4 New House Resolutions on the Table

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

casselthief wrote:... with a law hanging over my (and other's) head, I'm more inclined to be sure no one can get to my pistols when I may not be looking.
If the risk of having a kid kill someone (possibly including the owner of the weapon) isn't enough to make people careful, why would a law have that effect?

It's already illegal (state law).

You can teach safe handling before going to the range by using a replica, a BB gun, or even a squirt gun. You can also teach a newbie how to determine that a weapon is unloaded. I try to show that to people even if they aren't interested in anything else.

- Jim

casselthief
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casselthief »

once again, I defer to the state law, then.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kw5kw »

seamusTX wrote:There are some mighty mean critters in Texas, too -- mostly two-legged.

PC §46.13 is an interesting law. It doesn't apply in cases of self defense or "an agricultural enterprise," whatever that means.

- Jim
Agricultural enterprise.

Let's say you're driving a tractor and your tractor wheel pulls that rattlenake up an into the cab with ya.

Let's say you're patching up fence and that badger, who was hiding in the hole behind you, decides she doesn't want you near her young.

Let's say you're on out gathering stray's in the brush and out pops a mean hog comming right at you, you're on foot and your horse runs away.

Let's say that you're just out riding around the range and you see that coyote that's been killing your calves (eating up your profit (pardon the pun)).

Let's say that you're the son of the rancher who's out by yourself when any or all of this happens to you and you're only 16, but been driving a tractor since you were 10, what then, shouldn't you have that right to protect yourself... sure you would.

all of these are agrictural plus many, many more.

Russ
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

casselthief wrote: The law isn't necessarily for me, or ya'll, but for people less safe, or more dumb, or people that maybe don't live up to the higher standards that we adhere to.
People who follow proper precautions will do so without a law, so the law is of no use in their case.

People who don't follow proper precautions, won't do so just because there is a law, so the law is of no use in their case.

Either way, the law is of no use.

Kevin

casselthief1

Post by casselthief1 »

You've got a point there.
however the stipulation is that after the fact this law gives the prosecution more bite to go after someone for being negligent.
I agree with that, but I think you have to have some caution about saying what negligence is.
leaving the gun sitting on the coffee table in the living, well, maybe not the best place in the world for it.
keeping it put away in the top drawer of your dresser, well, that's the grey area.

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Venus Pax »

casselthief,
My dad bought me my first gun when I was 8 (BB gun).
You can start her off on gun safety with a water gun. Teacher her to point it in a direction where it won't shoot someone, and teacher her to keep her finger out of the trigger guard. After awhile, she'll be ready for the range. (You can also let her handle real guns that are unloaded in the house.)
My dad took all of us to the range as children. Of course, we didn't dare venture too far.
Also, don't expect to stay long at the range when she's with you. Youngsters do have short attention spans.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “Federal”