What if...

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Re: What if...

Post by jmra »

My last post on this topic.

I believe what you propose is at best fantasy. I return to my original statement - your desire (the death of the religious right) will result in the death of the very thing you claim to hold dear, the constitution itself. I can only pray that for the sake of generations to come that your desire never becomes reality.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Honestly, IMO, folks who feel compelled to bring religion into public education are just wrong. If they can't manage to satisfy their religious needs in the other 17 hours of the day, then the best solution is to go to a religious-affiliated school. We live in a country where the freedom to practice religion is counterbalanced by the temperance required to accommodate more than one religious view. For me, it really is that simple.

I think I'm about done on this topic, but, thanks for the discussion.
why? I agree somewhat, teaching to convert is wrong. The schools teach Darwin's theory of evelution. So why not also teach some of Genises from the Bible (creationism)? I personally think Darwinism and the Bible teach some of the same, and that the Bible is mostly a Jewish history. I do agree with the sect of Jewdeaism that believes that one must argue the ideas. Look at what we are doing here.
You yourself have expressed an opinion about reporters that are biased about reporting the "news.". Why be biased about what is taught in the school, as long as it is balanced both pro and con. This is a major issue with college teaching, they want you to think inside the box, think along the norm, think the way we direct you to think.
Prayer in school? "Iwant everyone to stand and join me in prayer" would be wrong, they are being directed. "Those of you that would like to join with me in a moment of prayer" would be ok because it gives a choice.
Enough of my rant.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RoyGBiv »

MeMelYup wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Honestly, IMO, folks who feel compelled to bring religion into public education are just wrong. If they can't manage to satisfy their religious needs in the other 17 hours of the day, then the best solution is to go to a religious-affiliated school. We live in a country where the freedom to practice religion is counterbalanced by the temperance required to accommodate more than one religious view. For me, it really is that simple.

I think I'm about done on this topic, but, thanks for the discussion.
why? I agree somewhat, teaching to convert is wrong. The schools teach Darwin's theory of evelution. So why not also teach some of Genises from the Bible (creationism)? I personally think Darwinism and the Bible teach some of the same, and that the Bible is mostly a Jewish history. I do agree with the sect of Jewdeaism that believes that one must argue the ideas. Look at what we are doing here.
You yourself have expressed an opinion about reporters that are biased about reporting the "news.". Why be biased about what is taught in the school, as long as it is balanced both pro and con. This is a major issue with college teaching, they want you to think inside the box, think along the norm, think the way we direct you to think.
Prayer in school? "Iwant everyone to stand and join me in prayer" would be wrong, they are being directed. "Those of you that would like to join with me in a moment of prayer" would be ok because it gives a choice.
Enough of my rant.
There's a clear difference (to me) teaching about the history and practices of various religions in schools vs. "Prayer", which is actually "practicing" religion. At the university level certainly, and in many HS's, I've seen classes on "Major Religions" that I have never had any concerns about.... Even in lower grades (these topics started coming up for my kids in 1st or 2nd grade, IIRC), an understanding that people have different religious beliefs and some age appropriate information about those various beliefs is, IMO, appropriate. I think it's a necessary part of anyone's education, actually.

A teacher, or some other "prayer leader" taking time from class (or lunch, or recess) to actually say prayers (or just one), to actually "practice religion" at a time when it would be unavoidable for my child to opt out or avoid the experience or the fallout from not participating .... is entirely unacceptable.

Again... I can pray any time during the other 17 hours in the day. Why is prayer in public school such a necessity? :headscratch The need for this honestly baffles me. I want religion taught to my children BY ME and those I specifically choose to do so. The idea of a public school doing it is simply not ok.... Public schools don't do a good enough job with Math and Science, I'm going to trust them with Religion? And what version of who's religion would that be anyway? Would Protestants be ok with Baptists or Catholics (oh my.! ;-) ) leading prayer? How about a Buddhist? :headscratch

Ok.. maybe THIS will be my last post... :lol: :oops: :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Federal”