H.R. 578 National Reciprocity

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 1

H.R. 578 National Reciprocity

Post by warhorse10_9 »

I just wanted to set up a discussion thread for the National Reciprocity Bill. Check it out and let me know what you think. I am a little leery about letting the feds have any say in concealed carry laws.

H.R. 578 (Stutzman - IN) To allow reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms. Impact: If someone possesses a ccw permit or presides in a state where there is constitutional carry (and they are not a prohibited person in that state), hey can carry in any state that issues CCW permits or has constitutional carry; Must abide by each states laws pertaining to ccw; When in states with multiple licensing schemes, a person carrying in non-resident states will be able to carry under the unrestricted licensing type of those non-resident states.
Preliminary Personal Opinion: Cautious - Great to have national reciprocity, but I am very cautious about the feds sticking their noses in state issues like concealed carry.
Take a position on H.R. 578!
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

RottenApple

Re: H.R. 578 National Reciprocity

Post by RottenApple »

Could this not be used to open concealed carry permits to federal control (and probably an eventual ban) based on the often misused commerce clause? That's what has me concerned.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

TxLobo wrote:and Barbara Boxer's S.147 wants nation wide conceal carry with every person having a "reason" to carry a concealed handgun in her "Common Sense Concealed Firearms Permit Act of 2013" ... :banghead: :banghead:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s147/text" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :rules:
I'm willing to bet "carrying for self-defense / protection" will not be a good enough reason, if in fact, there will be a good enough reason at all.
CHL since 01/26/09

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

"reason" equals what we have in California, "good cause." That is left open to every CA Sheriff to decide what good cause is in his county. In some of the cow counties on the eastern part of the state, it is virtually "shall" issue." Those are the less populated areas in the mountains. In some counties, SF, LA, etc, it means no issue. In between, it might mean "issue to those participating in my re-election campaign." In some counties, it means, "Dianne Feinstein has to OK the funding of part of my budget so it means no issue."

In most counties, self defense is not good cause.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

They will get shot down due to no national standard for certification.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Would that fall under the commerce clause?

snorri

Post by snorri »

The best way to handle this is amend LEOSA. Then reciprocity for all the good guys is tied together, with no us versus them double standards for the antis to exploit.

Besides, that's what LEAA and others promised for our support ten years ago. We did our part. :totap:
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat:
The issue is state rights vs Federal control. The Federal Government would love to control all issues. My current Texas CHL cover all of the states that I would like to visit.
The Federal Government should not mandate to the United State of America.
:patriot:
Last edited by old farmer on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bliss America.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

As much as I would love to have it easier to carry across borders, I am much more of a "states" guy. I think this is a state issue and should be left up to the state. Plus, I think just about everything the Federal government does, they mess it up. Next will be national drivers license.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Return to “Federal”