Surgeon General Nominee Wants Drs to say who can carry guns

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Surgeon General Nominee Wants Drs to say who can carry g

Post by anygunanywhere »

Anyone that thinks allowing the government to dictate that any one including doctors sign off on a concealed carry permit to allow an individual to exercise their 2A rights granted by God is not a true supporter of our rights.

Remember, a permit is a government permission slip to exercise a right.

If we were truly free we would not need permits.

Doctors approving permits is just another way to enact total tyranny.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

TAM hit the nail/liberal on the head.

Being a pilot is not a right. The RKBA is.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

cb1000rider wrote:You guys are going to hate this, but I'm not so sure I'm against having doctors trained to evaluate stuff like this. The alternative is to continue to hand out permits based on (largely) self-assessment or self-justified assessment.
The problem I see with this logic is that it buys into the concept of people need government permission to do anything. We should not be needing a doctor's sign off to exercise our rights, and we should not need a permit from the government either. I recognize the current state of the laws as enforcing the requirements for permits, but we can fight against further encroachment.

One argument against this requirement is to point out that gun control does not work and does not stop crime. Yes, we have a problem with excessive violence in the US, in my opinion. And, believe it or not, I do not want crazy people to get their hands on guns. But the only way to protect my access to guns is to protect the rights of the mentally unstable until they prove they are more of a danger to others than anyone else is.

One of the problems I see with doctors saying someone is or is not safe for guns is that it is a judgment call. One of the theories on what causes people to commit crimes is called strain theory. This says that people when placed under strain in attaining society's goals will respond with criminal acts. The biggest flaw with this theory is that no two people respond to the same strain in the same way. Yes, some may commit crimes but others won't. A person may meet all of the doctors criteria for being dangerous and may not do anything because he can handle the strain. A second person may not yet meet the doctors criteria but may freak out with less strain and go be a mass shooter. Until psychology and criminology become much more exact sciences, I cannot support allowing a doctor to make this judgment call, no matter what training he has.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

srothstein wrote:Until psychology and criminology become much more exact sciences, I cannot support allowing a doctor to make this judgment call, no matter what training he has.
Exactly one of the points I made in my previous post.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

A long time ago, in a faraway land, I was a married engineering student living in the new married students' apartments at UT, Knoxville. Of the 16 apartments in this section, there were three (3) psychology majors and their wives. Two (2) were certifiable 'looney tunes'!

Just sayin'..... :roll:

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Oldgringo wrote:A long time ago, in a faraway land, I was a married engineering student living in the new married students' apartments at UT, Knoxville. Of the 16 apartments in this section, there were three (3) psychology majors and their wives. Two (2) were certifiable 'looney tunes'!

I never forget that half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

Ive interacted socially with a few doctors. In general these guys are a respectable & fun group. I also found that many lacked common sense, were surprisingly lacking in current events, and in my opinion, it seemed that a disproportionate number had unstable private lives. ie legal issues, troubled marriages, unruly kids, drugs, alcohol & illicit sex problems.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The wife of family that is friends with my California family is a psychologist. Their son murdered his girlfriend with a knife, and then ran from rooftop to rooftop, totally naked and drenched in her blood. He's still in a padded room. But we've also known psychologists with perfectly normal families. My point isn't that psychology, or even psychiatry (which is actually a hard science) can't be useful. My point is that their practitioners are as often messed up and weird as in any other profession. Actually BEING a psychiatrist is no more a guarantee against messed-up thinking than being an internist is a guarantee of not getting cancer. Doctors, even good doctors, die of cancer every day. I know two of them myself....much to my regret. Why should psychiatrists be exempt?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Jim Beaux wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:A long time ago, in a faraway land, I was a married engineering student living in the new married students' apartments at UT, Knoxville. Of the 16 apartments in this section, there were three (3) psychology majors and their wives. Two (2) were certifiable 'looney tunes'!

I never forget that half of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

Ive interacted socially with a few doctors. In general these guys are a respectable & fun group. I also found that many lacked common sense, were surprisingly lacking in current events, and in my opinion, it seemed that a disproportionate number had unstable private lives. ie legal issues, troubled marriages, unruly kids, drugs, alcohol & illicit sex problems.
Sounds like some professors I have known.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

Jim Beaux wrote:

I knew one who was a pedophile, and a school physician. And our neighbor for many years, a pediatrician, used to give his kids bottles of KoolAid to pacify them.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “Federal”