Hearing Protection Act of 2017

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Hearing Protection Act of 2017

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:What is wrong with Cruz? Did his loss to Trump cause him such distress he's retreated to a safe space?
I'm guessing that he's just tied up with things like schooling sanders in debates... :lol::
Yeah, but how long does it take to tell your chief of staff to make sure your name appears on some legislation as a cosponsor?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

I'm looking forward to buying my first suppressor at Academy for $39.95.... (checks wallet).
-Ruark

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 34

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:What is wrong with Cruz? Did his loss to Trump cause him such distress he's retreated to a safe space?
I'm guessing that he's just tied up with things like schooling sanders in debates... :lol::
Yeah, but how long does it take to tell your chief of staff to make sure your name appears on some legislation as a cosponsor?
not this long.... :waiting:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TreyHouston »

Ruark wrote:I'm looking forward to buying my first suppressor at Academy for $39.95.... (checks wallet).
YEP! Every Tom Dick and Harry are foing to be making and selling them! I expect prices to plummet! Anyone think im wrong?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

jb2012
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jb2012 »

TreyHouston wrote:
Ruark wrote:I'm looking forward to buying my first suppressor at Academy for $39.95.... (checks wallet).
YEP! Every Tom Dick and Harry are foing to be making and selling them! I expect prices to plummet! Anyone think im wrong?
I'm going to guess that prices will go down, but not plummet. I'm sure you will be able to buy some "disposable" supressors for cheap, but I would expect the big name quality supressors to stay within 10-20% of their current prices. There is an elasticity to every product, and companies know what they can and should get for their products.

Rhino1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rhino1 »

I was at SHOT Show. The consensus of suppressor manufacturers that I talked to was that the shelves would be empty the day the bill is signed and prices would skyrocket. Eventually the price would stabilize, hopefully much lower with others entering the market, as supply caught up with demand.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Rhino1 wrote:I was at SHOT Show. The consensus of suppressor manufacturers that I talked to was that the shelves would be empty the day the bill is signed and prices would skyrocket. Eventually the price would stabilize, hopefully much lower with others entering the market, as supply caught up with demand.
This is kind of what I have heard. It'll take 2-3 years for everything to fully stabilize...

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

It may take a while to be legal in some states. That would help limit the demand a bit.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Why wouldn't foreign mfgs. import lower cost suppressors?

I recall reading something to the effect they sell suppressors in Europe for $150.00 or so.

So, why would domestic mfgs. continue to demand so very, very much more?

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TreyHouston »

Abraham wrote:Why wouldn't foreign mfgs. import lower cost suppressors?

I recall reading something to the effect they sell suppressors in Europe for $150.00 or so.

:iagree: its a tube and some baffling, nothing overly impressive here!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

House bill to 101 sponsors today.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Abraham wrote:Why wouldn't foreign mfgs. import lower cost suppressors?

I think it's partly because most people will balk at paying a $200 tax on a $150 item. If you can afford to pay a much higher price for the item, the $200 tax seems less onerous.

There's also the economies of scale. The suppressor market is very small compared to say the firearms market. To be able to turn enough profit to stay in business they need a higher markup.

Those reasons and, "Because they can."

Eliminating the tax will eliminate all of those things. It will take time for the market to settle, however.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

If suppressors are removed from the NFA, what's the argument to treat them as firearms? Why shouldn't they be treated like any other muzzle device?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Ameer wrote:If suppressors are removed from the NFA, what's the argument to treat them as firearms? Why shouldn't they be treated like any other muzzle device?
Well now you're just being logical. Stop that!!! ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Ameer wrote:If suppressors are removed from the NFA, what's the argument to treat them as firearms? Why shouldn't they be treated like any other muzzle device?
Compromise to get moderate democrats on board and keep moderate republicans on board. That's the only reason that provision is on it, if you ask me.

Return to “Federal”