NRA excludes Rand Paul at national convention

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

NRA excludes Rand Paul at national convention

Post by mojo84 »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04 ... nub-petty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts on this? This is the first I've heard of it and not aware of the potential reasons for this. Seems they wouldn't exclude him as he is a big 2nd Amendment supporter. Is it because of the connection to the other groups?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA excludes Rand Paul at national convention

Post by RoyGBiv »

Seems to me to be a bad call by NRA.
I'm not familiar with the back story (NAGR, etc.) but I believe Paul to be a staunch 2A supporter.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Seems to me to be a bad call by NRA.
I'm not familiar with the back story (NAGR, etc.) but I believe Paul to be a staunch 2A supporter.
:iagree: I can see why he feels slighted. Take a look at who's invited to their NRA-ILA Leadership Forum, to be held Friday, April 10:

Jeb Bush, Former Governor of Florida
Dr. Ben Carson, Neurosurgeon & Presidential Hopeful
David A. Clarke, Jr., Sheriff of Milwaukee County, WI
Ted Cruz, U.S. Senator, Texas
Lindsey Graham, U.S. Senator, South Carolina
Mike Huckabee, Former Governor of Arkansas
Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana
Rick Perry, Former Governor of Texas
Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator, Florida
Rick Santorum, Former U.S. Senator, PA
Donald Trump, Businessman
Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin

http://www.nranews.com/home/document/20 ... e-coverage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A BAD call of excluding him, IMO.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Publicly calling out the NRA (or anyone else) for not inviting him to speak makes Rand Paul look awfully petty.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I am anxious to see what Ben Carson has to say. I've heard him say he believes in certain gun control measures.

Here it is. He later comes out to "clarify" what he meant once he realized the potential backlash.

[video][/video]

He also believes cops should be trained to shoot the legs.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2014/11/ ... -the-legs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

I saw a similar article on the Daily Caller this morning. I'm not sure what goes into the decision to invite speakers to the convention, but it seems both odd that Rand Paul wasn't invited and petty that he's making a big deal about it. He's currently getting his media training under fire, so this could be another one of those rookie missteps that he'll iron out as he becomes more seasoned. I just hope that neither Paul nor the NRA allow this to become a wedge later on.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I don't know the reasons but I don't see him commenting on it as being "petty". The NRA and it's support is extremely valuable and the stakes in a presidential election are huge.

I also hope this isn't an indication of a big rift between the two.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

Did the NRA say why? Chris Christie wasn't invited either. :lol:

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

mojo84 wrote:I don't know the reasons but I don't see him commenting on it as being "petty". The NRA and it's support is extremely valuable and the stakes in a presidential election are huge.

His word
http://tinyurl.com/ogzpnjh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by EEllis »

They probably didn't invite him because as far as I know Paul has never been a NRA supporter. Why should they invite him?

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TexasCajun wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I don't know the reasons but I don't see him commenting on it as being "petty". The NRA and it's support is extremely valuable and the stakes in a presidential election are huge.

His word

Again, my point was missed. A poster said it was " petty" of Rand Paul to call out the NRA publicly. I was saying I didn't agree with that. It helps to read comments in context. ;-)

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

EEllis wrote:They probably didn't invite him because as far as I know Paul has never been a NRA supporter. Why should they invite him?
Based on what info? Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't so.

Is Ben Carson an NRA supporter? How about the membership status and support of all the other invitees?

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

mojo84 wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

His word

Again, my point was missed. A poster said it was " petty" of Rand Paul to call out the NRA publicly. I was saying I didn't agree with that. It helps to read comments in context. ;-)
Where was the poster hanging or displayed? :lol:

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

mojo84 wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

His word

From the Daily Caller article that I linked
Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul told Bloomberg News he believed it was “petty” that the National Rifle Association did not invite him to address attendees at their annual conference in Nashville this weekend.
Rand Paul (as indicated by the use of quotation marks) used the term to describe not being invited to address the convention.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TexasCajun wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

His word

From the Daily Caller article that I linked
Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul told Bloomberg News he believed it was “petty” that the National Rifle Association did not invite him to address attendees at their annual conference in Nashville this weekend.
Rand Paul (as indicated by the use of quotation marks) used the term to describe not being invited to address the convention.

I know he did. That's not what I was addressing. I disagree that you and PawPaw say it's petty of Paul to call the NRA out on it. I tend to agree that it's petty of them, the NRA, to not invite him. Why is that hard to understand? You do realize I am the original poster and included a link where it quotes Paul of using the word petty?

I used the term "poster" in an effort to avoid being accused of a personal attack.

Now, if the NRA shares their reasoning, my opinion may change.

Return to “Federal”