H.Res. 55: Honoring the life of Trayvon Martin...

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 1

H.Res. 55: Honoring the life of Trayvon Martin...

Post by warhorse10_9 »

I don't want to include resolutions in my list of legislation, but I felt this deserved its own thread.

H.Res. 55: Honoring the life of Trayvon Martin, urging the repeal of Stand Your Ground laws, and calling on the United States Government to address the crisis of racial profiling.

Regardless of how you feel about the situation, I think that before the case is put forth and all the evidence has been produced it is too soon to honor anyone, not to mention the fact that stand your ground laws serve a reasonable purpose.

Take a position on H.Res 55!
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: H.Res. 55: Honoring the life of Trayvon Martin...

Post by anygunanywhere »

You can't make this stuff up.

This is the most ridiculous crap I have ever seen.

The sad part is, give it a day or two and something worse will appear.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

CainA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CainA »

warhorse10_9 wrote: Regardless of how you feel about the situation, I think that before the case is put forth and all the evidence has been produced it is too soon to honor anyone, not to mention the fact that stand your ground laws serve a reasonable purpose.

:iagree: yep.

Of course its sponsor is Florida's version of Sheila Jackson Lee.

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

Are we supposed to smoke pot, steal jewelry, and get kicked out of school to honor TMDay?

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

CainA wrote:
warhorse10_9 wrote: Regardless of how you feel about the situation, I think that before the case is put forth and all the evidence has been produced it is too soon to honor anyone, not to mention the fact that stand your ground laws serve a reasonable purpose.

:iagree: yep.

Of course its sponsor is Florida's version of Sheila Jackson Lee.
She's a cosponsor of the bill!! :mad5
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

recaffeination wrote:Are we supposed to smoke pot, steal jewelry, and get kicked out of school to honor TMDay?
Winner!

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
recaffeination wrote:Are we supposed to smoke pot, steal jewelry, and get kicked out of school to honor TMDay?
Winner!

Anygunanywhere
And would we still get arrested for doing the first two on TM Day?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

CainA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CainA »

Dave2 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Winner!

Anygunanywhere
And would we still get arrested for doing the first two on TM Day?
Maybe not the first item on the list depending on what state you're in.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

I couldnt continue reading this spew, but I have to ask, just how much more of this disgusting, dishonest, garbage are we Americans suppose to absorb?

This should be grounds for dismissal of charges against Zimmerman as he cant get a fair trial. :mad5 :mad5

Whereas Zimmerman, a self-appointed, untrained neighborhood watch volunteer, admitted to police that he shot Martin in the chest;

Whereas Trayvon Martin was racially profiled, stalked, chased, made to fight for his life, and ultimately murdered;

Whereas Zimmerman raised a `self-defense' claim and Martin, as the deceased victim, was unable to rebut such claim;

Whereas a police officer is held accountable for every bullet he or she discharges, and a private citizen should be held to the same standard with regard to the use of deadly physical force;

Whereas Trayvon Martin's brutal death and the inconceivable fact that his killer remains free should not be ignored;
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.RES.55:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Jim Beaux wrote:This should be grounds for dismissal of charges against Zimmerman as he cant get a fair trial. :mad5 :mad5
IANAL, but I think you might have a pretty good point there. Do any of our members who are lawyers have any thoughts on the matter?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Post by 77346 »

RX8er wrote: Of course its sponsor is Florida's version of Sheila Jackson Lee.

She's a cosponsor of the bill!! :mad5
Why am I not surprised? :roll:
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I've seen in-your-face and disgusting tactics used in politics, but this is right down there with the worst of them, in the gutter. That there are elected officials that can put out this sort of trash, and not merely live with themselves afterward, but who are actually proud of themselves for it, is a sign of how sorry the state of things is in this nation.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Where is the money to come from for this bill?

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

warhorse10_9 wrote:I don't want to include resolutions in my list of legislation, but I felt this deserved its own thread.

H.Res. 55: Honoring the life of Trayvon Martin, urging the repeal of Stand Your Ground laws, and calling on the United States Government to address the crisis of racial profiling.

Regardless of how you feel about the situation, I think that before the case is put forth and all the evidence has been produced it is too soon to honor anyone, not to mention the fact that stand your ground laws serve a reasonable purpose.

With this added comment:
"I oppose H.Res. 55 ("Honoring the life of Trayvon Martin, urging the repeal of Stand Your Ground laws, and") because...
I am a registered Democrat. While I never simply vote a party line, I do tend to find myself more in line with the Democratic stands than the Republican ones. But this last election, was one in which I found it very hard to cast a vote for the President and those in his party. This is due primarily to my 2nd Amendment concerns.
In the Trayvon Martin case I am highly skeptical he was the innocent victim this action would imply. On Feb. 1 in Detroit a 70-year-old coach shot a teen who looked about the same age as Trayvon. He has a very innocent face in his photos wearing a red garment that appears to have a hood. If not for the surveillance video showing the violence of his attack, it's possible/probable that he too would be portrayed as an innocent teen gunned down due to racial profiling."

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jim Beaux wrote:I couldnt continue reading this spew, but I have to ask, just how much more of this disgusting, dishonest, garbage are we Americans suppose to absorb?

This should be grounds for dismissal of charges against Zimmerman as he cant get a fair trial. :mad5 :mad5

Whereas Zimmerman, a self-appointed, untrained neighborhood watch volunteer, admitted to police that he shot Martin in the chest;

Whereas Trayvon Martin was racially profiled, stalked, chased, made to fight for his life, and ultimately murdered;

Whereas Zimmerman raised a `self-defense' claim and Martin, as the deceased victim, was unable to rebut such claim;

Whereas a police officer is held accountable for every bullet he or she discharges, and a private citizen should be held to the same standard with regard to the use of deadly physical force;

Whereas Trayvon Martin's brutal death and the inconceivable fact that his killer remains free should not be ignored;
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.RES.55:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Federal”