Keep Waiting or Given 'em a Call

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LainD
Posts in topic: 5

Keep Waiting or Given 'em a Call

Post by LainD »

Almost a month ago I submitted my paperwork via email and went to my appointment for digital fingerprint (online application was paid for and finished 5 weeks ago). I have check a couple of times online but it still shows that they are waiting on required materials and once everything is in they will start on my application. I know for sure I submitted everything but I am beginning to wonder if they actually got the email and attachments. Just curious if I should give the DPS a call or keep waiting. I am kinda thinking something should have shown up online by now seeing as how a tomorrow will have been 4 weeks. Still too early to see anything online? Keep Waiting? Give 'em a call tomorrow? :headscratch

poppo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Keep Waiting or Given 'em a Call

Post by poppo »

I would give them a call. 4 weeks seems long to not even be showing received, especially if it was done on-line where you have no proof of receipt (like when mailing certified).
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Topic author
LainD

Post by LainD »

poppo wrote:I would give them a call. 4 weeks seems long to not even be showing received, especially if it was done on-line where you have no proof of receipt (like when mailing certified).
I did get a generic auto reply that the email I submitted was received; but, after that I never heard anything. Well...guess I will try and see if I can get anyone on the phone tomorrow. The silver lining to this is that I have been so busy studying for 15 hours of classes that I haven't noticed the month long wait for nothing!

margareedaville
Posts in topic: 1

Post by margareedaville »

LainD wrote:
poppo wrote:I would give them a call. 4 weeks seems long to not even be showing received, especially if it was done on-line where you have no proof of receipt (like when mailing certified).
I did get a generic auto reply that the email I submitted was received; but, after that I never heard anything. Well...guess I will try and see if I can get anyone on the phone tomorrow. The silver lining to this is that I have been so busy studying for 15 hours of classes that I haven't noticed the month long wait for nothing!
DId you get to call? What did they say?

GunNewb

Post by GunNewb »

Calling the DPS will only make you more frustrated...trust me. I called several times while I was waiting for my plastic. There is always at least a 15 minute wait on the phone. After the wait, they give you generic answers that don't help you at all.
07/27/12 - Completed Online Application
08/03/12 - Fingerprints submitted
08/04/12 - CHL course
08/06/12 - Packet Mailed to DPS
08/08/12 - DPS Recieved Packet
08/24/12 - BG Comp/Manufacturing Pending
08/25/12 - Manufacturing
08/29/12 - Mailed
09/04/12 - Plastic

poppo

Post by poppo »

GunNewb wrote:Calling the DPS will only make you more frustrated...trust me.
It's been 4 weeks. Just how long do you think someone should wait before checking?
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Topic author
LainD

Post by LainD »

margareedaville wrote:
LainD wrote:
DId you get to call? What did they say?

Sadly no. Work started at 8:30am and ended at 6:30pm today and I know it is no use trying to call over lunch. I'll have to wait and try some time next week. :waiting:

TXPPQ

Post by TXPPQ »

LainD wrote:Almost a month ago I submitted my paperwork via email and went to my appointment for digital fingerprint (online application was paid for and finished 5 weeks ago). I have check a couple of times online but it still shows that they are waiting on required materials and once everything is in they will start on my application. I know for sure I submitted everything but I am beginning to wonder if they actually got the email and attachments. Just curious if I should give the DPS a call or keep waiting. I am kinda thinking something should have shown up online by now seeing as how a tomorrow will have been 4 weeks. Still too early to see anything online? Keep Waiting? Give 'em a call tomorrow? :headscratch
I've tried looking around to see if the required documents can be indeed processed via e-mail, but I have not been able to find someone who has done this successfully. I spoke with my instructor and he was under the impression that DPS would only accept paper, especially the CHL-100 form which requires that the original inked copy be sent in (As stated on the bottom of the form). Did you give them a call beforehand to make sure that e-mail submissions were accepted?
Walther PPQ 9mm
S&W M&P9c

cdalgo79

Post by cdalgo79 »

I uploade everything through the contact us link as an attachment. Everything has gone smooth
And my chl is in the mail so it does work. Use a good color scanner for DL. Give them a call.
Class taken 8-25-12
Online app. 8-26-12
Documents submitted online 8-28-12
Fingerprints submitted. 9-5-12
background under review 9-7-12
Background complete 9-20-12
Manufacturing 9-21-12
Mailed. 9-22-12. Postmarked 9-25-12
Plastic received. 9-27-12

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I thought the paperless application was only for renewals but I could be wrong. If you emailed the documents and DPS still hasn't acknowledged receipt after a month, I suggest sending paper copies.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Topic author
LainD

Post by LainD »

TXPPQ wrote: I've tried looking around to see if the required documents can be indeed processed via e-mail, but I have not been able to find someone who has done this successfully. I spoke with my instructor and he was under the impression that DPS would only accept paper, especially the CHL-100 form which requires that the original inked copy be sent in (As stated on the bottom of the form). Did you give them a call beforehand to make sure that e-mail submissions were accepted?
Lol! I am not that blonde. Yes, the DPS accepts scans of all documents for new licenses. I called to confirm before I sent the email. They started accepting scans about 3-4 months ago.

TXPPQ

Post by TXPPQ »

LainD wrote:
TXPPQ wrote: I've tried looking around to see if the required documents can be indeed processed via e-mail, but I have not been able to find someone who has done this successfully. I spoke with my instructor and he was under the impression that DPS would only accept paper, especially the CHL-100 form which requires that the original inked copy be sent in (As stated on the bottom of the form). Did you give them a call beforehand to make sure that e-mail submissions were accepted?
Lol! I am not that blonde. Yes, the DPS accepts scans of all documents for new licenses. I called to confirm before I sent the email. They started accepting scans about 3-4 months ago.

:lol:: I was just making sure. :lol:
My guess is that being still a pretty new system that perhaps they have not streamlined it quite yet. Please let us know what they tell you when you call them. Lets just hope that everthing is being processed and that they just haven't updated your status. It would be a real bummer if your month long wait has been for nothing. :banghead:
Walther PPQ 9mm
S&W M&P9c

Topic author
LainD

Post by LainD »

Apparently I just got lucky and got put on the slow boat. Called the DPS (I was only on hold 5 mins!) and they said all my info was sitting there it just hadn't gotten entered yet. They told me to wait another week and it should be entered and start showing up online. Hooray for getting put on the slow boat! :banghead: Oh well, midterms are coming at me like a freight train so I probably won't have time to think about it again until it finally shows up in my mail box.

trentwhite778

Post by trentwhite778 »

If it makes you feel any better, I've been on the slow boat as well. All of my co-workers and I decided to get our CHL's. I took my class and sent everything in 2 weeks before anyone else. They all have their plastic and are carrying. Mine JUST NOW updated to background complete. Just a word of encouragement, if you don't catch up to a normal pace and it does hit the 60 day mark, they WILL put you at the top of the list and get it out ASAP. After being on background check for over a month and a half, once I hit 60 days, they emailed the tech and the next morning it updated.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”