Please define "status change"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
51stovebolt
Posts in topic: 2

Please define "status change"

Post by 51stovebolt »

First time poster. Good stuff here, appreciate all the good info.

I see the phrase "status change" used here, but cannot say I know exactly what is meant by it. Can someone please share?

I recently took the CHL course and submitted all my PAPERwork to DPS via snail mail. Looking back I now realize I could have done it electronically and wish I would have...but it is done. Now the wait. I have tried logging into the DPS website (using DL and DOB) and up until today I have been unable to do so, it gave an error saying to check my info. Today however, I can login. But the page it takes me to basically tells me nothing more than "If you have a pending CHL application, please allow sufficient time for processing." Is this what is meant by "status change", or is there something else that I should be watching for?

Regards,
Will

pebblebeachkid
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Please define "status change"

Post by pebblebeachkid »

Keep checking back and you'll see an additional list of options once they've completed the process. Simply means you have been approved and lincense will go to print and be mailed shortly

Khanhvu2912

Post by Khanhvu2912 »

51stovebolt wrote:First time poster. Good stuff here, appreciate all the good info.

I see the phrase "status change" used here, but cannot say I know exactly what is meant by it. Can someone please share?

I recently took the CHL course and submitted all my PAPERwork to DPS via snail mail. Looking back I now realize I could have done it electronically and wish I would have...but it is done. Now the wait. I have tried logging into the DPS website (using DL and DOB) and up until today I have been unable to do so, it gave an error saying to check my info. Today however, I can login. But the page it takes me to basically tells me nothing more than "If you have a pending CHL application, please allow sufficient time for processing." Is this what is meant by "status change", or is there something else that I should be watching for?

Regards,
Will
"Status change" means that when you logged in, and see the options to change address, report lost/ stolen license etc.. When you see that, you license has been activated and heading your way..it will only change and giving you those opts once it mailed off

Topic author
51stovebolt

Post by 51stovebolt »

Khanhvu2912 wrote:"Status change" means that when you logged in, and see the options to change address, report lost/ stolen license etc.. When you see that, you license has been activated and heading your way..it will only change and giving you those opts once it mailed off
Thanks!

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

I called DPS today and was told that they stopped update the website status since May 2014.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Webber

Post by Webber »

Mine changed 3 weeks after submitting, so they still do update it. This update occurred on 3/31/15.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

BCGlocker wrote:I called DPS today and was told that they stopped update the website status since May 2014.

For example, from Dec.3, 2009 this is how the waiting room folks(I'd received my license just 3 month prior) listed their status pending issues/complaints/gripes/frustrations/etc, ad nauseum, :lol: ):

" CHL Class: 08/01/09
Mailed App: 08/03/09
Packet returned: 08/22/09
Packet Re-Mailed: 08/24/09
PIN Received via E-mail: 09/08/09
Processing Application: 09/15/09
Application Completed: 09/24/09
Plastic in hand: 09/28/09

Another:

7/25/09 - Class taken
8/21/09 - Packet sent
8/24/09 - Packet received by DPS
10/02/09- Received PIN in mail
11/25/09- Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/03/09- Plastic in hand

And another:

03/--/2009 - Registered on CHLS website
04/--/2009 - Application packet received
05/12/2009 - First part of CHL Class
05/13/2009 - Second part of CHL Class
05/14/2009 - Mailed via USPS Priority Mail with tracking at 9:09am
05/16/2009 - Delivered to CHLS at 10:02am
06/03/2009 - Sent email to CHLS asking for status.
06/15/2009 - Email reply from CHLS - Application has not been entered...Going through pre-entry process...
08/19/2009 - Sent email to CHLS asking for status.
08/26/2009 - Called CHLS to check status - person said everything is back and OK - just waiting to get to next stage. Shouldn't be much longer.
09/01/2009 - Email reply from CHLS - 'The application is near completion. Thank you for your continued patience.'
xx/xx/xxxx - Received plastic "

It really made for trying times when the DPS informed us all to a great detail. Not what we see today.

Today we don't see it, because their processing times have improved so much. We just see something like: "application received. Please wait for processing, or something like that. THEN, out of the blue you see on that page: change of address, report lost or stolen card, etc. That's it....nothing more. If you see the address change screen, it's been printed and more than likely you'll receive it int the next 5-7 days

So......if you have been waiting 14 days, or 21 days or longer, just look back at what it used to be. :tiphat:

P.S. I can give you MANY more examples of the frustrations we used to endue. And I'll be happy to provide those, if you'd like. Just ask.

Hope that answers some questions.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Kokopelli

Post by Kokopelli »

BCGlocker wrote:I called DPS today and was told that they stopped update the website status since May 2014.

I think you are correct about DPS not updating the website. However, the website is linked to the DPS CHL database which gets updated when your application is approved and entered into the system (database). When you are in the process of being approved, your only choice when you log in is to begin another application to be an instructor. When you get approved, your info is finally in the CHL database and, at log in, you are given the choices to change address, report a lost card, etc. They don't update the website when each person receives their CHL approval. But the website choices change when you are approved, because the database changes.

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Kokopelli wrote:

I think you are correct about DPS not updating the website. However, the website is linked to the DPS CHL database which gets updated when your application is approved and entered into the system (database). When you are in the process of being approved, your only choice when you log in is to begin another application to be an instructor. When you get approved, your info is finally in the CHL database and, at log in, you are given the choices to change address, report a lost card, etc. They don't update the website when each person receives their CHL approval. But the website choices change when you are approved, because the database changes.

Thank you for the explanation, this makes perfect sense now.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”