Senate gun violence hearing streaming live - 1/30 9:30am

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Senate gun violence hearing streaming live - 1/30 9:30am

Post by anygunanywhere »

Revet wrote:Right on! Sen. Lindsey Graham is doing a great job refuting some of the banner's arguments at the moment. I will write him to express support and appreciation.

Also noted: Feinstein brought up the Slide Fire stock. Has anyone ever heard of one being used in a crime? (Not that such details matter to the banners.)
I'd be willing to bet that ATF is feeding her info.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
fenster
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fenster »

Senator Klobuchar just said, in effect. I used to be a prosecutor and believe in evidence, but I'm going to relate a girl scout story to appeal to your emotions.

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ajwakeboarder »

why are they cutting it off during Cruz's time?
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

LaPierre: 1.9% of guns used in crimes trace back to gun shows, INCLUDING gun show sales made through licensed dealers, which DO already go though NICS.

Kelly: 80% of inmates that committed gun crimes acquired their gun via private sale

Kelly's conclusion?: He thinks that universal background checks would prevent criminals from getting guns from other criminals. :banghead:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JeffT72

Post by JeffT72 »

You want to elevate your blood pressure? Listen to the CSPAN coverage and also watch the twitter feed #GunControl . Jeez. And I actually need to get some work done. I should turn off the coverage.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RPB »

JeffT72 wrote:You want to elevate your blood pressure? Listen to the CSPAN coverage and also watch the twitter feed #GunControl . Jeez. And I actually need to get some work done. I should turn off the coverage.
Instead of watching #guncontrol, I been busy tweeting @SenateGOP @SenateDems and @Senate_GOPs
Texas Ranchers Using AK47s to Defend Against Cartel invaders http://standwitharizona.com/blog/2012/0 ... -invaders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @Senatedems @Senategop @Senate_gops

Senate GOP ‏@SenateGOP
to me:
@SenateDems @senate_gops Unless you live in a liberal state foolish enough to ban them, you're allowed to use a flamethrower.
@SenateGOP home made flamethrowers and home made shotguns " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … wouldn't be stopped by a law " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … $5.00 gun

@Senatedems @senategop @Senate_gops all mass shootings but 1 or 2 were in #gunFreeZones which attract criminals, eliminate those immediately
Expand

15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... t-Burglars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @Senatedems

15-Year Old Boy Uses AR-15 to Defend Himself, Sister Against Home Invaders http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... t-Burglars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @Seantedems @senategop @Senate_GOPs

Father of Sandy Hook victim speaks against gun control viewtopic.php?f=94&t=62355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … @Senatedems @senategop @senate_gops

Historically, lower cap mag shooters get higher body counts @senategop @senatedems @senate_gops
Expand

George Hennard @ Lubys & other shooters used short "regular-sized" magazines which no1 could grab @Senatedems @Senategop @senate_gops
Expand

I thank God that Jared in Tucson used one of those foot-long magazines making it harder to reload and making it easier to grab @SenateDems
Expand

2006, Joseph Guzman survived 19 gunshot wounds during 50-shot fusillade by police & U limit me to 10? @SenateDems @senate_gops @Senategop

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 708222.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Store owner needed 3 low capacity guns to fight 3 robbers-gets shot 4 times trying @senatedems @senategop @Senate_GOPs
Expand

@SenateDems @Senate_GOPs @senategop Houston, Texas Ramon Castillo shot 4 times while trying to grab 3 low capacity guns to fight 3 robbers
Expand

@senateDems I'll contest limiting mag capacity as against ADA as disabled/amputees at disadvantage to criminal @Senategop @senate_gops
Expand
52m Pat Johnson Pat Johnson ‏@_PatJohnson_

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 37790.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Man survives 21 gunshot wounds @senatedems @senategop @Senate_GOPs So, I need more to protect than that
Expand

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... -survivor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … 2008-Doctor Tells of a 19-Gunshot-Wound Survivor @senatedems @senate_gops @SenateGOP
View summary

Rapper 50 Cent shot nine times in 2000 and then released three albums-how many needed to stop criminal?@senatedems @senategop @Senate_GOPs
Expand

Angel Alvarez, hit 23 times in Harlem shootout with cops, held without bail on weapons charges (alive) @Senatedems @Senate_GOPs @SenateGOP
Expand

Babyface Nelson was shot 17 times before he killed the 2 agents that shot him, then he went home @Senatedems @Senate_GOPs @SenateGOP
Expand

@SenateDems In Tuvcson, lives were saved by the foot long easy to grab, instead of short hard to grab like Lubys @SenateGOP @Senate_GOPs
Expand

@SenateDems You forget New Orleans shootings after hurricanes and police shooting innocents? @SenateGOP @Senate_GOPs

commonality-why is Senate ignore most every mass shooting is in a "so-called" designated "#GunFreeZone" @SenateDems @Senate_GOPs @SenateGOP
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

JeffT72

Post by JeffT72 »

@ RPB Good call. That is definitely a better use of time and effort. The #Guncontrol tag is full of libs and crazy responses. It is good for a few laughs though.

EconDoc

Post by EconDoc »

RoyGBiv wrote:What's that police chief thinking? :banghead:
In order to keep their jobs, police chiefs have to be politicians first and cops a distant second. Remember that, as top-level management, they are not covered by civil service and thus serve at the pleasure of the (usually Democrat) politicians who hire and fire. They have to toe the line that the city council demands or else.

:patriot: :txflag:
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The whole "Slidefire"stock is meaningless. That one item had to get BATFE approval in the first place and they could easily just recind the letter approving it by itself.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

fenster wrote:when the police chief speaks, I find myself thankful I ate a light breakfast.
he is obviously a lost soul desk jockey
Really thought Mrs. Trotter was going to slap him, she asked if he owned a ar15 and something about a 10 round magazine and he said he was exempt from capacity limits. WOW do as I say not as I do
imo police or law enforcement need to have the appropriate defensive weapon to protect the public. But that does not warrant them to own weapons privately that normal citizens may not own. He has a duty pistol, and it should have as many rounds as possible, we have all seen how poor shots the leo's are.
Mrs. Trotter got him again with her accuracy statement in regards to protecting her family.
she told durbin he was a "large" man :biggrinjester: then recanted that he was tall.
there is a caller now, he is a sheriff lt. in shelby county and was upset that he had to sign a form to buy sudafed at wally world and he was in uniform....UH SOOOOO what, the law is the law.

why is nra so opposed to the back ground checks for all firearm sales?
yes face to face sales would be slowed or hindered by having to find a ffl to do a nics check......again so what
overall the hearing restricted the nra answers except when sen. cruz was speaking, wow he is good :anamatedbanana
poor old gabby was exploited again, her husband should be ashamed, I am embarrassed he was a navy man.

cspan is replaying the hearing again in about 15 minutes
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

powerboatr wrote:
fenster wrote:when the police chief speaks, I find myself thankful I ate a light breakfast.
he is obviously a lost soul desk jockey
Really thought Mrs. Trotter was going to slap him, she asked if he owned a ar15 and something about a 10 round magazine and he said he was exempt from capacity limits. WOW do as I say not as I do
imo police or law enforcement need to have the appropriate defensive weapon to protect the public. But that does not warrant them to own weapons privately that normal citizens may not own. He has a duty pistol, and it should have as many rounds as possible, we have all seen how poor shots the leo's are.
Mrs. Trotter got him again with her accuracy statement in regards to protecting her family.
she told durbin he was a "large" man :biggrinjester: then recanted that he was tall.
there is a caller now, he is a sheriff lt. in shelby county and was upset that he had to sign a form to buy sudafed at wally world and he was in uniform....UH SOOOOO what, the law is the law.

why is nra so opposed to the back ground checks for all firearm sales?
yes face to face sales would be slowed or hindered by having to find a ffl to do a nics check......again so what
overall the hearing restricted the nra answers except when sen. cruz was speaking, wow he is good :anamatedbanana
poor old gabby was exploited again, her husband should be ashamed, I am embarrassed he was a navy man.

cspan is replaying the hearing again in about 15 minutes
background checks wouldn't have stopped
Virginia Tech
Lubys
Columbine
Gabby Giffords
Aurora
Newtown-Sandy Hook
ummm didn't and wouldn't have stopped any shooting that I can think of ... so why pass useless laws that cost taxpayers?

CripsnBloods #1 buying stolen gun from CripsnBloods#2 needs to find an FFL to run a check before CripsnBloods#2 will sell the stolen gun to him?

NRA, and sensible people oppose passing FEEL GOOD DO NOTHING laws, instead of laws which actually protect.

Like after a robbery installing cameras instead of bulletproof glass for example, one makes people feel safer by allowing police to show who killed you later and hope they get caught, where the glass actually protects. It's about the efficient use of resources at hand versus more do nothing feel good laws to supplement the other 9,000 Federal gun laws already passed which also are not enforced..like the new ones won't be.

NRA appears to want to protect people, not make them feel warm and fuzzy at the expense of being safer..
I'm no lawyer

CainA

Post by CainA »

RPB wrote:
Virginia Tech
Lubys
Columbine
Gabby Giffords
Aurora
Newtown-Sandy Hook
ummm didn't and wouldn't have stopped any shooting that I can think of ... so why pass useless laws that cost taxpayers?

CripsnBloods #1 buying stolen gun from CripsnBloods#2 needs to find an FFL to run a check before CripsnBloods#2 will sell the stolen gun to him?

NRA, and sensible people oppose passing FEEL GOOD DO NOTHING laws, instead of laws which actually protect.

Like after a robbery installing cameras instead of bulletproof glass for example, one makes people feel safer by allowing police to show who killed you later and hope they get caught, where the glass actually protects. It's about the efficient use of resources at hand versus more do nothing feel good laws to supplement the other 9,000 Federal gun laws already passed which also are not enforced..like the new ones won't be.
Yep, what he said :iagree:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Virginia Tech
Lubys
Columbine
Gabby Giffords
Aurora
Newtown-Sandy Hook

NRA appears to want to protect people, not make them feel warm and fuzzy at the expense of being safer..[/quote]

i think you missed my point
i didnt say background checks would have stopped anything, i was asking why is the nra so opposed?
I buy a new firearm i get a nics check, easy peazy
bad guys/girls are going to get weapons by any means, we do have lots of dumb bad guys/gals , it might catch one or two.
and gun shows i have been to around here, the dealers do nics checks,
i merely feel imo, that if i need to get a nics check, then so should everyone else. or stop doing them altogether. :rules: its way to easy for me to go buy a firearm and never do a nics check and the poor guy that just sold it to me, has no idea of my background.
and leo are not exempt, retired or otherwise.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

So, if I want to give presents to my niece, my brother, my Uncle, my dad, my Sister and my Nephew, we need to go to an FFL and pay an extra $30.00 for each present before Christmas to get their background check so they can be surprised by their present? And that stops crime how?

It doesn't stop badguy from meeting houseburgler behind McDonalds to buy the stolen Davis .32 for $50.00 he'll use at the stopnrob later that day.

They want background checks for ammo too now ... that will cost what to consumers and taxpayers?>probably a lot more than it costs robberguy to buy a stolen box of ammo from houseburglar

why is the nra so opposed?

simply because it does nothing to help. Things proven to help are what Israel and Thailand did.
School teachers in Thailand's troubled southern provinces will be allowed to carry guns, the government has said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4651711.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.examiner.com/article/arming- ... d-thailand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

powerboatr wrote: i think you missed my point
i didnt say background checks would have stopped anything, i was asking why is the nra so opposed?
I buy a new firearm i get a nics check, easy peazy
bad guys/girls are going to get weapons by any means, we do have lots of dumb bad guys/gals , it might catch one or two.
and gun shows i have been to around here, the dealers do nics checks,
i merely feel imo, that if i need to get a nics check, then so should everyone else. or stop doing them altogether. :rules: its way to easy for me to go buy a firearm and never do a nics check and the poor guy that just sold it to me, has no idea of my background.
and leo are not exempt, retired or otherwise.
The problem is that Universal background checks are unenforceable without registration. The currently proposed laws do not require registration or any personal information to be reported to he ATF. Nice Right? Wrong!. See, they are written that way so people who lack critical thinking skills will support them (no offense meant to anyone). That way when they don't work (which they can't) the anti-gun people will be able to say "Hey background checks won't work without registration." That will be the next "common sense" step down the road. Registration leads to confiscation period. Universal background checks are just a stepping stone.

Next, a universal background check is kinda unconstitutional. A private individual is not supposed to sell a firearm to someone out of state. Therefore private sales of firearms constitute intrastate commerce, not interstate commerce. For this reason, the Commerce Clause does not apply, and thus the federal govt. should have no say in the matter. It is up to each individual state to regulate private sales.

Personally, if I sale a gun, I will do a transfer unless I know the person. I just want to cover my ass. It is a personal choice.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Return to “Federal”