Will SCOTUS strike down the Affordable Healthcare Law

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Will SCOTUS strike down the Affordable Healthcare Law?

Yes - 5-4 (Strike down the mandate.)
59%
Yes - 6-3
8%
Yes - More than 7 votes
4%
No - 4-5 (Allow the mandate to stay in place.)
24%
No - 3-6
4%
No - More that 7 votes
2%

Total votes: 51

hi-power
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Will SCOTUS strike down the Affordable Healthcare Law

Post by hi-power »

Swing vote Kennedy appears to be thinking correctly!!
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... 8481.story
From the Article wrote:"One way or another, Congress will have to revisit it in toto," said Justice Antonin Scalia.
Agreeing, Justice Anthony Kennedy said it would be an "extreme proposition" to allow the various insurance regulations to stand after the mandate was struck down.

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

I just figured it out........Obama's plan........

If the Commerce clause thingy was upheld by the Supreme Court, then as suggested by many that they could control almost anything .......I know what the next move of the Administration would be........

They would pass a Nationwide Gun Registration Law and you would be forced to pay money to register your guns or have them confiscated. This would bring in more money for them to waste and would enact the Registration process "under the radar" with the precedent being the approval of SCOTUS under the Commerce clause for the Health Care Act. Thereby doing the same thing....."Creating something that didn't exist and forcing you to pay for it" all under the authority of the Commerce clause.

Think I'm wrong on this?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AEA wrote:I just figured it out........Obama's plan........

If the Commerce clause thingy was upheld by the Supreme Court, then as suggested by many that they could control almost anything .......I know what the next move of the Administration would be........

They would pass a Nationwide Gun Registration Law and you would be forced to pay money to register your guns or have them confiscated. This would bring in more money for them to waste and would enact the Registration process "under the radar" with the precedent being the approval of SCOTUS under the Commerce clause for the Health Care Act. Thereby doing the same thing....."Creating something that didn't exist and forcing you to pay for it" all under the authority of the Commerce clause.

Think I'm wrong on this?
No, it's plausible. As Justice Scalia put it, they want to create a product, and then force people to buy it. That's what they think the commerce clause empowers them to do.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 6

Post by i8godzilla »

I have not had the time today to catch-up on today's oral arguments.

Now we wait until late May or early June for the high court's ruling.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Return to “Federal”