John Boehner calling for gun control

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PBR
Posts in topic: 2

John Boehner calling for gun control

Post by PBR »

http://news.yahoo.com/why-does-john-boe ... 29143.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reacting to the shooting at Fort Hood on Wednesday, House Speaker John Boehner reiterated a popular NRA talking point: "There’s no question that those with mental health issues should be prevented from owning weapons or being able to purchase weapons." Those suffering the same diagnosed illnesses as the shooter — depression and anxiety — might be surprised by Boehner's willingness to take away their Second Amendment rights.
Related Stories
Well what is your thoughts on this and if he is truly gonna back something like this do you think it could happen. My main issue (being diagnosed with depression and anxiety issues myself) who will have the last word on if your case is mild or severe? I truly do believe some should not have access to buying weapons but at same time plenty of people with depression / anxiety issues should have the right cause the number of crazies who do this is sort of stuff isn't high enough to take away from everyone who has been diagnosed with depression / anxiety. It's almost like saying well if you ever drink alcohol or beer we are taking your car, cause you might just drive drunk one day. So sad to see what is happening and how the blaming gets thrown around
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: John Boehner calling for gun control

Post by Jumping Frog »

The voters in his district need to help him appreciate the joys of retirement. Let him work full time on that RIDICULOUS tan.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

Jumping Frog wrote:Let him work full time on that RIDICULOUS tan.
I too have a hard time taking Chester Cheetah seriously.

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

My post will not be a popular one but I agree with the Congressman. The key point from me is to make sure there is a solid legal definition of what constitutes mental illness and when it ceases. I believe a determination of lack of mental competency in one or more areas by a state court would be a good starting point for the discussion.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

He needs to go.

The mental health term is way too broad and can be used against just about anyone. Depressed because the lost of a love one, work got you rattled, have anxiety over an up coming bid - office project - term paper - bar exam all of these could be used against you.

The are issues that need to be looked into but it must be done with reason.

rotor

Post by rotor »

PBR wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/why-does-john-boe ... 29143.html
Reacting to the shooting at Fort Hood on Wednesday, House Speaker John Boehner reiterated a popular NRA talking point: "There’s no question that those with mental health issues should be prevented from owning weapons or being able to purchase weapons." Those suffering the same diagnosed illnesses as the shooter — depression and anxiety — might be surprised by Boehner's willingness to take away their Second Amendment rights.
Related Stories
Well what is your thoughts on this and if he is truly gonna back something like this do you think it could happen. My main issue (being diagnosed with depression and anxiety issues myself) who will have the last word on if your case is mild or severe? I truly do believe some should not have access to buying weapons but at same time plenty of people with depression / anxiety issues should have the right cause the number of crazies who do this is sort of stuff isn't high enough to take away from everyone who has been diagnosed with depression / anxiety. It's almost like saying well if you ever drink alcohol or beer we are taking your car, cause you might just drive drunk one day. So sad to see what is happening and how the blaming gets thrown around
Your question is valid, who will have the final say on what level of mental illness should keep one from owning a gun? Retrospectively we can say that the kid in Connecticut should not have been able to be near a gun. These are retrospective issues. I believe the context that Boehner is using is that rather than restricting guns we need to work on keeping guns out of the hands of nuts. How to do this is next to impossible.

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

Mental illness was used as a tool to take away rights in the "Original Soviet Union"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... viet_Union
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

RKirkwood wrote:He needs to go.
The mental health term is way too broad and can be used against just about anyone. Depressed because the lost of a love one, work got you rattled, have anxiety over an up coming bid - office project - term paper - bar exam all of these could be used against you.
The are issues that need to be looked into but it must be done with reason.

I don't think he needs to go on this issue alone. Your concerns are absolutely valid and I share them. Most of the US population will experience depression at some time in their life. However, if we continue to do noting due to the "slippery slope" theory public sentiment is going to run against us and laws will be enacted due to majority support that very bad. Better to be part of a moderate and reasonable solution that we have some say in than refuse to negotiate here and get slammed later. No one on this forum supports allowing people to have weapons that have diagnosis of PTSD and depression from medical professionals.. However, most of us are worried that "mental health" clauses could be used to shut down firearm ownership.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

PBR wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/why-does-john-boe ... 29143.html

Well what is your thoughts on this and if he is truly gonna back something like this do you think it could happen. My main issue (being diagnosed with depression and anxiety issues myself) who will have the last word on if your case is mild or severe?
First, I think it needs to be determined if any mental issues were the root cause of this incident. I read a news report that said there may have been some sort of altercation before this happened.
NRA lifetime member

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

I dunno how you make that determination. Even if there was some sort of altercation, do people of sound mind start shooting?
Besides.. This is a huge anti opportunity. He was diagnosed with PTSD and depression (per Media) and went out and bought a gun. Lots of people are going to connect those dots, even if they're not related.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

cb1000rider wrote:I dunno how you make that determination. Even if there was some sort of altercation, do people of sound mind start shooting?
Besides.. This is a huge anti opportunity. He was diagnosed with PTSD and depression (per Media) and went out and bought a gun. Lots of people are going to connect those dots, even if they're not related.
Per General Miley, he was trying to get diagnosed for PTSD and was depressed. He was in Afganistan in 2011 but not in combat.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

I am outraged that hardly any mention is being made of the drug cocktail these shooters are taking.

The commonality among these crazed shooters is they were under the influence of mind altering drugs such as SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). There are many citations of bizarre behavior among those taking these meds such as ambien.

Years ago I suddenly had a problem sleeping. My GP simply gave me a script for Ambien. Wow! Never since I was a child with a clear conscience did I sleep that sound. It scared me and I felt that anything that good should be used very carefully, and after a few days quit taking it.

I did a lot of research and accidentally tripped upon my problem.....I had replace my bed side reading lamp bulb with one of the new bulbs that put out a different light. Exposure to this light before bed time depleted my natural sleep hormone, melatonin! I changed back to an incandescent bulb and presto!

What is sobering is that ambien is very addictive and it was made so casually available by a doctor who I regard as being fairly responsible. Obviously these drugs are over prescribed; and instead of focusing on gun control, consideration should be on controlling these drugs.
The review [FDA] was prompted, in part, by queries to the agency from The New York Times last year, after some users of the most widely prescribed drug, Ambien, started complaining online and to their doctors about unusual reactions ranging from fairly benign sleepwalking episodes to hallucinations, violent outbursts, nocturnal binge eating and — most troubling of all — driving while asleep.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/15/busin ... d=all&_r=0
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
PBR

Post by PBR »

I do feel the "Mental Health" could be used against many as being too broad. As for myself 8 yrs ago I was in a pretty bad wreck, spent close to a year in the hospital recovering and learning to walk again (broke my neck, back, left rib cage and lost a lung, was in coma for a month). Well since then have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, well I feel of course some or most that had their life totally wrecked or changed in the flash of an eye like that, losing everything and unable to work living on disability will have some depression / anxiety but not to the effect of feeling like going out and killing people. Just have the feeling that with Boehner, someone whom has been against Obama and being a Rep. himself and also NRA being somewhat behind it, calling for this or even having the thoughts could lead to something. I admit I have always had guns but rarely carried them but now days I don't leave the house without one mainly due to being older and being an easy target cause with what happened I am not able to defend myself against attackers like before the wreck. As someone else posted here I do believe there should be something in place but at same time it needs to be specific not broad which is what I think they will go for as usual.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Return to “Federal”