TVGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: BATFE To Ban Common AR-15 Ammo

Post by TVGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
rentz wrote:
TVGuy wrote:Colion Noir on possible BAFTE ban of XM855:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-Pu8n_BHg

I enjoy his videos but that one is killing my eyes going in and out of focus.

I have 855 ammo, but i ended up switching to 193 due to some places not allowing the 855/green tip ammo. But as the video says its going to drive the price up on ALL ammo.
It will temporarily drive the price up on other 5.56 FMJ, if for no other reason than the law of supply and demand. All the M855 buyers are now M193 buyers, and that means an increase in demand for M193, without there having been a pre-scheduled increase in production to offset the demand.

As soon as I got this news, I went into "hoarding" mode. I probably have something like 2,000 M855/SS109 on hand, not counting any of the other variants I have for this caliber. It goes without saying that I won't be shooting any of it until I know that it is replaceable. I also have a couple thousand M193 on hand, and as long as that is replaceable, I'll buy it at the higher price and shoot it, and keep my current inventory intact. But I also buy and have on hand a fair amount of 55 grain soft point (a better choice for SD in my opinion) as well as 68/69/75/77 grain HPBT match.

Agreed - I have 3 large ammo boxes full of M855, but I never shoot it. In the DFW area there really aren't any ranges you can use it. I've always been surprised by how much is in stores considering this fact. The lead core stuff is the same price everywhere I've been.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

TVGuy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
rentz wrote:

I have 855 ammo, but i ended up switching to 193 due to some places not allowing the 855/green tip ammo. But as the video says its going to drive the price up on ALL ammo.
It will temporarily drive the price up on other 5.56 FMJ, if for no other reason than the law of supply and demand. All the M855 buyers are now M193 buyers, and that means an increase in demand for M193, without there having been a pre-scheduled increase in production to offset the demand.

As soon as I got this news, I went into "hoarding" mode. I probably have something like 2,000 M855/SS109 on hand, not counting any of the other variants I have for this caliber. It goes without saying that I won't be shooting any of it until I know that it is replaceable. I also have a couple thousand M193 on hand, and as long as that is replaceable, I'll buy it at the higher price and shoot it, and keep my current inventory intact. But I also buy and have on hand a fair amount of 55 grain soft point (a better choice for SD in my opinion) as well as 68/69/75/77 grain HPBT match.

Agreed - I have 3 large ammo boxes full of M855, but I never shoot it. In the DFW area there really aren't any ranges you can use it. I've always been surprised by how much is in stores considering this fact. The lead core stuff is the same price everywhere I've been.
I've got a good stockpile of it put away. It's for "end of days" use.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
rentz wrote:

by the time i saw the news m855 was wiped out everywhere, so im just sitting on the couple thousand round stash of 5.56/223 i have of various types for a while.
If i see some m193 at regular price or on sale I might go ahead and snag it in preparation. Glad I bought a bunch of Hornandy TAP before the last ammo crisis.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

NAGR has posted a petition to the BATF:

http://nagr.org/2015/ObamaBATFAmmoBan.aspx?pid=2b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rotor

Post by rotor »

All of a sudden seeing ads for this "Recent Production Surplus Swedish Carl Gustaf NATO SS109/M855 " but it is Berdan primed and not reloadable. So be careful.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

rotor wrote:All of a sudden seeing ads for this "Recent Production Surplus Swedish Carl Gustaf NATO SS109/M855 " but it is Berdan primed and not reloadable. So be careful.
I saw the ad from AIMsurplus yesterday. When I looked in the evening after I got home it was sold out.

psijac
Posts in topic: 1

Post by psijac »

This is my face when I hear the ATF is wants to do something stupid

07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

jmra

Post by jmra »

LAX Ammo has it in stock $475/1000 if anyone is interested. I stocked up on the stuff when Walmart was selling it 420 rounds on stripper clips in a 30 cal can for $172. The brand LAX is selling is PMC X-TAC.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Proposed Ban: http://goo.gl/FPcycr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

When LI V armor plates are going for $65 why one has to worry about this green tip ammo?
Also, how many LEOs were shot with this green tip? Let us see, ...... How about a big ZERO.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Beiruty wrote:When LI V armor plates are going for $65 why one has to worry about this green tip ammo?
Also, how many LEOs were shot with this green tip? Let us see, ...... How about a big ZERO.
Yeah, I thought about how few, if any, LEOs have ever been shot with green tip; I'd imagine the mass media machine would be screaming about it if it had happened. It seems to be just something more for them to play "gotcha" against the firearms community.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
Beiruty wrote:When LI V armor plates are going for $65 why one has to worry about this green tip ammo?
Yeah, I thought about how few, if any, LEOs have ever been shot with green tip; I'd imagine the mass media machine would be screaming about it if it had happened. It seems to be just something more for them to play "gotcha" against the firearms community.
Sometimes marketing comes back to bite you. If it hadn't been marketed as armor piercing it probably would not have been targeted by the Feds.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

jmra wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:
Sometimes marketing comes back to bite you. If it hadn't been marketed as armor piercing it probably would not have been targeted by the Feds.
I can think of at least two on-line sellers who "hyped" this ammo as AP when it most certainly is NOT AP. However, if a car manufacturer says their car is a "race car", is it banned from the streets merely because of that marketing campaign? Or would the car have to be shown to be a race car and not a street car? I understand what you are saying, but the rationale being used by BATFE on this still stinks.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
jmra wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:
I can think of at least two on-line sellers who "hyped" this ammo as AP when it most certainly is NOT AP. However, if a car manufacturer says their car is a "race car", is it banned from the streets merely because of that marketing campaign? Or would the car have to be shown to be a race car and not a street car? I understand what you are saying, but the rationale being used by BATFE on this still stinks.
:iagree: I wasn't trying to justify what the Feds are doing. I just believe the marketing is what made the feds feel the door was open to take action.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 12

Post by C-dub »

Stuff like this always makes me wonder if someone somewhere didn't tell some friends to buy a whole lotta stock in manufacturer's of whatever and then release to the public that the fed was going to ban it. And then just sit back and watch their portfolio skyrocket.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Federal”