Why does the background check take so long?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 3

Why does the background check take so long?

Post by asbandr »

Why does the background check take so long? There's nothing but 1 move on it. In previous waiting room threads it's taken a day or so, but for the March thread I'm seeing it take several weeks. How long did it take for you and when was it submitted?
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Cknox3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why does the background check take so long?

Post by Cknox3 »

Has more to do with your local law enforcement, it goes to them first I believe.

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Cknox3 wrote:Has more to do with your local law enforcement, it goes to them first I believe.
Well that would explain it! Ok, so I should be able to do my Wally walk next year then... :smilelol5:
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

DPS does their own backgrounds, save for the FBI fingerprint check. No local agencies are involved.

DPS sends an employee into each county where you have lived for the last 5 years (5 I believe) to conduct an in person background. They check the county and district criminal clerk and District civil clerk. The tax assessor is also queried.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

amckee

Post by amckee »

jbarn wrote:DPS does their own backgrounds, save for the FBI fingerprint check. No local agencies are involved.

DPS sends an employee into each county where you have lived for the last 5 years (5 I believe) to conduct an in person background. They check the county and district criminal clerk and District civil clerk. The tax assessor is also queried.
What happens if you've lived out of state in the past 5 years? I've lived in 2 other states. If they have to do that level of detail in the other states, I'll probably be waiting forever...

spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

amckee wrote:
jbarn wrote:DPS does their own backgrounds, save for the FBI fingerprint check. No local agencies are involved.

What happens if you've lived out of state in the past 5 years? I've lived in 2 other states. If they have to do that level of detail in the other states, I'll probably be waiting forever...
Not necessarily. I fit your out-of-state description as well and my background took one day according to their website and a phone call I made to DPS, which finally got my application noticed in the first place. I'm curious about the process DPS uses as well.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

amckee wrote:

No, DPS does not travel out of state. They contact via mail or phone the courts in those states.
Texas CHL Instructor

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

At what point should I call dps?

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TomsTXCHL »

jbarn wrote:DPS sends an employee into each county where you have lived for the last 5 years (5 I believe) to conduct an in person background. They check the county and district criminal clerk and District civil clerk. The tax assessor is also queried.
You're kidding, right? You're NOT kidding? I can't believe this. How on Earth might the DPS afford to do it? TX is a big place!? :???:

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
jbarn wrote:DPS sends an employee into each county where you have lived for the last 5 years (5 I believe) to conduct an in person background. They check the county and district criminal clerk and District civil clerk. The tax assessor is also queried.
You're kidding, right? You're NOT kidding? I can't believe this. How on Earth might the DPS afford to do it? TX is a big place!? :???:
DPS has Troopers and other employees that serve all 254 counties.
Texas CHL Instructor

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TomsTXCHL »

jbarn wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:
DPS has Troopers and other employees that serve all 254 counties.
Well, I'll be... I guess you weren't kidding then. How 'bout that...

Then why don't the background checks take FOREVER! :smilelol5:

JR Texas

Post by JR Texas »

First update for me was on May 1st background under review, 2nd update today May 14th manufacture pending. Looks like 2 weeks for my background to complete.

llucas

Post by llucas »

I called DPS/CHL today. After a thirty minute wait to speak to someone I was told they are waiting on the FBI background check and that the FBI background check can take up to sixty days to complete.
:rules:
4/23/14 -- applied online; 4/29/14 -- electronic fingerprints.
5/7/14 -- docs uploaded on chl site; 5/13/14 -- docs mailed.
9/5/14 -- plastic arrived in the mailbox

pistola

Post by pistola »

I don't trust how long the website says each step takes. Anyway, the total end to end time is what really matters to me.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”