January Applicants

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

steve_stock
Posts in topic: 10

Re: January Applicants

Post by steve_stock »

To my fellow waiters. Following the lead on a couple of other posters on here and subscribing to the theory that the squeeky wheel gets the grease, I decided to contact my state rep and our senator after 57 days. This is the letter that I sent them, please feel free to modify/use if you wish.

Dear Representative _______,

I'm sure that I am not the first person to come to you about the extraordinary delays being encountered by Texas citizens who are trying to obtain a CHL. Today, I confirmed with Steve at the DPS on the phone that they received my application 57 days ago on 1/26/09.

I brought to Steve’s attention that according to Texas GC 411.177 their department is required to do one of three things within 60 days of receiving my application, 1) issue the license to me; 2) deny my application in writing; 3) explain in writing that they would not be able to meet this 60 day deadline and provide an estimate. The law goes on to say that if none of these 3 choices happen within 90 days of receiving my application that it constitutes a denial of my application. Steve was not helpful and offered no estimate of completion even when asked by me. I would be very appreciative if there is anything that you can do to ensure that our state employees at the DPS are held accountable to the same laws as you and I.

Sincerely,
Stephen Stock

steve_stock

Post by steve_stock »

If you want to find out who represents you:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

Texas_shooter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas_shooter »

New applicant - Brazos County

CHL Class 01/04/09
Recieved by DPS 01/07/09
Processing and PIN 02/06/09
Completed 03/17/09
Plastic 03/20/09
75 days from class to plastic

Keith B
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum guys!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

05kas05
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 05kas05 »

my application was sent in about a week before yours was steve so i am going to assume your status should change in about a week
they received mine on the 21 of jan and my status changed yesterday to complete that was a total of 44 buisness days.i did not count the weekends as they dont work on them.i say you should be getting some good news in a couple of days be patient my friend good things come to those who wait

JonK
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JonK »

05kas05 wrote:my application was sent in about a week before yours was steve so i am going to assume your status should change in about a week
they received mine on the 21 of jan and my status changed yesterday to complete that was a total of 44 buisness days.i did not count the weekends as they dont work on them.i say you should be getting some good news in a couple of days be patient my friend good things come to those who wait
Weekends are actually part of the 60days based on the way the law was written. When you get a citation you so not get to use weekends in your favor and the DPS should also not be able to do it.

On another note Congrats on getting your plastic.

-Jon
1/31/09 -- Class Taken
2/02/09 -- Packet mailed
2/04/09 -- Confirmed delivery
3/04/09 -- Status Processing
4/04/09 -- Contacted Rep application is being "expedited"
5/13/09 -- Background complete
5/28/09 -- Status - Application Complete (Next Day Air on License)
5/29/09 -- Plastic in hand!

steve_stock

Post by steve_stock »

Normally I would have been more patient, but when I called DPS, the guy was so rude and unhelpful that I just had enough of it. They know the law and just don't care. He blatently threw his above the law attitude at me which made it even worse. I'm actually proud of myself because I didn't loose my cool with the guy. I'm glad that you got yours that shows progress.

Steve

steve_stock

Post by steve_stock »

05kas05,

I'm curious, would you mind telling me what county you are in. I'm in Harris and was told that because I am in the Gulf Coast Region that my background check is being delayed. This is just absurd to me. I have no criminal record, I am an honorably discharged Army vet and I have lived in the same house that I own for about 7 years now. There is just no reason for it to be like this.

Steve

Muhr
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Muhr »

Just wait until people start getting licenses that had start/application processing dates after yours. Thats when the real paranoia starts.

Day 76 and I have not yet begun to fight, yet.

Of course, I am in Llano county, so I could just be delayed by the hurricanes (only 225 miles away), or the hardcore street crime we have out here (Maybe I am a suspect in a serial cow tipping case)

Then again, I did make repeated deployments to the middle east for the Global War on Ter......errrrrrrrrrrrrr the 'Overseas Contingency Operation' ... maybe I should have disclosed this "buisness travel"
Last edited by Muhr on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

steve i live in williamson county or roundrock tx so i am not far from austin,there has been a lot of issues with harris county it seems but i am just going by what i read on this forum.it seems like the excuse for awhile was the hurricanes were the reason for the backlog.and i also heard/read that they only had one pearson doing the apps but that might have changed.i am sure someone in that area can chime in and give you a heads up-good luck 05kas05

prossound
Posts in topic: 4

Post by prossound »

I am in Williamson County also just outside of Round Rock city limits but no updates on my status yet. :cryin

05kas05 wrote:steve i live in williamson county or roundrock tx so i am not far from austin,there has been a lot of issues with harris county it seems but i am just going by what i read on this forum.it seems like the excuse for awhile was the hurricanes were the reason for the backlog.and i also heard/read that they only had one pearson doing the apps but that might have changed.i am sure someone in that area can chime in and give you a heads up-good luck 05kas05

steve_stock

Post by steve_stock »

I just saw while looking at others on this forum that magically after contacting their rep and senator they received their licenses in a couple weeks, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

Gunners
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Gunners »

Class: 01/07/09
Mailed: 01/08/09
DPS Received: 01/13/09
Processing: 02/09/09
Completed: 03/17/09
Plastic In Hand: 03/21/09

05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

well i sure hope it works because some people do have to wait to long.as far as my license it came in the mail this afternoon so i hope you and everyone else thats waiting gets theirs real soon good luck guys. :anamatedbanana finally out of the waiting room :anamatedbanana

alexb_satx

Post by alexb_satx »

They recieved my signed pics on Feb 23rd. I called a few days ago and they said 60 days from that date I should be getting my license. LOL. I guess with every error it sets you back 60 days. I asked if anything else is pending and they said no. Kinda frustrating. But oh well.. now I know and maybe you'all do too.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”