Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee files H.R. 65

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee files H.R. 65

Post by C-dub »

warhorse10_9 wrote: For the record, I oppose this bill, that being said. Here is the actual text of the relevant section:

`(2) Except as provided in paragraph (3), any person who--
  • (A) keeps a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, any one of which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, within any premises that is under the custody or control of that person;

(B) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that a child is capable of gaining access to the firearm; and

(C)
    • (i) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that a child will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of this title) to the child or any other person; or

(ii) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that possession of the firearm by the child is unlawful under Federal or State law,
if the child uses the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury to the child or any other person, shall be imprisoned not more than 3 years, fined under this title, or both.

(3) Paragraph (2) shall not apply if--
  • (A) at the time the child obtained access, the firearm was secured with a secure gun storage or safety device;

(B) the person is a peace officer, a member of the Armed Forces, or a member of the National Guard, and the child obtains the firearm during, or incidental to, the performance of the official duties of the person in that capacity;

(C) the child uses the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of 1 or more other persons; or

(D) the person has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises on which the firearm is kept.

The law only requires that there is no reasonable expectation that a child will gain access to the firearm.
And the part I emboldened in red. I have no knowledge that my child or any other child that comes in our house will use a gun to cause death or serious bodily injury to someone.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warhorse10_9 »

C-dub wrote:
warhorse10_9 wrote: For the record, I oppose this bill, that being said. Here is the actual text of the relevant section:

`(2) Except as provided in paragraph (3), any person who--
  • (A) keeps a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, any one of which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, within any premises that is under the custody or control of that person;

(B) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that a child is capable of gaining access to the firearm; and

(C)
    • (i) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that a child will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of this title) to the child or any other person; or

(ii) knows, or recklessly disregards the risk, that possession of the firearm by the child is unlawful under Federal or State law,
if the child uses the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury to the child or any other person, shall be imprisoned not more than 3 years, fined under this title, or both.

(3) Paragraph (2) shall not apply if--
  • (A) at the time the child obtained access, the firearm was secured with a secure gun storage or safety device;

(B) the person is a peace officer, a member of the Armed Forces, or a member of the National Guard, and the child obtains the firearm during, or incidental to, the performance of the official duties of the person in that capacity;

(C) the child uses the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of 1 or more other persons; or

(D) the person has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises on which the firearm is kept.

The law only requires that there is no reasonable expectation that a child will gain access to the firearm.
And the part I emboldened in red. I have no knowledge that my child or any other child that comes in our house will use a gun to cause death or serious bodily injury to someone.
Oh, I hear you. I would say that no one would know that and not want to do something to help their child. I think the bill is bull. I believe they would say that a person "recklessly disregarding the risk of a child doing those things."

I think this part of the bill is meant to hold parents responsible should their kids shoot someone which I agree with, but it is written so badly that it allows for abuse of the statutes by prosecutors.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

CainA wrote:Is it just me or do others just cringe when they see her name?
No. It isn't just you.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

Skiprr wrote:
No. It isn't just you.
Kind of like the Hyena's in "The Lion King." When Cheech Marin would say, "Mufasa," Whoopie would cringe.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Skiprr wrote:
No. It isn't just you.
:iagree: In addition, she is a constant, sad reminder of large pockets of misguided American voters.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

chasfm11 wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
No. It isn't just you.
:iagree: In addition, she is a constant, sad reminder of large pockets of misguided American voters.
Also known as "low information" bloc voters.

Return to “Federal”