To Those Waiting--Patience

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

To Those Waiting--Patience

Post by RPBrown »

For those that are waiting on your LTC and have been for 75-80 days, fear not, it will come. Just have a little patience.
Charles has asked that you not contact your state rep or continue to call and I have to agree with him for the following reasons:
1. The DPS has had a large influx of applications and has even transferred some from other areas in to help. You are slowing them down when they have to answer to a state rep or answer a phone call
2. If you call and DO get an answer, then you are taking someone away from working on an application, maybe yours. Times that by several hundred a day and you have someone not working on an application but just answering phones.
3. Same as # 2 except with emails. Very rarely will you get a return email. In fact, I don't now of anyone that has in the last few months
4. Feel fortunate that your wait is as short as it is. Not all that many years ago, waits were running 90+ days and 120 was not uncommon.
5. If you have so little patience just waiting on your plastic, how much will you have in the real world with a gun?
6. Use this time wisely. Practice carrying around the house to find what works best for you and what is most comfortable.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

doncb

Re: To Those Waiting--Patience

Post by doncb »

:iagree:
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

KD79

Post by KD79 »

I do agree that an already under staffed workforce will only be further delayed with a constant onslaught of calls. You do have to wonder why the process has not been updated to allow for easier access to individual information. With the advent of the process being predominantly computerized it seems an acquirable task? It appears that most of the complaints could be subdued with accessible information on current times and the overall flow of material in the process. I am just beginning my wait and have only myself to blame for waiting to get licensed.I have no plans, even with an extended wait time, to contact my state representative even though he works with me. I would rather his time be spent on more pressing issues that how quickly I get my license. I hope that in the future the process will allow for a more fluent stream of information rather than a website that really gives no viable information.
"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." - Leo Tolstoy

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

RPBrown wrote:For those that are waiting on your LTC and have been for 75-80 days, fear not, it will come. Just have a little patience.
Charles has asked that you not contact your state rep or continue to call and I have to agree with him for the following reasons:
1. The DPS has had a large influx of applications and has even transferred some from other areas in to help. You are slowing them down when they have to answer to a state rep or answer a phone call
2. If you call and DO get an answer, then you are taking someone away from working on an application, maybe yours. Times that by several hundred a day and you have someone not working on an application but just answering phones.
3. Same as # 2 except with emails. Very rarely will you get a return email. In fact, I don't now of anyone that has in the last few months
4. Feel fortunate that your wait is as short as it is. Not all that many years ago, waits were running 90+ days and 120 was not uncommon.
5. If you have so little patience just waiting on your plastic, how much will you have in the real world with a gun?
6. Use this time wisely. Practice carrying around the house to find what works best for you and what is most comfortable.
I am in agreement. Especially Line # 5. There are some on here that make you wonder if they are really capable of carrying a gun based on their rants. When I got my license we had a really long wait and no website to check up on the status as best as I can remember. You sent everything in and then waited.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

PhilBob

Post by PhilBob »

krieghoff wrote:
RPBrown wrote:For those that are waiting on your LTC and have been for 75-80 days, fear not, it will come. Just have a little patience.
I am in agreement. Especially Line # 5. There are some on here that make you wonder if they are really capable of carrying a gun based on their rants. When I got my license we had a really long wait and no website to check up on the status as best as I can remember. You sent everything in and then waited.
:iagree:

rexmitchell
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rexmitchell »

To me it isn't about patience, it is about if the tables were turned. If you were given a deadline by the government and didn't meet it, what would their response be? Could I call and say just be a little more patient, I'm just really busy and I'll pay my taxes when I get around to it.....I know that isn't a great analogy but if they need flexibility, maybe that should be applied to everyone then. Also, I understand places get busy, but some up front communication would go along way to getting people to stop worrying about their applications....The email I received said "please wait up to six weeks", I'm past 60 days now so what am I supposed to do? IF they had said, due to a high volume of applications, it will take 90 days, no one would be worrying.....Just saying.

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FastCarry »

You get plenty of time to pay your taxes if there is an issue.. I get the point but its a bad analogy. But, lets keep with it. Lets say you pay 1k a year for property tax, then due some circumstances that happened half way across the globe, you now owe 600 thousand. You would hope the government would be lenient with you, as they hope you understand during the recent increase. Its frustrating, but imagine our tax dollars going to hiring 500 people to make sure everyone gets their license in 30 days, what happens when the applications slow down? 500 people lose their jobs, and a LOT of money has been spent to speed up a road bump. Be patient please.

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

Ok, but I'm not going to tell them I can't pay my taxes, I'm just not going to communicate it at all. Or better, I have a court date and I just don't show up? That a better one? I'm being patient and will continue to be but I also understand why people are frustrated. Questioning people's frustration and asking how patient they will be when carrying a firearm is a little insulting and not really fair. Again, I understand they are swamped and haven't complained to them...yet. For those that are way past their due date I totally understand why they are mad though. I suggested this in another thread but maybe they could refund the application fees if they can't produce in the mandated time frame. I bet it would speed the process up if funding was at stake.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Something else that would be interesting to see would be weekly/monthly statistics

• Number of applications submitted
    Number of LTC applications processed (completed)
    Number of applications still waiting to be processed.
But I'm a numbers guy.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FastCarry »

rexmitchell wrote:Ok, but I'm not going to tell them I can't pay my taxes, I'm just not going to communicate it at all. Or better, I have a court date and I just don't show up? That a better one? I'm being patient and will continue to be but I also understand why people are frustrated. Questioning people's frustration and asking how patient they will be when carrying a firearm is a little insulting and not really fair. Again, I understand they are swamped and haven't complained to them...yet. For those that are way past their due date I totally understand why they are mad though. I suggested this in another thread but maybe they could refund the application fees if they can't produce in the mandated time frame. I bet it would speed the process up if funding was at stake.
Not doing something and being too busy to do something now are too different things. Imagine that, being so busy that you cant even pause for a sec to tell everyone how busy you are.. thats busy.

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

Agree metrics would be interesting but I'd be more interested in how the process works in general. The thing that is the most peculiar for me is how all over the board approvals are. I was told a while back that applications are assigned to a single person in batches and that if you have someone that is slow, or goes on vacation, etc. that your wait could be a lot longer. That would make sense with approvals happening all over the place but that also seems really inefficient and backwards.

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

FastCarry wrote:
rexmitchell wrote:Ok, but I'm not going to tell them I can't pay my taxes, I'm just not going to communicate it at all. Or better, I have a court date and I just don't show up? That a better one? I'm being patient and will continue to be but I also understand why people are frustrated. Questioning people's frustration and asking how patient they will be when carrying a firearm is a little insulting and not really fair. Again, I understand they are swamped and haven't complained to them...yet. For those that are way past their due date I totally understand why they are mad though. I suggested this in another thread but maybe they could refund the application fees if they can't produce in the mandated time frame. I bet it would speed the process up if funding was at stake.
Not doing something and being too busy to do something now are too different things. Imagine that, being so busy that you cant even pause for a sec to tell everyone how busy you are.. thats busy.
I hear ya, and again it wasn't the best analogy but you know what I mean.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

rexmitchell wrote:Agree metrics would be interesting but I'd be more interested in how the process works in general. The thing that is the most peculiar for me is how all over the board approvals are. I was told a while back that applications are assigned to a single person in batches and that if you have someone that is slow, or goes on vacation, etc. that your wait could be a lot longer. That would make sense with approvals happening all over the place but that also seems really inefficient and backwards.
And thus why Conservatives are for limited goverment, because Government = inefficient + backwards x 100. :biggrinjester:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

zetroc

Post by zetroc »

I've been waiting and I understand being underman been there a lot with work but in 5 days I will have been waiting 5 months with no response should it really take that long? 21 weeks don't you think that's a bit of an over stretch?

Riskman956

Post by Riskman956 »

I've been waiting since December 12, 2015. I have received two different emails and one letter saying that my application is missing documents. I submitted everything (online) the first time. All of my required forms were submitted the first time. The last letter I received was in June claiming my application was missing something. I called and was told that I can now possibly wait up to 180 "additional" days from the date they have for receiving the document they requested. I re-sent the last document in June and received an email that they received in on July 11th. I guess that gives a possible wait time of over a year from the date of my original application. I'm already at 210 plus days so what's another 6 months right?

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”