What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: H.R.38: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

Post by bblhd672 »

rotor wrote:
apostate wrote:
skeathley wrote:I think many people are over-reacting to this. Trump is a simple man on some levels, but very complex on others. He dangles carrots, out-thinks, and out-flanks his opponents. Like someone said recently, he plays chess, not checkers. I don't like what he has said about gun rights, but this game is not over. I think we should wait and see what happens. He may will surprise us all.

Of course, if he does throw us under the bus, bashing him now will not change that, but it will give comfort to our enemies.

:txflag:
Trump was POTUS for more than a year before the Cruz V-Day massacre. During that time, the House and Senate had Republican majorities. Therefore, I conclude their failure to pass national reciprocity has absolutely nothing to do with those murders and everything to do with their real views on RKBA.

They are of course welcome to prove me wrong, preferably before November.
There is a limit of what one can do without 60 senate votes. I realize that you know this but it takes 60.
Not really, it takes 51 Republicans with the patriotism necessary to overcome Senate rules and decorum. Unfortunately that will never happen. They like their rules because it allows them to hide instead of doing the things their constituents want done.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

bblhd672 wrote:
rotor wrote:
apostate wrote:
skeathley wrote:I think many people are over-reacting to this. Trump is a simple man on some levels, but very complex on others. He dangles carrots, out-thinks, and out-flanks his opponents. Like someone said recently, he plays chess, not checkers. I don't like what he has said about gun rights, but this game is not over. I think we should wait and see what happens. He may will surprise us all.

Of course, if he does throw us under the bus, bashing him now will not change that, but it will give comfort to our enemies.

Trump was POTUS for more than a year before the Cruz V-Day massacre. During that time, the House and Senate had Republican majorities. Therefore, I conclude their failure to pass national reciprocity has absolutely nothing to do with those murders and everything to do with their real views on RKBA.

There is a limit of what one can do without 60 senate votes. I realize that you know this but it takes 60.
Not really, it takes 51 Republicans with the patriotism necessary to overcome Senate rules and decorum. Unfortunately that will never happen. They like their rules because it allows them to hide instead of doing the things their constituents want done.
Actually, doesn't it just take the Senate majority leader to change the rules? One man.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

I had the opportunity to speak in person with Representative Hudson who originated this bill yesterday at NRA Convention. From his speech at the podium for the Executive Leadership session, he said that he is hopeful that they can get enough votes in the Senate this year.

I asked him if he really believed that they can get enough Democratic votes in the Senate for passage. He said that they believe that they have 6 but would need 9 with the current Senate population (before the mid-terms). I specifically asked about push back from NY, NJ, CA and MD who likely would see the most harm to their existing policies from this bill. He didn't believe that they would have any special influence if the actual voting Senators could be identified.

I sure would like to see a big "call your Senators" push in advance of a scheduled vote. I don't pretend to understand National level politics but making Democrats defend themselves from a push by gun owners might help even it the votes are not yet there.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
rotor wrote:
apostate wrote:

Actually, doesn't it just take the Senate majority leader to change the rules? One man.
The majority leader can change the rules, but the full Senate by majority has to approve the rule change. Time to invoke the Reid rule.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Any hope if the reciprocity bill is passed it'll also be standardized throughout the states?

O.K., O.K., dumb question as each state will insist on their own set of rules that'll require scholarly study if you don't want to end up in the slammer. (or...am I, now whispering... wrong?)

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Abraham wrote:Any hope if the reciprocity bill is passed it'll also be standardized throughout the states?

O.K., O.K., dumb question as each state will insist on their own set of rules that'll require scholarly study if you don't want to end up in the slammer. (or...am I, now whispering... wrong?)
I have no real idea about standardization. I can tell you this. RV rules are anything BUT standard across the States. For example, we have a motor home and tow a car behind it. When you start reading the rules for "trailers", it isn't at all clear State to State what is and what isn't a trailer. It gets more murky about whether or not the "trailer" has to have its own brakes. In Texas, the limit for that is 4,500lbs while other States require trailer brakes at 1,500lbs. There is a Federal guideline for requiring a special driver's license for vehicles weighing more than 26,000lbs and RV type trailers weighing more than 10,000lbs and many States have a similar rule - but not all of them.

Given the nature of firearms in politics, I cannot imagine that rules governing them would be more standard than that. And that probably is a good thing. And I have no illusions about, after National reciprocity passes, some of the most anti-gun States trying to pass laws to get around it. I'm sure that it would make Maryland politicians' heads explode to allow me and my Texas LTC in their State. I do understand that Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore would be very sympathetic but neither of those areas has much say in MD politics today. MD, NJ and NY definite WANT you and I to spend jail time for our abhorrent ideas on guns.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

chasfm11 wrote:Given the nature of firearms in politics, I cannot imagine that rules governing them would be more standard than that. And that probably is a good thing. And I have no illusions about, after National reciprocity passes, some of the most anti-gun States trying to pass laws to get around it. I'm sure that it would make Maryland politicians' heads explode to allow me and my Texas LTC in their State. I do understand that Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore would be very sympathetic but neither of those areas has much say in MD politics today. MD, NJ and NY definite WANT you and I to spend jail time for our abhorrent ideas on guns.
National reciprocity should be an amendment to LEOSA § 926C and citizens with a license to carry from any state should have the same right to keep and bear arms as qualified retired law enforcement officers. Who can rationally object to that reasonable restriction?
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

bblhd672 wrote: Not really, it takes 51 Republicans with the patriotism necessary to overcome Senate rules and decorum. Unfortunately that will never happen. They like their rules because it allows them to hide instead of doing the things their constituents want done.
There are a lot of things I'd like to see congress do, but also many that I don't want done. The 60 vote rule both helps and hinders both parties. The democrats deleted that rule for federal appointees except for the SCOTUS and I suspect many of them regret doing it now that they're no longer in control.

If we take a "My way or the highway" approach and wipe out all the opposition tools, one of these days we'll find ourselves out on the highway. Republicans will not always hold the majority in congress and we'd be inviting retaliation and worse.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

...and one day, none this will matter...

Politics and keeping up with it has pretty much exhausted my give a darn factor.

Given there's little I can do except vote and urge others to vote, chastise the left, I'm pretty much out of ammo...

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

rotor wrote:
apostate wrote:

Shall I take it then, that you agree Las Vegas and Parkland are red herring excuses, and are not reasons we don't have national reciprocity yet?

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

apostate wrote:
rotor wrote:
apostate wrote:

Shall I take it then, that you agree Las Vegas and Parkland are red herring excuses, and are not reasons we don't have national reciprocity yet?
Yes. I am very much for national reciprocity. Also for silencers. I would like to be able to buy a newly manufactured Tommy gun. When you have almost 1/2 of the senate that would like to eliminate the 2A though I don't see that it will happen. I can hope.

Return to “Federal”