"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

flytoride
Posts in topic: 10

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by flytoride »

joeldad wrote:Hello all.

This is my first post on this forum. I've been reading the amazingly short times that people have been receiving their CHLs within for the last couple months, and I am perplexed.

Here is my situation:

- TX DPS received all of my CHL materials on August 18th (I got the confirmation email from them, after submitting everything online)
- I am almost 60 days out now, and I haven't heard a peep from them with no CHL in hand.
- I am a former CHL holder with still as squeaky-clean a record as I could have. This is a new CHL. My old one lapsed.
- I have emailed them twice (with no response), and I called them a few weeks ago only to be told that there was still a "routine background check" to do that would put me past 60 days, most likely.
- My app status on the TX DPS website still has not changed.
- Ugh. :confused5

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? Thanks, and I look forward to the forum.

I'm almost at day 30 myself. They don't like to respond to emails it seems, as I too have emailed them twice. Once for a general inquiry, and the other for a status update. No responses to either. I finally called and was told "It's in processing." Just like you, I have a clean record (minus a couple traffic tickets).

What confuses me the most is, my fiancé and I took the class together. I submitted my documents a week before her, and she got her CHL within 10 business days. And she even had to submit citizenship documents because she was born abroad to US citizens.

So, I guess we're in the long wait crowd together.

joeldad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joeldad »

Maybe it just takes some venting on a web forum to move things along...? :roll:

60 calendar days later, I received plastic in the mail today! :mrgreen:

The first time I had a CHL, I got it in under 30 days, and that was about 10 years ago. I can't say I'm confident that they are moving any faster these days, but I'm glad mine finally came. I wish the rest of you a speedier process than mine!

mmtex63
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mmtex63 »

New to the forum and first post. :clapping: :clapping:

I just took the class today and will submit all items this evening................... if I can figure out our NIB printer.

I hope my impatience doesn't get the best of me with this process and really glad I'm finally getting this taken care of.

Glad I was told about this site.

Southern Sandman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Southern Sandman »

Submitted application online: 10/5/2014
CHL Class: 10/5/2014
Fingerprinted: 10/9/2014
All documents submitted online to DPS: 10/9/2014
Received Criminal Background check in the mail from DPS: 10/17/2014 (postmarked 10/15/2014)

and (drumroll please):

Received letter from DPS 10/20/2014 stating fingerprints had not been received and I needed to go get fingerprinted (what the heck??!!)

Called DPS CHL and they said they don't have my fingerprints... They said to ignore the letter and wait a week...

HELP!!!!!

Southern Sandman

Called DPS again and got somebody much more helpful. Seems I committed a boo-boo going to the link for new users to file my application this time (I had a TX CHL circa 1996). I should have gone to the "existing users" link even though the world wide web was in its infancy back then and my application was handled only by snail mail, the permit lapsed long ago, i've been out of the state with CHLs in CO and UT in the interim, now have a different drivers license, etc., etc. At first she confused me when she said I had not one but two applications, and my fingerprints got sent to the wrong one (presumably the one from 1996 that already had fingerprints and was approved). In any case, she said to give it a week for them to merge the two applications...

Penalty Box: 1 week

Note to Joeldad:

My circumstances sound similar to yours... Perhaps same process?!

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 15

My irritatigly long, mailbox checking, windows refreshing wa

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Hello All, I finally took the time to get my prints done, and I mailed off all of my paperwork one september 29th 2014, and I am still waiting for some sort update on the website. 28 days now and nothing new, and I am a terribly impatient individual. I am current law enforcement, and I reside out of Bexar County. That being said, I have a squeky clean record, and I am not worried about any background issues. I am supprised that it is taking so long for their ackowledgement that they recieved my papers. Nothing in the mail back, no calls, and no emails.

Any comments or personal suggestions? (And yes, I used snail mail, but I live rurally without internet. Posting by phone.)
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 14

Re: My irritatigly long, mailbox checking, windows refreshin

Post by Pawpaw »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:Hello All, I finally took the time to get my prints done, and I mailed off all of my paperwork one september 29th 2014, and I am still waiting for some sort update on the website. 28 days now and nothing new, and I am a terribly impatient individual. I am current law enforcement, and I reside out of Bexar County. That being said, I have a squeky clean record, and I am not worried about any background issues. I am supprised that it is taking so long for their ackowledgement that they recieved my papers. Nothing in the mail back, no calls, and no emails.

Any comments or personal suggestions? (And yes, I used snail mail, but I live rurally without internet. Posting by phone.)
When you log in as a returning user, do you see a link to change your address or report a lost license? If you do, it's in the mail.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flytoride

Post by flytoride »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:Hello All, I finally took the time to get my prints done, and I mailed off all of my paperwork one september 29th 2014, and I am still waiting for some sort update on the website. 28 days now and nothing new, and I am a terribly impatient individual. I am current law enforcement, and I reside out of Bexar County. That being said, I have a squeky clean record, and I am not worried about any background issues. I am supprised that it is taking so long for their ackowledgement that they recieved my papers. Nothing in the mail back, no calls, and no emails.

You're not alone. I'm on day 38 and haven't gotten anything from them either.

Southern Sandman

Status changed online today (10/28/14), and I gather that means my permit is in the mail.

So that second person I spoke with was dead-bang-on-correct when she said it would take until Monday 10/26/14 to merge the file from my applications. Two days later, permit is in the mail.

So, assuming that means what everybody says it means, it's still just 19 days from the time DPS had everything.

By law they are supposed to do it within 60, so I'd say as far as state agencies are concerned, this one is really pretty efficient.

If memory serves, back in 1996, it came almost right on the 60th day & I also have a squeaky clean record (a physician with a controlled substance registration also through DPS both in 1996 and now). So, it seems they've gotten much faster at this.

Sorry, don't mean to be irritating to those still waiting. Think of it as "light at the end of the tunnel". I had issues with mine as well, going to the wrong arm of the website for an online submission (inasmuch as I had one back in 1996 and my fignerprints went to THAT application).
Last edited by Southern Sandman on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlies.Contingency

Pawpaw wrote:

When you log in as a returning user, do you see a link to change your address or report a lost license? If you do, it's in the mail.
No pawpaw (Hard putting that, being it's what we call my wife's father!), I still just get this message. :???:
CHL APPLICATION STATUS: If you have a pending CHL application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required.

Day 29 and counting. :rules:

Charlies.Contingency

flytoride wrote:

I would be satisfied if I don't have to wait as long as you already have. :biggrinjester:

But I know it's going to be a while, but I just want to get some reassurance that they received it!

flytoride

Post by flytoride »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
flytoride wrote:

I would be satisfied if I don't have to wait as long as you already have. :biggrinjester:

But I know it's going to be a while, but I just want to get some reassurance that they received it!
Give them a call at (512) 424-7293. They will usually at least tell you whether or not they have received your information. Whether or not you get more information than that seems to depend on who you get.

Charlies.Contingency

flytoride wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:
flytoride wrote:

Give them a call at (512) 424-7293. They will usually at least tell you whether or not they have received your information. Whether or not you get more information than that seems to depend on who you get.
I called the number provided, and after a 30min talk with the extremely helpful gal on the other sode, she had discovered that my packet was never recieved, and at this point, it could be assumed it is lost. The sent me a letter, but in my letter to them, I sent a notifcation of mailing Address change, they they sent it to the wrong place. She then advised me to email or fax them the papers, and I advised her I am deployed to a worksite for 30 more days, and that I have no access to a scanner or fax machine. She then told me that if I could get a good photo of my papers, and emailed them in Jpeg format? I think I can do that off of my I-phone 4, and email it from here in the middle of nowhere! Do ya'll think it will be the right format for them?

Charlies.Contingency

Issue emailing documents to DPS...

Okay, I checked my phone, and it's supposed to use JPG photo, and the dps site say it must be .Jpeg, I thought this was the same thing, so I filled out the form and attatched my pictures on the site, but every time I hit submit, it reads some error... Cancel that, tried again, and it worked! The RSD gal told me I should expect it to process in the next thee days. I thanked her and complimented her for her helpfulness and patience. If only the DMV had people like that! :lol::

XDK
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Issue emailing documents to DPS...

Post by XDK »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:Okay, I checked my phone, and it's supposed to use JPG photo, and the dps site say it must be .Jpeg, I thought this was the same thing, so I filled out the form and attatched my pictures on the site, but every time I hit submit, it reads some error... Cancel that, tried again, and it worked! The RSD gal told me I should expect it to process in the next thee days. I thanked her and complimented her for her helpfulness and patience. If only the DMV had people like that! :lol::

lol u got more of of them then i usually get :P usually i just get the blanket " 6 weeks or more " if i call

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”