Ron Paul running for President!

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

Here's some interesting viewing for y'all who are interested in Ron Paul. As you may know, he was the highlight of the New Hampshire Liberty Forum, which was held February 21-25. John Stossell was actually the "big name" Saturday night keynote speaker, but Ron Paul was the one who really stirred up the troops by his presence. There was a welcoming party and fundraiser for Paul on Saturday night after the NHLF events were over, where 150 people crammed into a private home to hear him speak, and donated over $14,000 to his exploratory committee.

By the way, Ron Paul is appearing on C-SPAN monday morning, on Washington Journal, to officially announce his candidacy for the GOP nomination for President. I obviously won't be awake then, but I have my tivo set!

Anyhoo, here are the videos:

(Irena Goddard, event coordinator, a lovely gal who escaped communist Czechoslovakia before the iron curtain fell. Mostly acknowledgments and thank-yous; probably not that interesting for those not actively involved in the FSP or other Liberty movements, except for the fact that over 350 Liberty lovers showed up in New Hampshire in February (!) for five days of meetings, seminars, and speeches.)

(Don Gorman, Director of Political Action for the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, is somewhat fired up as he introduces Ron Paul. :grin: )

And finally,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4433&hl=en
(Ron Paul's 48 minute speech. I ask those of you who disagree with him on specific issues to look at the overall issue: Liberty, and how to have it here in America. Folks here will especially enjoy the speech about 42 minutes into it, where he first mentions the 2nd Amendment. Please note that Liberty lovers applaud as thunderously for the RKBA, as they do for cutting taxes, non-interventionist foreign policy, the gold and silver standards, and legalized marijuana.)

Enjoy. And don't forget to cast your vote for the videos!

Kevin

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KD5NRH »

jrosto wrote:War on terror:
Our current welfare system also encourages illegal immigration by discouraging American citizens from taking low-wage jobs. This creates greater demand for illegal foreign labor ...
Yep. Get rid of the welfare programs, and you'll have to fence off the border to control them; otherwise they'll splash the Rio Grande dry running south so fast.

Geister
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Geister »

Mike1951 wrote: If it comes down to Giuliani or McCain against any of the liberal Democrats now mentioned, you bet I'll vote for either one.

I would vote for Ron Paul in our Republican primary, if given the chance. But if he (or anyone else) tries to run as a third party or independent candidate, I will not squander my vote just to make a statement.
Then obviously you're not voting with your gun rights in mind. What's the point?

By voting for Giuliani or McCain instead of Paul you're sending a statement that you're willing to give up many of your gun rights.

We really need to drop this "lesser or two evils" line. What good does it do to us? Frankly I see Giuliani or McCain coming after our guns just as much as Billary.

Sometimes I think the gun lobby does more harm to itself than anything. We need to stop thinking that every Republican out there is better than every Democrat. The next election makes it evident that they are pretty much the same; only Paul and Duncan really stand out, but like you said they are more or less independent.

Geister
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Geister »

Thane wrote:
1) What is Mr. Paul's stance on the border? I've heard of some libertarians advocating open borders, a notoriously bad idea in this age of terrorism. I'm all for every freedom once you're in this country, but we do need to maintain our boundaries. Too many islamo-terrorists have been found who learned Spanish and snuck through just like any old illegal.
I'm libertarian and right now I'm for closing most of the borders. Libertarian is not something we can just immediately jump into; it takes steps. If we started with a libertarian government now, it would take 200 to 300 years before we had a truly libertarian society.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

Geister wrote:Then obviously you're not voting with your gun rights in mind. What's the point?
I feel the same about folks who waste their vote on a candidate that can't possibly be elected just to make their protest known.
We really need to drop this "lesser or two evils" line. What good does it do to us? Frankly I see Giuliani or McCain coming after our guns just as much as Billary.
Like it or not, we have a two party system and the time hasn't arrived when a third party candidate has even the remotest chance of winning.

Since I wrote this, there are at least two excellent possibilities as candidates, Bill Richardson and Fred Thompson. So depending on who the opposition turns out to be, I might vote Democratic or Republican for that particular office. But I will never squander a vote for a third party or independent candidate!

After all, it was supporters of Perot that gave us Bill Clinton!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

pistolchamp

not perfect

Post by pistolchamp »

Guiliani is certainly not perfect, but, if Kay Bailey Hutchinson was VP that team would get my support as they are electable.

A good friend went to law school with Kay and said she is a mean hearted old B..ch, but, I think that's a good thing and she is certainly on our side.

Obambam and the Hildebeast (either one in first place) could be the opposing team... and they won't help us and amazingly could win.

We need Paul as a congressman (and a few more like him) and a Pres/VP team that will carry the conservatives back into full power on their coattails.

This day in my life I will only pray that I get a team I can really support.

There are no Bush/Cheney teams in the next race... dammit!

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Mike1951 wrote:Since I wrote this, there are at least two excellent possibilities as candidates, Bill Richardson and Fred Thompson.
+1000 for Mr. Thompson. No nonsense, firm in his beliefs, and a great orator. Sadly, he would put our current President to shame.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Return to “Federal”