Cornyn Introduces Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cornyn Introduces Constitutional Concealed Carry Recipro

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:OK, he's touting this as a way use your TX CHL to drive from TX to, oh, WA (for lack of a better idea). Now, he's making it sound like you get to follow TX law all the way up, "because that's what you do when you drive" (before you ask, no I can't find the article from a few days ago)
......BUT YOU DON'T....
you DON'T get to do that when you drive. You have to follow local law when you drive. If you hit CA and you don't know if you are allowed to take a U turn with or without a sign, you are going to be in trouble and probably get a ticket.

that is my first problem with it.
secondly, I honestly don't think that once the door is cracked open to the Feds it won't be slammed open like my teenaged son slamming through it. Any time the Feds get involved with something rights get lost, taxes get raised, stuff gets more confusing.

Nope, this is not good.
1. I haven't seen anywhere that he is suggesting you wouldn't have to follow local laws. If that has been stated please provide a link
2. The door was removed from its hinges a long time ago.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

FYI... Here's the text as it was read into the CR.
Interestingly, as I read it....
-- If I'm carrying an STI or other firearm made in Texas, I would not be covered by this act. and
-- Residents of "Constitutional Carry" States would not need a permit to carry in other States.
Government. LOL

S. 498
https://www.congress.gov/congressional- ... cle/S985-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ``Constitutional Concealed
Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015''.

SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED
FIREARMS.

(a) In General.--Chapter 44 of title 18, United States
Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the
following:

``Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain
concealed firearms

``(a) In General.--Notwithstanding any provision of the law
of any State or political subdivision thereof to the
contrary--
``(1) an individual who is not prohibited by Federal law
from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a
firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic
identification document and a valid license or permit which
is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits
the individual to carry a concealed firearm, may possess or
carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or
destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in
interstate or foreign commerce in any State other than the
State of residence of the individual that--
``(A) has a statute that allows residents of the State to
obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or
``(B) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms
by residents of the State for lawful purposes; and
``(2) an individual who is not prohibited by Federal law
from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a
firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic
identification document and is entitled and not prohibited
from carrying a concealed firearm in the State in which the
individual resides otherwise than as described in paragraph
(1), may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a
machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or
transported in interstate or foreign commerce in any State
other than the State of residence of the individual that--
``(A) has a statute that allows residents of the State to
obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or
``(B) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms
by residents of the State for lawful purposes.
``(b) Conditions and Limitations.--The possession or
carrying of a concealed handgun in a State under this section
shall be subject to the same conditions and limitations,
except as to eligibility to possess or carry, imposed by or
under Federal or State law or the law of a political
subdivision of a State, that apply to the possession or
carrying of a concealed handgun by residents of the State or
political subdivision who are licensed by the State or
political subdivision to do so, or not prohibited by the
State from doing so.
``(c) Unrestricted License or Permit.--In a State that
allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry
concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of
firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits,
an individual carrying a concealed handgun under this section
shall be permitted to carry a concealed handgun according to
the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license of or
permit issued to a resident of the State.
``(d) Rule of Construction.--Nothing in this section shall
be construed to preempt any provision of State law with
respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry
concealed firearms.''.
(b) Clerical Amendment.--The table of sections for chapter
44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting
after the item relating to section 926C the following:

``926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.''.

(c) Severability.--Notwithstanding any other provision of
this Act, if any provision of this Act, or any amendment made
by this Act, or the application of such provision or
amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be
unconstitutional, this Act and amendments made by this Act
and the application of such provision or amendment to other
persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.
(d) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this Act shall
take effect 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Does the term "shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce" include private vehicles?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Does this mean that you can carry through a school zone?
"``(c) Unrestricted License or Permit.--In a State that
allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry
concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of
firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits,
an individual carrying a concealed handgun under this section
shall be permitted to carry a concealed handgun according to
the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license of or
permit issued to a resident of the State."

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

My only worry is that once you put a law in place allowing the Feds into concealed carry, then its a short amendment from having the Feds dictating what the requirements are for concealed carry. And, of course, the instant the Democrat Party controls both House and Senate again, they will make it from "shall issue" to "may issue" by dint of proving some "need" for the CHL, some kind of extremely onerous "qualifications" that a large majority of SWAT teams couldn't pass, and some kind of a "background check" that makes our rather thorough background check look like nothing. I think that Senator Cornyn's heart is in the right place on this, and he means well, but I don't like the Feds being involved in anything like this. They ALWAYS end up taking it too far.

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
chuck j wrote:
SewTexas wrote:OK, he's touting this as a way use your TX CHL to drive from TX to, oh, WA (for lack of a better idea). Now, he's making it sound like you get to follow TX law all the way up, "because that's what you do when you drive" (before you ask, no I can't find the article from a few days ago)
......BUT YOU DON'T....
you DON'T get to do that when you drive. You have to follow local law when you drive. If you hit CA and you don't know if you are allowed to take a U turn with or without a sign, you are going to be in trouble and probably get a ticket.

that is my first problem with it.
secondly, I honestly don't think that once the door is cracked open to the Feds it won't be slammed open like my teenaged son slamming through it. Any time the Feds get involved with something rights get lost, taxes get raised, stuff gets more confusing.

Nope, this is not good.
On the surface this looks like a great idea but I agree with SewTexas , if the Feds are involved it will come back to bite you in your buttocks . Just mentioning that the Federal government is involved in or instigating in your life should send up flags . They have screwed up everything they touch ...........AND......It's going to end up costing you , that part comes at the end of all the wrangling . Keep em out !
The feds are already involved both in gun issues and other matters under the "full faith and credit" provision in the U.S. Constitution. That's why a contract you sign with the resident of another state is enforceable. It's why marriages are recognized in all states (don't start the same-sex marriage stuff). The feds aren't going to dictate requirements for CHL, not now or in the future.

This bill is more akin to striking down the old poll tax to ensure everyone gets to vote. It's an expansion of protections under the Second Amendment.

Chas.

Sorry it took me so long to get back Charles , I still work six days a week . I assume you were speaking to SewTexas and myself . In truth it is more than difficult for me to put my faith in the Federal government at this time . I have retreated to trying to believe in my state , Texans as a whole have always been a moral , fair minded , conservative people with a firm belief in our creator . Heck ! We have our own language lol . My family has lived here since 1851 , my dad was born in a dugout in 1901 . I worked in the oilfield and lived in several states but knew I would move back to Texas each time . Texas is my home , my grave plot is bought and my headstone is laying out back by the shed , all it needs etched on it is the day I died and provision has been made for that . I love to hear old Texans talk , I can listen to them for hours , it's a hoot to watch young folks try to figure out what they are saying . Some consider these folks ignorant but they are the one's that got us here . This is my country .

To the point , our central government seems to have problems , in respect to placing my trust in them that run the 'show' . I am firmly convinced that your heart and intentions are good but it's easy to be deceived by those close to you that seem to 'know' what is best . This may anger you but that is not my intention , you are my brother in Christ , you are my friend until other wise proven , you sir are a Texan . You are a leader on this forum , Texans look up to you for your guidance and honesty . Before this is over we may have to depend on each other . Do you recommend the support you proposed ? Second thoughts are not weakness but a stregnth . Chuck J

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

K.Mooneyham wrote:My only worry is that once you put a law in place allowing the Feds into concealed carry, then its a short amendment from having the Feds dictating what the requirements are for concealed carry. And, of course, the instant the Democrat Party controls both House and Senate again, they will make it from "shall issue" to "may issue" by dint of proving some "need" for the CHL, some kind of extremely onerous "qualifications" that a large majority of SWAT teams couldn't pass, and some kind of a "background check" that makes our rather thorough background check look like nothing. I think that Senator Cornyn's heart is in the right place on this, and he means well, but I don't like the Feds being involved in anything like this. They ALWAYS end up taking it too far.

^^ this ^^
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

juno106

Post by juno106 »

(1) Is there a specific federal law which requires states to give full faith and credit to the drivers licenses of other states?

(2) If not, then why do we need a specific federal law for concealed carry reciprocity?

(3) Do people remember the Firearm Owners Protection Act (of 1986)?

(4) That "was" initially a good idea, "until..."

(5) Can you say "Hughes Amendment"?
As debate for FOPA was in its final stages in the House before moving on to the Senate, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed several amendments including House Amendment 777 to H.R. 4332, which modified the act to ban the civilian ownership of new machine guns,
(6) The NRA apparently was ok with this last moment "sellout"of gun owners rights in 1986.Yes, I know, it was for the "greater good"...

(7) What last moment "sellout" is going to be ok in 2015 to obtain concealed carry reciprocity?

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

juno106 wrote:(1) Is there a specific federal law which requires states to give full faith and credit to the drivers licenses of other states?

(2) If not, then why do we need a specific federal law for concealed carry reciprocity?

(3) Do people remember the Firearm Owners Protection Act (of 1986)?

(4) That "was" initially a good idea, "until..."

(5) Can you say "Hughes Amendment"?
As debate for FOPA was in its final stages in the House before moving on to the Senate, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed several amendments including House Amendment 777 to H.R. 4332, which modified the act to ban the civilian ownership of new machine guns,
(6) The NRA apparently was ok with this last moment "sellout"of gun owners rights in 1986.Yes, I know, it was for the "greater good"...

(7) What last moment "sellout" is going to be ok in 2015 to obtain concealed carry reciprocity?
Sorry, but people slagging the FOPA of 1986 always gets me fired up. That was a very good bill that took a LOT of hard work over a long period of time to push through. Hughes, a very lib Democrat, put in his amendment at the last minute in an attempt to keep President Reagan from signing it. President Reagan realized that, knew that the full auto amendment affected way fewer people negatively than the rest of the bill did positively, and wisely signed it anyway. That part of the law should have been gotten rid of later on when the Republicans controlled everything, but they never bothered because there wasn't enough outcry for it to throw away political capital on it, if I had to guess. The entire history of the FOPA of 1986 can be found on the NRA website via a search online.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Everything that people worry about could be done by a hostile Congress later if Cornyn's bill passes now could be done by a hostile Congress anyway, without Cornyn's bill or any other 2A legislation. The antis would ban guns if they could, and try to ban them piecemeal if possible, e.g. "assault weapons ban" etc.

National reciprocity will not make it any easier for them. What makes it easy for them to is to get elected in the first place.

This is non-argument.
Last edited by ELB on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964

Post by philip964 »

george wrote:I am all for a law to make my CWP recognized by other states.

And I don't care if Satan introduces it.
I am a Christian and believe in forgiveness and redemption.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-boehne ... -congress/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Boehner invites Netanyahu to address Congress.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015021 ... -us-senate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; NRA backs Cornyn bill.

I also believe a broken clock can tell the correct time twice a day.

I'd love to see Obama faced with hundreds of bills that he feels he must veto. So guys show me your not broken clocks, but that you have been born again.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

RoyGBiv wrote:FYI... Here's the text as it was read into the CR.
Interestingly, as I read it....
-- If I'm carrying an STI or other firearm made in Texas, I would not be covered by this act. and
If a Texan takes a firearm made in Texas to another state, then that firearm has been shipped or transported in interstate commerce.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

http://patriotpost.us/articles/33216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
good read about the attack on his proposal
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

If a Texan takes a firearm made in Texas to another state, then that firearm has been shipped or transported in interstate commerce.
I think you just jumped to a conclusion that is way too broad. Suppose I live in Dallas and I go to Oklahoma City to visit my brother. Since my truck has an extra large gas tank, I can make it there and back without stopping for gas. My only stop is at my brother's house. I happen to be carrying my STI 1911 made in Georgetown with me when I go. How has my Texas made pistol been in interstate commerce when no commerce occurred on the trip?
Steve Rothstein

rogersinsel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rogersinsel »

As it is, there is no need for this bill.

Return to “Federal”