Concealed Carry Reciprocity is on the Move: Your Lawmakers Need to Hear from You NOW!

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Concealed Carry Reciprocity is on the Move: Your Lawmakers Need to Hear from You NOW!

Post by mr1337 »

There will be immense pressure by the Democratic party for the party members to vote against. That being said, I think contacting (D) congressmen and women is just as important, or more important than contacting (R) congresspeople. If the (D)'s get an onslaught of emails, phone calls, and faxes supporting the bill, they may think twice about what their constituents want, especially if they are up for reelection soon.

As far as the generic, wishy-washy response from Vasey, I would take it as a sign that he either opposes it and doesn't want to tell supporters that, or that he opposes it and just hasn't prepared a specific response to this bill. Of course, there's a slim (to none) chance that he actually hasn't given it any thought.

No matter what his current state, or the current state of any of the (D)'s, we need to keep hammering them with contacts (phone, email, fax) to make sure we are heard.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Concealed Carry Reciprocity is on the Move: Your Lawmakers Need to Hear from You NOW!

Post by Pawpaw »

More libtard drivel:

Are Gun Control Advocates Liars, Or Just Stupid?
The latest example that makes me ask the question comes from the New York Times. In particular, columnist Gail Collins, who writes this bit:
Gail Collins wrote:The House Judiciary Committee just voted to make it impossible for a state to always keep people convicted of violent offenses from carrying concealed weapons.
With a beginning like that, you just know it’s going to be good. You know that you’re going to read a reasonable discourse on the topic of national reciprocity, right?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

strogg

Post by strogg »

Pawpaw wrote:More libtard drivel:

Are Gun Control Advocates Liars, Or Just Stupid?
The latest example that makes me ask the question comes from the New York Times. In particular, columnist Gail Collins, who writes this bit:
Gail Collins wrote:The House Judiciary Committee just voted to make it impossible for a state to always keep people convicted of violent offenses from carrying concealed weapons.
With a beginning like that, you just know it’s going to be good. You know that you’re going to read a reasonable discourse on the topic of national reciprocity, right?
And they totally forgot the existing law about violent felons and anyone convicted of DV being automatically DQed already? Yeah that annoyed me too.

My favorite is them going on about how there are many states like Wyoming and Arizona that will let anyone carry, which means that 16 year old felons can carry in all 50 states! Um... No. That's not how it works. True, anyone in those states who can legally possess a firearm can carry without a permit/license, but they won't be able to carry out of state without one. Not now. Not after the law passes. They'll have to get a permit in that state first. Funny thing is, they fail to mention the amount of reciprocity that most states have today. As a Texan, I can already carry in 36 other states in the nation. Funny thing is, WY and AZ resident permits are allowed in more states today... 37 for WY, 38 for AZ.

On a related note, does anyone know the specifics on licensing requirements by state so residents are allowed to carry in the other 49 + DC? Or is it any license, carry anywhere?

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ScottDLS »

Sens. Corker and McLame are worried that reciprocity will add to the deficit, so they will join Chuck and Nancy to kill it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Boxerrider »

RPBrown wrote:Like I said earlier, I contacted my Representative and didn't expect much if anything because he has that bid D by his name. I just got a reply from him and here is what he said:

MARC VEASEY
33RD DISTRICT, TEXAS

(snip)
I support the Second Amendment and an individual's right to bear arms, and am committed to enacting responsible and sensible laws that will continue to improve our safety while preserving those rights.
I think this part is pretty clear - he is committed to enacting laws that further restrict the 2nd amendment, not protect it. He just did a slicker job of saying it than Jackson Lee's, there is a 500% chance we'll all be murdered! :banghead:

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Question: How would HR38 be enforced? NY, NJ, MD, and several other non-gun friendly states have been ignoring FOPA since its inception. What's to stop these anti-gun states from simply arresting out of staters on state gun violations? Is there anything in HR38 that would provide a penalty for states that violate it?
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

TexasCajun wrote:Question: How would HR38 be enforced? NY, NJ, MD, and several other non-gun friendly states have been ignoring FOPA since its inception. What's to stop these anti-gun states from simply arresting out of staters on state gun violations? Is there anything in HR38 that would provide a penalty for states that violate it?
What examples are there of someone being convicted of a state offense in violation of FOPA?
Every example i’m aware of has prevailed in Federal court
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by parabelum »

ScottDLS wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:Question: How would HR38 be enforced? NY, NJ, MD, and several other non-gun friendly states have been ignoring FOPA since its inception. What's to stop these anti-gun states from simply arresting out of staters on state gun violations? Is there anything in HR38 that would provide a penalty for states that violate it?
What examples are there of someone being convicted of a state offense in violation of FOPA?
This is one example that I can think of right now, surely there are more, where out-of-State person was hassled by gestapo State, had to go through the ringer etc.
At least Blimp pardon this lady, but you can imagine the hassle...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_j ... n_law.html

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ScottDLS wrote:
How many have there been that we didn't hear about because the victim didn't have the resources to take it to Federal court?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

parabelum wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
This is one example that I can think of right now, surely there are more, where out-of-State person was hassled by gestapo State, had to go through the ringer etc.
At least Blimp pardon this lady, but you can imagine the hassle...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_j ... n_law.html
This person was not traveling in accordance with FOPA, which would have required her to have the handgun in the trunk, ammunition separate, and traveling to a state where her possession was legal. She met none of those criteria and therefore was illegally carrying a handgun in New Jersey without a permit. NJ law is stupid, but it is the law for now.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Pawpaw wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
How many have there been that we didn't hear about because the victim didn't have the resources to take it to Federal court?
If you were going down for a felony, that you didn't commit because it was preempted by FOPA and you just went ahead and let yourself get convicted, because you "didn't have the resources"...Well you could pretty much make that argument about any crime up to murder. If you don't have the resources to defend yourself, I guess "The Man" can just frame you up for murder, when you "dint do nuffin". Like OJ 'cept he was rich...

I suspect the reason we don't hear of unlawful convictions for crime covered by FOPA is that the prosecutors either quietly drop them, or the defendant pleads them down to some bogus misdemeanor like disorderly conduct, to save themselves hassle and money. The prosecutor agrees to avoid losing in court and eventually possibly being liable for federal civil rights violations.

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

24 State Attorneys General Back National Reciprocity
Fairfax, Va.— Today, H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, gained support from a coalition of America’s highest-ranking law enforcement officers. Twenty-four* attorneys general from across the country signed a letter spearheaded by Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley supporting this common sense legislation.

The additional support for Concealed Carry Reciprocity follows House Judiciary Committee approval of H.R. 38. A full House vote is expected soon.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Dems looking to tack on gun-control to this bill.

https://www.facebook.com/RepThomasMassi ... 9172384905
To recap, what are some clues that you should be concerned with the fix-NICS bill?

(1) The first sentence after the title of the bill reads “Section 103 of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (34 U.S.C. 40901) is amended…”
(2) Senators Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer are cosponsors in the Senate.
(3) It’s being rammed through, without a hearing, in a very nontransparent process, and it will be passed by attaching it to the popular concealed carry reciprocity bill which already has enough votes to pass on its own.
(4) It spends over half a billion dollars to collect more names to include in a list of people who will never be allowed to own a firearm.
(5) It compels administrative agencies, not just courts, to adjudicate your second amendment rights.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

TreyHouston wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:I sincerely hope Blake (the Flake) Farenthold loses his NRA 'A' rating for skipping this one....
Yes, any nay votes or no vote need to be bumped down at least 2 grades!!!
He is not running for re-election, so it doesn't matter. I was thinking of contacting the Republican party to see if they have a replacement (and volunteering to run if they don't) since that is my district.
Steve Rothstein

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

ScottDLS wrote:What examples are there of someone being convicted of a state offense in violation of FOPA?
There was one case I was aware of that the US Appellate courts upheld, though I think it violates FOPA. A person flying through NYC got caught there on a layover when the connecting flight got cancelled. The airline put him up in a hotel overnight and gave him his luggage back, with the checked gun in it. When he went back to the airport the next day to get his new flight, he checked the gun in the luggage. The Port Police (airport has its own department by that name) were called about the gun and arrested him. They argued that it was not in accordance with FOPA because the overnight stay in NYC meant that it was two separate trips and the gun was not legal in the state the first flight ended and the new flight was originating in. I remember us discussing it in these forums, but do not have the citation available right now.

Hopefully someone else can remember it more accurately than I do and provide more information. I also hope the decision was finally reversed but I don't think it was. I remember us all concluding that we should not pick up the luggage if something like this happens just so we do not get caught rechecking it.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Federal”