senior Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm
Location: Pearland

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby OldSchool » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Control and paranoia are not unique either to the left (Stalin) or the right (Hitler), but to dictators of all stripes. Indeed, this all sounds quite familiar (KGB, Stasi). Uh, did Russia win?

As for me, a smart-aleck old backwoods hillbilly with an attitude --


...OK, I'm dead.... :evil2:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!
User avatar
OldSchool
Senior Member
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: Brazoria County

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby rp_photo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 am

Like most other intrusive law enforcement practices, it will incovenience and "false positive" good people while having little effect on wrongdoers.

Wake up, sheeple!
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"
rp_photo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby The Mad Moderate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:24 pm

rp_photo wrote:Like most other intrusive law enforcement practices, it will incovenience and "false positive" good people while having little effect on wrongdoers.

Wake up, sheeple!

What do you suggest we do?
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot
User avatar
The Mad Moderate
Senior Member
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Marble Falls

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby rp_photo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:32 pm

loadedliberal wrote:What do you suggest we do?


A good start would be for Texas to not cave to the TSA/DHS and call their bluff as far as the anti-pat down legislation.

Ditto for the EPA and all the other ways Washington is trying to punish Texas.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"
rp_photo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby The Mad Moderate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:36 pm

rp_photo wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:What do you suggest we do?


A good start would be for Texas to not cave to the TSA/DHS and call their bluff as far as the anti-pat down legislation.

Ditto for the EPA and all the other ways Washington is trying to punish Texas.

Again what do you suggest we do that would help with security. And how is washington trying to "punish Texas"
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot
User avatar
The Mad Moderate
Senior Member
 
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Marble Falls

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby Medic624 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm

rp_photo wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:What do you suggest we do?


A good start would be for Texas to not cave to the TSA/DHS and call their bluff as far as the anti-pat down legislation.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

The Feds also declined Governor Perrys request for state of emergency aid a few weeks ago at the height of the wildfires... Oh and snubbing Houston by not giving them a Space Shuttle... That one is just petty!

As far a security... Well, stop worrying about offending sub sects and use the same/similar security techniques used by Israel. Everyone should be scrutinized the same and not given a pass because it may be construed as "profiling" and we may offend someone... That will be and has been exploited. Unfortunately, there is a basis in fact when it come to not only stereotyping but also the reason behind profiling. If it waddles, swims and quacks it ain't a frog. I'm not saying profile people I'm saying EVERYONE gets the same scrutiny.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington
User avatar
Medic624
Senior Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:56 pm
Location: Pearland

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby rp_photo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm

How ironic that the Patriot Act mostly persecutes honest patriots.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"
rp_photo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby rp_photo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:58 pm

loadedliberal wrote:how is washington trying to "punish Texas"


EPA back-door cap and tax forced on our refineries.

Denial of wildfire disaster declaration and aid.

Foot-dragging on BP spill cleanup and use of some stupid union rule to bar those who were ready and willing to help.

Cancellation of NASA programs.

Denial of a Shuttle to Houston.

I may have left a few out.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"
rp_photo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United St

Postby Dave2 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:54 pm

loadedliberal wrote:
rp_photo wrote:Like most other intrusive law enforcement practices, it will incovenience and "false positive" good people while having little effect on wrongdoers.

Wake up, sheeple!

What do you suggest we do?

See, that's the catch. If someone really wants to bring down a plane, there's not much we can do to stop them. It's kinda like the "analog loophole" for music piracy -- the music files can have all the fancy DRM in the world, but that can't stop me from sticking a DI box in front of the speakers and pushing the record button. The only way to keep bombs off planes is to not let anything or anyone (they might've stuck it in a place "where the sun don't shine") on the plane in the first place, and that sorta defeats the purpose.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.
Dave2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Plano, TX

Next

Return to Federal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest