How long does the background check last?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LTC_Grapevine
Posts in topic: 1

How long does the background check last?

Post by LTC_Grapevine »

The standard answer is 60 days. However, does anyone know how long does it usually take provided a clean record and lived past 16 years in Texas?

SplittinHairs

Re: How long does the background check last?

Post by SplittinHairs »

I really don't think the actual BG check takes that long... but I have recently learned that from the time you are "in processing" to be being cleared for a license, have it printed and shipped, is about 30 days. Texas has one of the more extensive checks for handgun licensing and involves "21 points" though I am not sure of everything they do. But once they get to actually doing yours it does not seem to take very long.

16Adams
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 16Adams »

When you look at the approx 21 legislative requirements that have to be checked -civil-financial-medical etc) on Each individual application, then take into consideration any follow up time - it would be impossible for "first in first out" or determine a set day. I've been watching the board a few months now and back in January you could bank on it taking 60 business days from "all documents received to your LTC in your mailbox"

It's dropped to around 40-47 business days of late- some quicker some longer.
Personally I believe this is RSD catching up with the triple digit swamp load increase of applications during the Thanksgiving/Christmas-New a Years Holidays, a tragic west coast terrorist attack and the new open carry law. Just my opinion.

As to how long the process within the process of just the 21 items take to investigate that can vary substantially from one individual to another

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

16Adams wrote:When you look at the approx 21 legislative requirements that have to be checked -civil-financial-medical etc) on Each individual application, then take into consideration any follow up time - it would be impossible for "first in first out" or determine a set day. I've been watching the board a few months now and back in January you could bank on it taking 60 business days from "all documents received to your LTC in your mailbox"

Personally I believe this is RSD catching up with the triple digit swamp load increase of applications during the Thanksgiving/Christmas-New a Years Holidays, a tragic west coast terrorist attack and the new open carry law. Just my opinion.

As to how long the process within the process of just the 21 items take to investigate that can vary substantially from one individual to another
I have noticed a difference as well. I started looking at the forum in March and I've noticed the turnaround. They a lot of January and Feb apps have been processed and mailed already. The background check is extensive, like you said 21 requirements. Considering that they have to send off for your BG check, someone has to process that BG check, someone has to review that BG check, then someone has to approve the BG check, THEN send it back to DPS (I'm assuming all of this, I have not confirmed it). Seems like a lot of hands in the pot, but they are doing a MUCH better job as far as the turnaround.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

vjallen75 wrote:
16Adams wrote:When you look at the approx 21 legislative requirements that have to be checked -civil-financial-medical etc) on Each individual application, then take into consideration any follow up time - it would be impossible for "first in first out" or determine a set day. I've been watching the board a few months now and back in January you could bank on it taking 60 business days from "all documents received to your LTC in your mailbox"

I have noticed a difference as well. I started looking at the forum in March and I've noticed the turnaround. They a lot of January and Feb apps have been processed and mailed already. The background check is extensive, like you said 21 requirements. Considering that they have to send off for your BG check, someone has to process that BG check, someone has to review that BG check, then someone has to approve the BG check, THEN send it back to DPS (I'm assuming all of this, I have not confirmed it). Seems like a lot of hands in the pot, but they are doing a MUCH better job as far as the turnaround.
Knowing how easy it is to get all the information required from the background check either online, or with a phone call or two, I think you are overshooting what is actually required. All of those records are public information, short of a medical issue. A BG check shouldn't take more than a few minutes to complete, reviewing may take a little longer but realistically how long, an hour or two?

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

rexmitchell wrote:Knowing how easy it is to get all the information required from the background check either online, or with a phone call or two, I think you are overshooting what is actually required. All of those records are public information, short of a medical issue. A BG check shouldn't take more than a few minutes to complete, reviewing may take a little longer but realistically how long, an hour or two?
I agree with you completely, it probably doesn't take very long to pull. I was giving whoever DPS hires to do BG checks the benefit of doubt. I'm sure they are certain circumstances but for the most part it seems like an easy process. I think we have to fight to get these guys better funding.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

vjallen75 wrote:
rexmitchell wrote:Knowing how easy it is to get all the information required from the background check either online, or with a phone call or two, I think you are overshooting what is actually required. All of those records are public information, short of a medical issue. A BG check shouldn't take more than a few minutes to complete, reviewing may take a little longer but realistically how long, an hour or two?
I agree with you completely, it probably doesn't take very long to pull. I was giving whoever DPS hires to do BG checks the benefit of doubt. I'm sure they are certain circumstances but for the most part it seems like an easy process. I think we have to fight to get these guys better funding.

When you LTC part of the application process is you sign release forms. The reason for these release forms is that copies have to be sent to actually quite a few of the 21 locations to release the records. The fact that records may or may not be computerized does not mean the record holders will release the information without a signed release in hand and on file before the information is released to DPS. I urge you go online and look at the other States requirements and compare them. They're simple criminal history warrant checks. Texas Legislature required a background check that is more extensive- and non political. Be patient- if you're qualified it will come. Passing the LTC background check is something to actually be proud of.

Antbanks_84

Post by Antbanks_84 »

Mine only took 3-4 days

infoman

Post by infoman »

It depends if you have any arrests or not. It makes a big difference in time. By big I mean several months.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

infoman wrote:It depends if you have any arrests or not. It makes a big difference in time. By big I mean several months.
also if you were in the Military and provided a DD214, they have to check that out which adds to the time frame. If you held a security clearance higher than "secret", that may play into it as well. I know my application process took longer than my wifes did and the only difference was I supplied my DD214 for my USAF service.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

lebohn11

Post by lebohn11 »

gtolbert09 wrote:
infoman wrote:It depends if you have any arrests or not. It makes a big difference in time. By big I mean several months.
also if you were in the Military and provided a DD214, they have to check that out which adds to the time frame. If you held a security clearance higher than "secret", that may play into it as well. I know my application process took longer than my wifes did and the only difference was I supplied my DD214 for my USAF service.
My background check has been under review for almost 8 weeks, I too supplied the dd214. How long did it take for yours to complete?

gonzo

Post by gonzo »

I don't know that prior military adds to the background for everyone. In my case, it didn't slow my process down. Two weeks total process for me.

Filed paperwork (including DD214) via electronic RSD on 9/30
Fingerprint on 10/4
Everything received/Background check in process 10/6
Background complete on 10/10
LTC mailed 10/14

I held secret security clearance. I don't think my DD214 and secret security clearance held me back, maybe even moved it forward. I've had 3 federal background checks done in the last 15 years, so maybe that's why mine moved fast (also probably helps having a clean record).

I think it all depends on the person, and the history. If no hits on the record, moves fast; but if something does show up on the background and they have to seek additional information, that probably adds time.

Gonzo

Antbanks_84

Post by Antbanks_84 »

Mine took 7 days

infoman

Post by infoman »

whether someone is military, veteran, or any type of profession makes ZERO difference. The only factor in taking a much longer time is if someone has anything on the record: arrests (in or out of TX), warrants, protective orders, alien status, child support, Medical advisory board apps, arrests (military/federal), sex offenders, any "pending" charges, etc..

Your job history, military service, residence history, etc have no factor in prolonging your application timeframe.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Hey fellas, new to the forum here. So I took the LTC class and submitted my application on Feb 23 then on Feb 27 I had my finger prints done. On the 29th i checked my application status and everything was clear but my background check. It was under review. I thought wow this is going to be quicker than I thought it would! But here it is Mar 7th and it's still under review. I've read some people say theirs was quick while others said theirs took like 6 weeks. I've never been arrested, not on any anti psychotics or ever been to a mental hospital. So I guess my question is does anyone know what the turn around is for 2018? I know this is probably a dead thread but I didn't feel like I should make a new thread to ask for an update on an existing thread. Thanks!
NRA Member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”