Holder takes on Texas Voter Laws

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Holder takes on Texas Voter Laws

Post by AEA »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07 ... rotection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday the Justice Department will ask a San Antonio-based federal court to force Texas to get permission from the federal government before it can make any additional changes to its voting and election laws.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Holder takes on Texas Voter Laws

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Hopefully Atty. General Abbott will tell this glorified race hustler/election fraudster to pound sand.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

AEA wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07 ... rotection/
Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday the Justice Department will ask a San Antonio-based federal court to force Texas to get permission from the federal government before it can make any additional changes to its voting and election laws.
Didn't the SCOTUS just rule that we don't have to do that anymore, or am I misremembering?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Dave2 wrote:Didn't the SCOTUS just rule that we don't have to do that anymore, or am I misremembering?
Following the decision, Holder had publicly pledged to aggressively use his department’s power to block or halt any new state laws it views as discriminatory. He took his first step in that direction on Thursday.

Holder, during a speech to the Urban League in Philadelphia, said that based on evidence of racial discrimination presented last year in a redistricting case in Texas, "we believe that the state of Texas should be required to go through a preclearance process whenever it changes its voting laws and practices."

In Texas, there is a history of "pervasive voting-related discrimination against racial minorities," Holder added.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07 ... z2a4nvRJLp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

The very instant the decision was rendered, holder and his underlings started to search for ways to get around it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

The laws, Constitution, separation of powers and court rulings mean nothing to the President and his band of thugs. They think they have no boundaries.

Congress and We the People must take the necessary steps to reign these thugs in ASAP.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Hopefully Atty. General Abbott will tell this glorified race hustler/election fraudster to pound sand.
he can tell all he wants. If the SA court agrees with Holder its moot.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Holder needs to get permission from the public before he is allowed to breathe
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

The risk they are running is that if it goes to the Supreme Court again the court will probably pimp-slap Mr. Holder and his minions.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:Hopefully Atty. General Abbott will tell this glorified race hustler/election fraudster to pound sand.
The SCOTUS does NOT agree with Holder. Holder is trying to subvert the court.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

So wait...Holder can't demand that Texas do what he wants, so he's got to ask a state court to Tell Texas they have to?...sounds legit...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
The SCOTUS does NOT agree with Holder. Holder is trying to subvert the court.
No.
SCOTUS said the DOJ had to show suffiicent proof that its claims are accurate in individual jurisdictions. The standard SCOTUS set is significantly higher.

I give it even money the DOJ wins, based on the gerrymandered districts. yes the Democrats did it too blah blah, there are still gerrymandered districts regardless. We have to see if that is sufficient.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

This involves more than just gerrymandered districts. The states are in control of holding elections. Holder is just trying to exert control over something he had no control over.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

mojo84 wrote:This involves more than just gerrymandered districts. The states are in control of holding elections. Holder is just trying to exert control over something he had no control over.
I am not disagreeing. But he can use the gerrymandered districts as a way to do that.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Since the IRS attacks and denials for conservative entities to sway the vote has been outed they are trying a more direct attack. Texas will be the Ohio and Florida of future votes. They will do anything to make sure it's in their corner. Both Holder and Obama have no problem attacking the SCOTUS. Happens easily when you're the king and court minion.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Federal”