60 days and counting..anyone else?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1blonde_qt
Posts in topic: 5

60 days and counting..anyone else?

Post by 1blonde_qt »

I contacted dps regarding an address change and spoke to Theresa last thursday..she confirmed that my status was still under background review and told me that the background check can take 60 days..I then said to her that the entire process should take 60 days and she told me no that the background check alone takes up to 60 days to complete..I have a clean background and I do know they are supposed to have the entire process done in 60 days..I do see via your posts that some of you are receiving yours about the 70ish day mark and was curious as to just how many of us are at or beyond the 60 day period? Please post and let me know how long you have been waiting.
paper work hand delivered to dps feb 26
paperwork received and background under review april 9
:banghead:

Hibbidydoo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 60 days and counting..anyone else?

Post by Hibbidydoo »

day 59 here.

updated to background on the 11th. :totap:

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 10

Post by nightmare69 »

DPS has had my mail in paper application and all other documents since 2/28. Tomorrow will be 60 days and I still am not in DPS system, I try to log in and get the *error you information is not found* message. I still have to wait for DPS to either put my app in the system or send me a letter so I can schedule my fingerprints and go have that done. I cannot go get my fingerprints done until Im in the system, Ive tried and its a no go. So its been 59 days now and Ive had zero updates from DPS, all I know is that my packet is there I have no idea if they even started on it.

Yes Im mad when others who mailed their packets off 2 weeks after me and are already in background check.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Day 60 now and tried to log in but was still not in the system.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

jocat54
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jocat54 »

I think I would be for calling DPS and see if there is a problem. Something just doesn't seem right about this, I sent mine in on 4/18/13 and I can at least log in to check. But I did send my application over the internet.
Your not being able to log in would be a concern for me.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

jocat54 wrote:I think I would be for calling DPS and see if there is a problem. Something just doesn't seem right about this, I sent mine in on 4/18/13 and I can at least log in to check. But I did send my application over the internet.
Your not being able to log in would be a concern for me.
I have called, they tell me that it can take 6-8 weeks to enter my data in the system, well Im working on 9 weeks. So I don't know when Ill get a update, don't do the paper app.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

Day 82 here...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

1blonde_qt wrote:I contacted dps regarding an address change and spoke to Theresa last thursday..she confirmed that my status was still under background review and told me that the background check can take 60 days..I then said to her that the entire process should take 60 days and she told me no that the background check alone takes up to 60 days to complete..I have a clean background and I do know they are supposed to have the entire process done in 60 days.
GC §411.177. ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF LICENSE. (a) The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant if the applicant meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials. The department may issue a license to carry handguns only of the categories for which the applicant has demonstrated proficiency in the form and manner required by the department. The department shall administer the licensing procedures in good faith so that any applicant who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials shall receive a license. The department may not deny an application on the basis of a capricious or arbitrary decision by the department.
(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:
(1) issue the license;
(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied:
(A) on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria listed in Section 411.172;
(B) based on the affidavit of the director's designee submitted to the department under Section 411.176(c); or
(C) based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.188(k); or
(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.
(c) Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

bizarrenormality wrote: GC §411.177. ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF LICENSE. (a) The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant if the applicant meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials. The department may issue a license to carry handguns only of the categories for which the applicant has demonstrated proficiency in the form and manner required by the department. The department shall administer the licensing procedures in good faith so that any applicant who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials shall receive a license. The department may not deny an application on the basis of a capricious or arbitrary decision by the department.
(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed application materials:
(1) issue the license;
(2) notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied:
(A) on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria listed in Section 411.172;
(B) based on the affidavit of the director's designee submitted to the department under Section 411.176(c); or
(C) based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.188(k); or
(3) notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the department will need to make the determination.
(c) Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial.
They will notify you in writing if you are denied or more information is needed. DPS is just slammed right now and the BG checks are on the FBI to complete, so DPS is waiting on them. I did the paper application and just got my fingerprints done Monday, almost 10 weeks in now and they haven't started my BG check yet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

sixzero

Post by sixzero »

1st week of Feb submitted mine and my girlfriends app same day. She got her chl first week of may, still no update on my background check status.

Side note, and question for anyone who might know, I'm a disabled vet, previously deployed... 4 times in fact, but not disabled due to deployment. Would they be delving into my military medical records for this check? I ask because of all the hype and emails I got from Rand Paul saying they are gonna take away previously deployed veterans rights cause we are all obviously suffering from ptsd. Still active duty, but right in the middle of a pcs, address change in 2 weeks, is that going to screw it up also? Terrible timing to try to finally get this done. Did the class in Sep 12 and put off submitting till Feb... crazy people ruining it for everyone else.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

sixzero wrote:1st week of Feb submitted mine and my girlfriends app same day. She got her chl first week of may, still no update on my background check status.

Side note, and question for anyone who might know, I'm a disabled vet, previously deployed... 4 times in fact, but not disabled due to deployment. Would they be delving into my military medical records for this check? I ask because of all the hype and emails I got from Rand Paul saying they are gonna take away previously deployed veterans rights cause we are all obviously suffering from ptsd. Still active duty, but right in the middle of a pcs, address change in 2 weeks, is that going to screw it up also? Terrible timing to try to finally get this done. Did the class in Sep 12 and put off submitting till Feb... crazy people ruining it for everyone else.

You should call DPS in the morning and find out what is going on.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

sixzero

Post by sixzero »

Got the recording "we are too busy to help you, email us".

I did and got a reply in about 1 min, says they are making sure no previous incidents exclude me from eligibility. Hmmm... other than the article 15 I got in ft eustis in 1996 for driving around on a golf cart drunk (hey I was a 21 year old private) my record is spotless. That was strictly UCMJ in any case.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but I think they are looking into my mental history. I suppose that's a good thing if its true.

But then again, if I was crazy I wouldn't bother going through the proper channels, I'd just go shoot someone.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I wouldn't think UCMJ proceedings would ever come into play...especially if they were NJP or no brig time...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Wtxchooter

Post by Wtxchooter »

64 Days :waiting: Nothing like government to show us poor peasants how streamlined and efficient a process can be if we will get out of their way, and let them do what they do best! :totap:
STOP, OR MY WIFE WILL SHOOT!

Topic author
1blonde_qt
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 1blonde_qt »

Got an update today..manufacturing..and it only took 75 days..how annoying! :totap: :headscratch :banghead:

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”