Cruz Declares Candidacy for POTUS 2016

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Cruz Declares Candidacy for POTUS 2016

Post by ScooterSissy »

TVGuy wrote:
baldeagle wrote: Barely won by 56.5%. If that's your definition of barely, I'll take it. Cornyn won in 2008 with 54.8% and in 2014 with 61.55%.
Using a general election statistic for a statewide election in Texas in the last 15+ years makes no sense.
I don't think that's what he was doing at all, he was rebutting a statement you made that simply did not hold up to the facts.
TVGuy wrote:If you think the sure way to victory is coming in second in a primary by a huge margin and then overcoming that in a runoff I question your judgment. Yes he was able to do it, it wasn't for the light hearted.
That's what primaries are for - to put a candidate out there for a general election. It doesn't matter if the primary candidate won in a single vote landslide or had to have 15 ballots to become the candidate, he (or she) still runs as the candidate.

Yes, it goes a bit back, but it might be of interest that in the 1860 Republican convention, they had to go through three ballots to get a candidate. Seward was the leading contender on both of the first two ballots. If everyone else had simply dropped out because they were "unelectable", we likely would never have seen Abraham Lincoln become President.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
If you listen to his speech, you'd understand. He said that millions of Christian conservatives do not vote. His appeal was directly to them. Get off your duffs and get to the polls and we can win this thing.
I'm not a Christian conservative. I'm a libertarian. I don't want some foam at the mouth bible thumper trying to use the government to tell me what to do any more than some Austin/Berkeley Nanny stater.

EDIT: I actually have no problems with Christian conservatives or their beliefs. Its not my fault they don't understand a proper service involves a bottle of wine at the sermon, and many bottles of wine at the social that evening. :cheers2:
I just don't want them telling me what to do any more than any one else telling me what to do.
That definitely wasn't the point. Cruz is not running on a platform of "Elect me as a Christian, and I'll tell you what to do", and he has no record of even remotely appearing to do so.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Those who state that Ted Cruz has no experience seem to forget that the current loser in chief has not ever produced anything worthwhile in his entire life.
Yep both he and Cruz are one term Senators.
Ted Cruz beats most if not all other candidates hands down in just his intellectual ability and his love for the Constitution.
The guy was on the floor of the Senate reciting Green Eggs and Ham? Isn't Obama cited for his intellectual ability?
You're not helping your case here. :bigear:
You do understand what's involved in a filibuster, right? Some have gone as far as to read the phone book.

It's probably worth noting that he also memorized the US Constitution while in high school. Have you?

I can live with having a President who is equally adept at understanding the US Constitution and Dr Seuss.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

ScooterSissy wrote: That definitely wasn't the point. Cruz is not running on a platform of "Elect me as a Christian, and I'll tell you what to do", and he has no record of even remotely appearing to do so.
Announcing your candidacy at Liberty University is an off the chart example of that.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

Jason K wrote:
rotor wrote:People, this is page 7 so far of what is becoming a nasty debate in an early campaign. We have a long way to go before the election. For those that support Cruz send money and for those that don't - well don't send money. It will certainly be interesting. I just don't think I can stand another Bush or Clinton in office. I like people who say what they mean and don't back down.
mojo84 wrote: Let's all get excited and passionate about promoting our preferred candidate and leave the bashing to the progressive liberals. We all know they will do plenty of it and we do not need to eat our own. I also think determining today who is or isn't electable is unfounded nonsense. Let's let this play out and do our parts so the cream will rise to the top.
Y'all have no idea how the Internet works.....If it wasn't for nasty debates and bashing, we'd all be forced to look at cat pictures. Besides, we still haven't settled the whole "9mm vs. .45ACP" argument yet....why do you think this one is going to end amicably?

:mrgreen:

Come on man, everyone knows 9mm with more rounds is the best. That's a fact!!! :biggrinjester:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

You do understand what's involved in a filibuster, right? Some have gone as far as to read the phone book.
How'd that filibuster work out? Oh yea, he voted to consider the bill he was filbustering. What? :headscratch
It's probably worth noting that he also memorized the US Constitution while in high school. Have you?
Making it personal I see. Totally irrelevant to the topic but for the matter, yep. Did you? Also read the Federalist papers and good old John Locke. :tiphat:
Took Con Law as well and passed the Texas Bar. Have you? But thats not relevant either.
I can live with having a President who is equally adept at understanding the US Constitution and Dr Seuss.
Even better, Grinch for President! :iagree:

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:I don't want some foam at the mouth bible thumper trying to use the government to tell me what to do .........
IMO, this right here is the unstated excuse (reason?) that many voters are so "NO WAY" about voting republican. After watching that speech, Cruze try to conjure up votes from his base, there's little to dissuade people from holding on to that opinion.

Here's the rub. I'm Jewish. I'm also a Tea party supporter. It's impossible to miss the very Christian overtones at Tea Party meetings.
But, here's the thing that most surprised me.

I attended a TP meeting last year where the headline topic was Religion in Public Schools (paraphrasing). I walked in the door prepared to be thrown out for speaking against allowing private (or more organized) prayer in public school. I was certain that was going to be the pitch. I could not have been more wrong. The speaker (I apologize for not remembering her name) was a military member (helo pilot??) who had written a book advocating for people of faith to send their kids to private, charter or home school, because public schools were not the right place for kids to practice or learn religion. There was clear support for school vouchers (which I support wholeheartedly), but not one person in an audience of several hundred tried to advocate for prayer in public school. It was a very real reset for me.

Will POTUS Cruz be an advocate for prayer in public schools, or an advocate for school vouchers? I believe the latter, but would like to hear that from his own mouth.
Maybe this will help:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoyGBiv wrote:As recent experience has shown me, it is very possible that even a very religious person/group can be trusted to wield the power of government without trying to impose their religious beliefs on the whole of the country. Being guided by your Faith is not the same as intending to impose your Faith on others.

Cruze's actions to date lead me to believe he is the former.
He will not get elected unless he can convince those that would believe otherwise.
On this, you and I agree; however, I believe you will see him do exactly that. The man is extremely persuasive; and is quite skilled at "speaking to the audience present". By this, I don't mean that he's a hypocrite, but he knows his audience, and he highlights his views and positions that resonate with that particular audience. That was true at the speech he gave at Liberty, and I suspect you'll see more "secular" views expressed at other venues.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Those who state that Ted Cruz has no experience seem to forget that the current loser in chief has not ever produced anything worthwhile in his entire life.
Yep both he and Cruz are one term Senators.
Ted Cruz beats most if not all other candidates hands down in just his intellectual ability and his love for the Constitution.
The guy was on the floor of the Senate reciting Green Eggs and Ham? Isn't Obama cited for his intellectual ability?
You're not helping your case here. :bigear:
Sometimes you amaze me. When you filibuster, you are reduced to reading something eventually. He could have read the Constitution, the Bible, 1984 or anything else. Reading Green Eggs and Ham says ZERO about his intellect, and you know it. Why engage in such sophism?
Because thats the only thing that will be remembered.
Only by those that are somehow unable to fully understand what was done.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I'll bite, what was done?

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
baldeagle wrote: ALL the politicians (with precious few exceptions) are working against our interests.
Thats pretty an interesting viewpoint. All those politicians you elected are working against your interest?

To the rest, fine, whatever. I am sure all the voters will have watched his filibuster throughout, on whatever it was, or whatever it achieved.

Its weird. Despite saying I look forward to him being in the race, I'm getting attacked. Did I miss a memo about some sort of party line I'm supposed to have here?

As a one term senator without other experience I don't feel he's qualified yet. Bomb throwing tactics are ok in the Senate. We need a few of those, and his stance on the Second Amendment is good. But that doesn't help with being a President. If you disagree thats fine. Everyone is free to disagree here.
Although you've mentioned many things you see as a negative (although some of them appear to be without real foundation), and mention a couple positive stances, you overlook one of his major strong points.

He's a rock solid constitutionalist. We need one in the White House.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

ScooterSissy wrote:
He's a rock solid constitutionalist.
:iagree:
From what I've seen on his website I'd second that. I've not seen anything to the contrary.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote: That definitely wasn't the point. Cruz is not running on a platform of "Elect me as a Christian, and I'll tell you what to do", and he has no record of even remotely appearing to do so.
Announcing your candidacy at Liberty University is an off the chart example of that.
How so? What "chart"? There is nothing in that choice other than a desire to motivate Christians to vote. Nothing at all wrong with that. I suspect though, that someone looking to find fault can pretend that's the case. That doesn't make it so.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting analysis from WaPo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 10

Post by baldeagle »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
How'd that filibuster work out? Oh yea, he voted to consider the bill he was filbustering. What? :headscratch
Making it personal I see. Totally irrelevant to the topic but for the matter, yep. Did you? Also read the Federalist papers and good old John Locke. :tiphat:
Took Con Law as well and passed the Texas Bar. Have you? But thats not relevant either.
Even better, Grinch for President! :iagree:
You are clearly just trying to stir up trouble. Therefore I will no longer respond to your silliness.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

ScooterSissy wrote: How so? What "chart"? There is nothing in that choice other than a desire to motivate Christians to vote.
Evangelical Christians of a certain bent perhaps. Others may have a different view.
(Edited as being unnecessarily harsh for no reason my apologies).

Return to “Federal”