H.R. 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban...

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

maximus2161
Posts in topic: 1

Post by maximus2161 »

Does anyone think this has a chance of passing? What I dont understand is why they would push this. What the heck would it accomplish? This kind of stuff always worries me.

Also....would this impact CHL states...what I mean is would they try and do away with say TX issuing CHL's? I am just waiting for the day when we are told no more CHL's. Hope it never happens.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

maximus2161 wrote:Does anyone think this has a chance of passing? What I dont understand is why they would push this.
Since this one shows no co-sponsors, I don't think it's a "they," I think it's a "McCarthy."

If you can stomach it, go rent a DVD titled "The Long Island Incident" (or something very close to that). It was a made-for-TV movie circa 1998-1999 based, loosely and over-dramatically, on Carolyn McCarthy. Her husband was killed and her son severely injured in an attack on a Long Island commuter train.

Of course, it was the gun's fault. What else could explain it?

I'm completely uninformed here, so don't listen to me. :grin: But I think this may simply be McCarthy testing the waters of a new, Democrat majority. If she can find any support from fellow Representatives--even conversation and debate--she'll know better how to push buttons and posit a new bill later that might have a better chance of passing.

Gun banning was McCarthy's claim to fame; it's what got her elected. And her district is the most historically liberal of the three Long Island Congressional districts. So she really can't lose by throwing HR 1022 into the air and seeing if any of its sludge sticks anywhere. If it gets shot down overwhelmingly, she won't damage her standing in her district--probably strengthen it, unfortunately--and she might at least find one or two new allies she can leverage to carry her agenda forward. She won't raise Pelosi's ire by tabling the bill--no down side to Pelosi if it gets quickly squashed, and it tests similar waters for Pelosi, herself--and, heck, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg may want to buy McCarthy dinner and a very expensive bottle of wine just for bringing it up.

Maybe we need to remove New York and California from the Union. Cede 'em to Canada and Mexico.

Some of the Founding Fathers, from their graves, are :banghead:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

maximus2161 wrote:Does anyone think this has a chance of passing?
This exact bill? No.

What I dont understand is why they would push this. What the heck would it accomplish?
This is a weather balloon. It's a sacrificial bill by a sacrificial nobody. They use it to smoke out the response. At the same time, they hope to get the RKBA folks riled up about this one horrible bill, in the hopes they could slip something else through without notice while our attention is elsewhere.

Ain't politics lovely?

Kevin

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KBCraig wrote:Ain't politics lovely?

Kevin
Yeah, like a bad odor eminating from New Jersey...

I am soooo going to get it from the Jersey folks now...

Maybe I should have said Pasadena...

opps...

Pasadena, Texas...

There, see...I kept it internal... :lol:

I guess I'll get a memo soon as well...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

Its really quite frustrating and unfathomable to me to think that people actually think that a gun is any more then a tool.

A gun laying on the table is no more dangerous then the hammer laying next to it.

But here they go again, trying to protect us from ourselves and the evils of guns. :roll:
Taurus PT-111MP
Springfield XD-9 Service

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

Skiprr wrote:
Maybe we need to remove New York and California from the Union. Cede 'em to Canada and Mexico.

Some of the Founding Fathers, from their graves, are :banghead:
Actually, it's the NY metro area that needs to be severed, upstate (like north of the Tappan Zee Bridge) isn't all that bad. Without NYCity there would be no Sullivan Law in NY, Big Tim Sullivan cared nothing about upstate, all he wanted to do was ensure that his political cronies could have armed muscle with them while those not in the in crowd politically could not. It still works that way.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

This bill now has 12 cosponsors, one of them is Sheila Jackson-Lee from Texas. Link

Topic author
onerifle

Post by onerifle »

Now up to 26. :banghead:
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

kauboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kauboy »

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. :shock:
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I grew up a little over an hour north of the city in NY.

I can promise you, all of the stupidity that hits the news coming out of NY, I never witnessed any of it. I grew up with mob families, federal undercover officers and their families, and ex-military. Lots of good old boys who like to hunt and fish and shoot. Spending my summers in the Adirondaks especially.

I hate seeing how NY as a state is seen by lots of folks - but I can't and won't claim some of the folks in NYC.

FWIW, this bill needs to burn in Hades.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cyphur wrote:I grew up a little over an hour north of the city in NY.

I can promise you, all of the stupidity that hits the news coming out of NY, I never witnessed any of it. I grew up with mob families, federal undercover officers and their families, and ex-military. Lots of good old boys who like to hunt and fish and shoot. Spending my summers in the Adirondaks especially.

I hate seeing how NY as a state is seen by lots of folks - but I can't and won't claim some of the folks in NYC.

Although the place ain't the same as it was when I grew up in Massachusetts, I don't think most folks would believe the type of place that I grew up in. I freely carried rifles and shotguns, and the right toi carry a hand gun wasn't a big deal. I als spent a lot of time in Saint Albins VT, Accross the lake and in and around Lake Placid. Everyone had guns there and most knew how to use them..

Makes me kinda sick though when I hear what comes out of the citys in those states these days though.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

cyphur wrote:I grew up a little over an hour north of the city in NY.

Cool! I grew up just southwest of Albany, and hung out as far south as Woodstock (the real one) and worked in Fleischmanns, Phoenecia, and all those places as a boot phone man back in the 60's. That same territory was mine as a telephone engineer in the late 80s and early 90s, as far south as Orange and Rockland counties.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

30 cosponsors now.

Sheila Jackson-Lee is one of them (Houston).

Her name is also all over the gun bills being introduced in the 110th Congress. http://gunowners.org/110anatb.htm

Houstonians should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to elect this woman.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

All of a sudden theres a rush to jump on this thing...

Maybe they want to give this one a big push, whether it goes their way or not, to sway the Supremes when and if the 2A comes up for some sort of re-affirmation or something soon...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stroo

Post by stroo »

McCarthy doesn't even know what's in her own bill. She also flat out lies when she says that the guns proposed to be banned by this bill are the ones most used by gangs and criminals. This is from the Hugh Hewitt blog:

Thursday, April 19, 2007
Congressional Ignorance
Posted by Dean Barnett | 8:16 AM
I made a silent promise to myself to never again link to Tucker Carlson after he transformed himself from a respected journalist to a prancing ninny on “Dancing with the Stars� last year. But promises, especially silent promises, are made to be broken. You have to see this interview Tucker did with Democratic congressman Carolyn McCarthy.

McCarthy proposed a piece of gun-control legislation that would ban barrel shrouds. Tucker asked her three times why she was so worried about barrel shrouds. She dodged the question, obviously not knowing the difference between a barrel shroud and a howitzer. (Neither do I, but in my defense I’m not proposing a bill eliminating barrel shrouds, and generally speaking Jews don’t know from guns.) Tucker eventually asked her point blank if she knew what these barrel shrouds are that she so desperately wants to make illegal (for the children!), and she had to confess that she didn’t.

A couple of takeaway points here: Such is the intellectual incuriosity of many Congress-critters, Tucker had 100% confidence that McCarthy wouldn’t understand her own piece of legislation before she went on the air. He was probably licking his chops looking forward to ambushing McCarthy all afternoon. The other thing is that McCarthy is all too typical. Many of our leaders imperiously hold forth on subjects on which they are essentially clueless. Worse still, they also draft laws and craft policy on subjects on which they are essentially clueless.

Okay, I’m feeling bad for slagging on Tucker for his “Dancing with the Stars� disgrace. To make it up to him, I will heartily commend and recommend his book “Politicians, Partisans, and Parasites: My Adventures in Cable News�. It is one of the funniest and most insightful books I’ve read in the past five years.

So Tucker, no more “Dancing with the Stars.� But please write another book.

Compliments? Complaints? Contact me at Soxblog@aol.com.

You can see the interview here: http://hotair.com/archives/2007/04/18/v ... gislation/

Return to “Federal”