Resistance to Immigration Bill Fading, according to backers

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AV8R

Resistance to Immigration Bill Fading, according to backers

Post by AV8R »

Let's write a few letters to Sens. Cornyn and Hutchinson and let them know the degree to which our opposition to the "Amnesty Bill" has faded. This bill may pass this week. I'm on record with my opposition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... ews&sub=AR

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

I have also registered my opposition, but if it's passed I intend to try to get myself declared an illegal alien, just for the tax and driver's license benefits.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

stroo

Post by stroo »

Is the status quo better than the bill? In my judgement, the status quo is about the worst. We aren't going to get another bill soon so the real choice is between a flawed bill and an even worse status quo. I'll take the bill.

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

form letter suggestion to send Senator Hutchison :razz:

SENATOR KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON
284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510-4304

Dear Senator Hutchinson ,
As an American citizen and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal alien stems from the bill which is under consideration by the Senate. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $5,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $5,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for my family and I because we paid heavy taxes in 2005 and 2006.
Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year.
Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I will soon have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you for your assistance

Your Loyal Constituent,

All kidding aside, this bill is garbage thru and thru. We do not need another bureaucratic mess in D.C., what we need is to secure our borders and enforce our current immigration laws. If the govt cannot track who is using false social security numbers now then how is the govt going to track the 12+ million illegal aliens that are already here, force them to pay their fine, and then leave the country prior to gaining legal status - anyone who believes this will actually happen is living in la la land.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

stroo wrote:Is the status quo better than the bill? In my judgement, the status quo is about the worst. We aren't going to get another bill soon so the real choice is between a flawed bill and an even worse status quo. I'll take the bill.
The "status quo" has failed us because our government, both state and federal, refuse to enforce current law.

A very large part of this immigration bill is a re-stating of current law. If we are not enforcing current law now, what makes you think we will enforce the new law?

No bill is better than this bill.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

ShootingStar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShootingStar »

Stroo,

The reason that we have this problem is because in the 1980's, illegals were given Amnesty. Did it solve the problem? Nope! Just created another one later. Who was it who once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting different results"?

We have got to stop this bill, AND secure the border AND prosecute the businesses who hire illegals. I've been down to El Paso and Loredo and it's turning into Mexico down there. Don't get me wrong, I have friends in Mexico that I love, but it's corrupt for a reason and will stay that way until the people of Mexico decide to fight for their freedom. There is a reason why the penalties for entering Mexico with one round of ammuniton, or a gun are so harsh.

Anyhoo, sorry I ramble. We cannot afford the drain on the social services from the 12 to 20 million illegals and that's assuming they all pay taxes, which we know some don't. The amount they pay in taxes doesn't even come close to what they use.

Also what happens when the economy slows down and they are out of work? They have two choices, go home where the economy is worse than the US or turn to crime.

For too long we have settled for what little we could get from our elected officials. Today, let's settle for nothing but what is right. I believe that if we convince the current Republicans that we'll vote them out, even if the democraps get in, then they'll stop some of this nonsense.

Remember the primaries as that's where your choices lie. It is there where you decide WHO runs for office.

-SS
A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. A Republic is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision. - Benjamin Franklin

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I'm curious what any of this has to do with concealed carry, or with Texas and firearms.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

KBCraig wrote:I'm curious what any of this has to do with concealed carry, or with Texas and firearms.

I'm even curious-er. :???:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

flintknapper wrote:
KBCraig wrote:I'm curious what any of this has to do with concealed carry, or with Texas and firearms.

Future supply of targets.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

AV8R wrote:
flintknapper wrote:

Future supply of targets.
Uh Oh...el boogie hombre is gonna git ewe...
;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

tomneal

tie in

Post by tomneal »

Tie in to CHL

Many of the Minute Men on the Texas Boarder hold Texas CHL's.

Just like we said the last 1000 times or so, when 'they' tried to pass new anti-gun laws. If they enforced the laws that are on the books right now, there wouldn't be a problem.

The folks in Washington don't enforce the laws they pass and
then come back and try to pass new laws to solve the same problems the old laws were trying to solve.

This imigration bill doesn't look like it is going to solve the immigration issues.

It does look like there may be a tie in to the National Id movement.
The new immigration bill is going to require a National Id to start a job.

If one had studied Revelations too much, you might see the beginnings of the predictions.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

ShootingStar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ShootingStar »

Here's anothe tie-in to CHL,

How about more criminals coming across the border, then running back to Mexico. Criminal gangs like MS-13 coming across the border. People living on the border, a Border Patrol agent in this case, told me about a group who would come across and burglarize houses and take the loot back across the border before LEOs could respond. If you live anywhere near the border crime is bad.

AND as far as I'm concerned, that HPD officer that was murdered by an illegal I take very personal.

There have been others killed by illegals driving drunk as well. Living in Houston, just about everyone I know has been at least hit by an illegal with no DL and No insurance.

Sure, most coming across the border just want to work, but a certain percentage of those will commit crimes and preventing them from victimizing a CHL holder is best done by keeping them out of the country to start with. As an instructor, I teach prevention First. Then if you can't avoid it, then you may have to use deadly force.

I prefer to work to keep the illegals out to start with, rather than have to use deadly force on the ones who decide to turn to crime.

This issue has many facets that affect society and our personal security is but one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Legal immigration.

--SS
A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. A Republic is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision. - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Federal”