Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee files H.R. 65

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oldtexan

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee files H.R. 65

Post by oldtexan »

On Jan 3, Rep Sheila Jackson lee (TX-18) filed H.R. 65, entitled the Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013. Here's a link to its info page on thomas.loc.gov:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D ... veData.php|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by oldtexan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee files H.R. 65

Post by PBR »

links dont work -- i cant stand her at all -- i use to work for a company where the owner of it and her were friends and she would call almost daily asking for favors or wanting something done for free
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-con ... se-bill/65
Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and (2) prohibit persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions.

Increases penalties for: (1) a second or subsequent violation by a juvenile of Brady Act provisions or for a first violation committed after an adjudication of delinquency or after a state or federal conviction for an act that, if committed by an adult, would be a serious violent felony; and (2) transferring a handgun, ammunition, semiautomatic assault weapon, or large capacity ammunition feeding device to a person who is under age 21, knowing or having reasonable cause to know that such person intended to use it in the commission of a crime of violence.

Prohibits any licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer from transferring a firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer) unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device. Authorizes the Attorney General to suspend or revoke any firearms license, or to subject the licensee to a civil penalty of up to $10,000, if the licensee has knowingly violated this prohibition.

Prohibits keeping a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm and ammunition within any premises knowing or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child: (1) is capable of gaining access to it, and (2) will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury.

Requires the parent or legal guardian of a child to ensure that a child attending a gun show is accompanied by an adult.

Authorizes the Attorney General to provide grants to enable local law enforcement agencies to develop and sponsor gun safety classes for parents and children.

Expresses the sense of Congress that each school district should provide or participate in a firearms safety program for students.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

chasfm11 wrote:http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-con ... se-bill/65
Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and (2) prohibit persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions.

Increases penalties for: (1) a second or subsequent violation by a juvenile of Brady Act provisions or for a first violation committed after an adjudication of delinquency or after a state or federal conviction for an act that, if committed by an adult, would be a serious violent felony; and (2) transferring a handgun, ammunition, semiautomatic assault weapon, or large capacity ammunition feeding device to a person who is under age 21, knowing or having reasonable cause to know that such person intended to use it in the commission of a crime of violence.

Prohibits any licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer from transferring a firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer) unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device. Authorizes the Attorney General to suspend or revoke any firearms license, or to subject the licensee to a civil penalty of up to $10,000, if the licensee has knowingly violated this prohibition.

Prohibits keeping a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm and ammunition within any premises knowing or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child: (1) is capable of gaining access to it, and (2) will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury.

Requires the parent or legal guardian of a child to ensure that a child attending a gun show is accompanied by an adult.

Authorizes the Attorney General to provide grants to enable local law enforcement agencies to develop and sponsor gun safety classes for parents and children.

Expresses the sense of Congress that each school district should provide or participate in a firearms safety program for students.
Is it just me or do most democrat legislators appear delusional?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

This one is way beyond delusional. I don't want to violate Mr. Cotton's wishes but it is my opinion this one in particular is certifiable nuts. Other representatives I can treat with respect. This one, I can't muster a moticum of respect.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

anygunanywhere wrote:

Is it just me or do most democrat legislators appear delusional?

Anygunanywhere
Actually I think this part is a great idea.
SEC. 8. EDUCATION: NATIONWIDE FIREARMS SAFETY PROGRAMS.

It is the sense of Congress that--
(1) each school district should provide or participate in a firearms safety program for students in grades kindergarten through 12 and should consult with a certified firearms instructor before establishing the curriculum for the program; and
(2) participation by students in a firearms safety program should not be mandatory if the district receives written notice from a parent of the student to exempt the student from the program.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Why do we need the schools to do this? Haven't we relegated too much of our responsibility to the schools and "village". We don't need the federal government dictating such as this.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Mack

Post by Mack »

What's the point of letting parents opt out of the gun training. Their kids are probably the ones that need it the most. :roll:
Sig Sauer P239

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Nothing good to say about her. Encountered her personally and she is a nasty, hateful, and bigoted individual.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

mojo84 wrote:Why do we need the schools to do this? Haven't we relegated too much of our responsibility to the schools and "village". We don't need the federal government dictating such as this.
:iagree: I'd love to see all kids get gun safety training that removes the fear of guns (so that they don't become irrationally afraid like so many adults seem to be) and a better understanding about how guns are legally used.

Based on my own experiences while a teacher, however, those in control of the curriculum are very likely to turn whatever sessions are held into anti-gun brainwashing seminars. Those are the last things that we need.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Useless.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
oldtexan

Post by oldtexan »

oldtexan wrote:On Jan 3, Rep Sheila Jackson lee (TX-18) filed H.R. 65, entitled the Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013. Here's a link to its info page on thomas.loc.gov:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D ... veData.php|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apparently links to searches on thomas.loc.gov are no longer available after 30 minutes. I'll stop posting them.

Post by 77346 »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Nothing good to say about her. Encountered her personally and she is a nasty, hateful, and bigoted individual.
+1 on that :thumbs2:

Quanell X would be less of a disgrace for that district... oh, shut! what am I saying?
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and (2) prohibit persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions..

What are our 18, 19, & 20 year old soldiers going to shoot? Age isn't the issue. Oh to say what I want to say.... :coolgleamA:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Am I the only one who reads that red part as meaning that "theoretically, if there were a child in my house (even though there isn't), he could access the loaded handgun and shotgun I keep by the bed (if he snuck into my house), and therefore I am in violation of the law? IF there were a child in my house, those two guns would be unsecured and accessible to him.....assuming I did not put them away for his benefit. And so since it is theoretically possible that my guns are accessible to a child (even though there is no child in my house), and since her bill does not state that the child must be in the house for this to apply, then I am theoretically in violation.

I know that is crazy talk, but this is one of the unintended consequences of the way that her bill is worded.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Federal”