Does everyone go to Walmart on their first carry???

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

w5jck
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Does everyone go to Walmart on their first carry???

Post by w5jck »

I got my CHL in the mail yesterday. I went to eat at a local IHOP, so that was my so-called Wally Walk. Earlier I had attended a CERT continuing education class at the local fire department's training facility. I left my Kahr CW9 in my car thinking the Fire Training Facility would be posted with 30.06, but it wasn't so I could have carried in there had I known. It is really not that big of a deal to me though as I'm 56 and could have gotten the CHL way back in 1996 had I felt the need. I never worry much about be unarmed in the vast majority of places I go. I mostly got the CHL for the rare occasion where I feel it is smart to carry. But I'm definitely not one of those guys who feels naked without a CCW.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

w5jck wrote:I never worry much about be unarmed in the vast majority of places I go. I mostly got the CHL for the rare occasion where I feel it is smart to carry. But I'm definitely not one of those guys who feels naked without a CCW.
You don't think it is smart to carry all of the time? How do you determine this? I really want to know.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Texsquatch »

I gave up my Magic 8 Ball, so I carry wherever I'm legally allowed.

w5jck

Post by w5jck »

anygunanywhere wrote:
w5jck wrote:I never worry much about be unarmed in the vast majority of places I go. I mostly got the CHL for the rare occasion where I feel it is smart to carry. But I'm definitely not one of those guys who feels naked without a CCW.
You don't think it is smart to carry all of the time? How do you determine this? I really want to know.

Anygunanywhere
Interesting twist of my actual words to suit your purpose? I did not write, " don't think it is smart to carry all of the time." My words more accurately reflect the idea that when I feel the need to carry, then I carry. Most of the time I feel perfectly safe without a weapon.

jmra

Post by jmra »

w5jck wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere
Interesting twist of my actual words to suit your purpose? I did not write, " don't think it is smart to carry all of the time." My words more accurately reflect the idea that when I feel the need to carry, then I carry. Most of the time I feel perfectly safe without a weapon.

What's the saying, "Carry 24/7 or guess right". If I had enough perception to know when I needed to carry a firearm and when I didn't need to carry a firearm to ensure the safety of myself and my family, then I wouldn't need a firearm at all. I would simply avoid the places where I "needed" it.
The fact of the matter is no one has that level of perception. The need to defend yourself or your family could occur any place at anytime. Before taking a test I study, practice, and prepare to be successful. I have found this to be a much better approach than guessing.
I use the same approach for my family's safety. I study (by learning defensive skills and situational awareness), I practice (defensive skills at the range and situational awareness everywhere I go), and I prepare (by always having the necessary tools at my disposal whenever I legally can). Guessing almost always results in failure when tested.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Selcouth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Selcouth »

Attacking someone's choice on when they feel the need to carry.... A+ people right there.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Selcouth wrote:Attacking someone's choice on when they feel the need to carry.... A+ people right there.
This is how grown ups talk. I don't see any attacks here. Just people expressing different opinions. Attack would be as if they simply said you're stupid for not carrying 24/7, or some other off putting remarks. I by no means agree with everything everyone says. However, this is a public forum, just as in a face to face conversation, if you don't want people to comment on your ideas, you're better off keeping them to yourself.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Selcouth wrote:Attacking someone's choice on when they feel the need to carry.... A+ people right there.
The only attack I see is yours.
Last edited by jmra on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

w5jck wrote:I got my CHL in the mail yesterday. I went to eat at a local IHOP, so that was my so-called Wally Walk. Earlier I had attended a CERT continuing education class at the local fire department's training facility. I left my Kahr CW9 in my car thinking the Fire Training Facility would be posted with 30.06, but it wasn't so I could have carried in there had I known. It is really not that big of a deal to me though as I'm 56 and could have gotten the CHL way back in 1996 had I felt the need. I never worry much about be unarmed in the vast majority of places I go. I mostly got the CHL for the rare occasion where I feel it is smart to carry. But I'm definitely not one of those guys who feels naked without a CCW.
When I got my CHL, I was much like you. I wanted it so that we could legally have a pistol with us in the RV. But I started reading the threads on this forum and thinking about what was being said. The carry 24-7 or guess right was something that I pondered while I waited for my plastic to arrive. By the time that it did, I had purchased a holster I had a challenge to get my wife comfortable with the fact that I was going to carry, too.

What changed my mind?
1. I've followed the crime blotter stories. There is no pixie dust sprinkled around any of the areas that I frequent that would prevent similar situations from occurring.
2. There is no "per carry" charge. So the only thing that it costs me extra each time that I do is the few second to put the gun on before I go out the door.
3. People say that after a while, you simply forget that you are carrying. After 5 years, I never have. I know it is there and it is a reminder to me to keep my situational awareness high.
4. I believe that carrying is an assertion of my 2nd Amendment right. While others might say it has zero impact on anyone else, it means something to me. Just like my protest (by not patronizing them) against businesses who post 30.06 signs is probably of little consequence in the grander scheme of things, I feel like I'm doing my part by the actions that I take. While I don't broadcast that I carry, those who know me know that I do so my influence is greater than just over me. I would not have that same influence over others if my gun were back in the safe at the house.
5. My mindset has changed over time because of my daily carrying. Last summer, I challenged the security people at a nearby city event. I was armed and they wanted to wand me. I could have easily taken the gun back and locked it in the car but I decided that I was legally able to carry and, by golly, I was going to do it. I did. I even went to that city's police department and made sure that they understood that I planned to exercise my right in the future, too. If I hadn't been carrying that day, the option to reassert my rights would not have been available. Again, it might be a small gesture but I did it and would do it again. When I first got my CHL, I would never have dreamed of doing that.

Just my $.02 YMMV
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

OnceFired

Post by OnceFired »

For me, the Wally Walk made sense for a lot of reasons.

It wasn't the first place I went, but it was the first retail place I went to, where security is a focal point for the business due to shoplifting etc. That's I think a big part of the Wally Walk - you usually have tons of people around you (customers + employees) and a chunk of them ARE trained to watch you and/or focus upon your presence.

When I went the first time, it was late at night. After the rush of customers, more toward the late-night restocking times. But it went smooth, too.

OF
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

I didnt. I dont particularly like Wal-Mart so I dont go there unless I just have to for some reason but I havent been in one a while. But I cant even remember once I got my CHL where I first carried. I dont remember at all. I want to say it was going to the grocery store....but not certain. No surprise tho. I dont remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday :P

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

w5jck wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere

W5, I did not twist your words. The quote is verbatim what you wrote and I have no purpose to suit. How do you determine when it is smart to carry? I want to know your thought process.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

:headscratch

Anygunanywhere

Topic author
scokill

Post by scokill »

anygunanywhere wrote:
w5jck wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere

W5, I did not twist your words. The quote is verbatim what you wrote and I have no purpose to suit. How do you determine when it is smart to carry? I want to know your thought process.

Anygunanywhere

Over half of all murders involve a family member or someone you know, 20% are family members. So using those stats you should always carry around friends and family :shock:

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

My first carry was to church. Figured it was a safe place to start....I wasn't the only one carrying there, & I didn't have the biggest gun.

I would carry all the time, but my job won't let me. So I make up for it as often as I can. Besides, just because I don't have a gun doesn't mean I'm not armed.... ;-)

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”