Chicago Tribune: Democrats should ask Clinton to step aside

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672

Chicago Tribune: Democrats should ask Clinton to step aside

Postby bblhd672 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 am

NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“What ‘gun law’ would have prevented the Sutherland Springs church massacre? Or the Las Vegas massacre?"

Ike Aramba

Re: Chicago Tribune: Democrats should ask Clinton to step aside

Postby Ike Aramba » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Can Kaine legally step into her place on the ballot? I think he missed the filing deadline.

srothstein

Postby srothstein » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:15 pm

If any candidate from a party becomes unqualified between the party nomination and the electoral college vote, federal law provides for the party to replace the candidate by their choice within their own party rules. It does not have to be the VP candidate. They could pick almost anyone, even if it is after the election but before the electoral college.

If something happens to the president-elect (as selected by the electoral college), then the normal rules of succession (i.e. the VP-elect) take effect.
Steve Rothstein

ScottDLS

Postby ScottDLS » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Ike Aramba wrote:Can Kaine legally step into her place on the ballot? I think he missed the filing deadline.

It doesn't matter, the votes for electors will be counted for her, then the electors can elect Kaine, if she steps down before they meet. She could be a convicted felon in jail and stand for election I believe. There is no Constitutional requirement to have a clean record to be President, and I don't think Congress can enact one that goes beyond those set out in Article 2...but who knows maybe its contained in the Privacy Amendment next to Abortion and Sodomite marriage... :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Federal”