What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Is it a imigration bill or a national id bill

Post by tomneal »

I noticed an interview
"Senator Hutchison Discusses Immigration with Chris Matthews on MSNBC's Hardball"

The link is on:
http://www.senate.gov/~hutchison/

It looks like Senator Hutchison views the immigration bill as a National Id bill. (The US has 12 million or so residents that the Feds don't know.)

Why does it seem like politicians every where are obsessed with gathering information on US residents.

Wheither it's finger prints every time you renew your CHL, or a thumb print for your Texas Drivers License, Passports required to travel back from the Canada, Mexico, and other near by destinations, now the NRA backed bill that will force states to report mental health to the feds.

There are even little things like the libratarian question of "Does your ability to drive change when you move?". If not why do they require you to change your address?

It seems like the Z Visas are just a way to get identification documents to a portion of the population that is earning a living under the radar.

I don't have answers, only questions.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Lodge2004
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is it a imigration bill or a national id bill

Post by Lodge2004 »

tomneal wrote:Why does it seem like politicians every where are obsessed with gathering information on US residents.
While at the same time they will not pass a law requiring a person to show ID before they can vote?

Topic author
tomneal

vote / work

Post by tomneal »

No id required before you vote
But they are moving toward it.

In my lifetime I expect to see a VERIFIED Id required before you work.
See you at the range

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

No reform needed...Only enforcement...

Nuf' said...

The problem is that we don;t seem to have many elected officials that understand the concept in that thing we call the Constitution that states:

"...by the consent of the governed..."

I will give leeway, and trust my elected official to do things based upon their general political leanings, otherwise I would not have voted for them...But if you go off the reservation and not take a very careful look at what your consituency actually wants you to do...

This issue has brought a serious challenge to some of us...

I am only one person, and I believe I communicate very well with my representatives...Even if I didn't vote for them, or support them...

Sometimes our individual voices, way out in the district, get over-powered by other people (right there) yelling directly into their ears...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John »

Chris Baker made a really good comment on his radio show yesterday. I’ll make an attempt at paraphrasing. If we make it too easy for those in Mexico who are looking for a better quality of life, to get a better life in the USA; those who want that better life will leave Mexico without ever having the opportunity to effect change in Mexico.

I agree. Would the signers of the Declaration of Independence, have written that document if they could have just gone to Canada and get what they wanted out of life?
JohnC

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

John wrote:Chris Baker made a really good comment on his radio show yesterday. I’ll make an attempt at paraphrasing. If we make it too easy for those in Mexico who are looking for a better quality of life, to get a better life in the USA; those who want that better life will leave Mexico without ever having the opportunity to effect change in Mexico.

I agree. Would the signers of the Declaration of Independence, have written that document if they could have just gone to Canada and get what they wanted out of life?
Well, they would have gotten better whiskey...At least until Jack Daniels came along...Either way...Gooooooood stuff!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeremae »

stevie_d_64 wrote: Well, they would have gotten better whiskey...At least until Jack Daniels came along...Either way...Gooooooood stuff!
Actually the Canadien distillers were from the English Colonies who fled the Crown Revenue Tax Collectors to the French Colonies. They were mostly Scots and Irish who came to the American Colonies fleeing the Crown Revenue Tax Collectors. Most who didn't flee north moved west to Pennsalvania region. After Revolution, Washington (George) at the behest of Hamilton laid a tax on Whiskey which incited the Whiskey rebellion. When that petered out unsuccessfully and the Tax was enforced, they (the distillers) moved on to unclaimed territory in Kentuck.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John »

JohnC

Topic author
tomneal

Talk Radio

Post by tomneal »

"Talk Radio" has shed some sunlight on this bill
therefore
The "Talk Radio" problem needs to be taken care of?

Just like they took care of the NRA with Campain Finance reform.

My My
It looks like they can't get anything done because the people are watching and complaining.

Maybe the problem is the folks in Washington need to spend some time back in their home states, talking to the folks they represent.
See you at the range

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The topical nature of this discussion is fairly evident...

If this is the tone of how D.C. intends to conduct business for the time being, what makes it less likely that infringing legislation or other restrictions on our right to keep and bear arms go any different...

Just something to keep in mind...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Federal”