medical advisory board

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
miked01
Posts in topic: 3

medical advisory board

Post by miked01 »

Hi, I'm new the the forum, and very happy to have found it. I resently get a letter from the Medical Advisory Board stating that I have to have an evaluation done from when I was in rehab 20 years ago. The problem that I have is I'm not sure what kind of Doctor to go to or where to go . I live in the Dallas area . Any help would be greatly appreciated. On a time clock to get it done .

Jltx77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: medical advisory board

Post by Jltx77 »

I'm no doctor. I'm no counselor. However, I pictured this happening to certain people and I it were to happen to me, what would I do. There would be no reason for me to need medical advisory seeing that I never been to the doctor regarding mental health. I just wonder how I would handle it if I were in that predicament in this political climate. This is my OPINION only.

1. I would not rush this issue
2 I would research many doctors and there views and practices. Politically that is.
3 I would not agree to a vast and drawn out evaluation.

Again, people have different issues I'm not judging.
But , I see liberal mental health doctors as the gateway to gun control. The wrong Doctor that hates gun may ruin your chances. I think if this often in all aspects of the medical field.

Basically choose carefully and don't do multipal sessions for money sake as well as your freedoms sake.

Just my opinion.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My suggestion is that you see a neurologist, they also have to be licensed psychiatrist to practtice, that way you don't have to have the stigma of seeing a psychatrist hanging over your head, I worked for a neurologist in south Arlington, he is VERY progun! PM me I'll give you his name
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
miked01

Post by miked01 »

Still looking , has anyone dine there medical evaluation in the dfw area and if so which doctor did you go to . Thank you in advance

FloridaViaMissouri

Post by FloridaViaMissouri »

Wow. Texas is supposed to be the rabid pro gun, loose gun law state but then you got hoops to jump through like this for a carry permit?

Anyways while you're trying to get your Texas permit why not just get a Arizona permit that is good in Texas? I still have my Arizona permit. $60 no notary or photo needed and they send you two finger print cards. As long as the prints read in about a month the permit comes in the mail.

You also have Florida and Virginia permits as options, but both you have to do more work like get notary, pics taken, etc.

New Hampshire is also a easier permit to get too. Not sure if Texas honors it though.

I would go with Arizona though. I'm STILL waiting for my Virginia non resident permit. Been nearly 100 days since receipt of payment and I called a week ago and they told me they were running a few days behind.

TeachMan2016

Post by TeachMan2016 »

FloridaViaMissouri wrote:Wow. Texas is supposed to be the rabid pro gun, loose gun law state but then you got hoops to jump through like this for a carry permit?

Anyways while you're trying to get your Texas permit why not just get a Arizona permit that is good in Texas? I still have my Arizona permit. $60 no notary or photo needed and they send you two finger print cards. As long as the prints read in about a month the permit comes in the mail.

You also have Florida and Virginia permits as options, but both you have to do more work like get notary, pics taken, etc.

New Hampshire is also a easier permit to get too. Not sure if Texas honors it though.

I would go with Arizona though. I'm STILL waiting for my Virginia non resident permit. Been nearly 100 days since receipt of payment and I called a week ago and they told me they were running a few days behind.

If Texas keeps holding up my permit (it's been 166 days) I will probably go the Arizona route. I just read online about it, and it seems like they would get it done, in a much faster time, with very little restrictions.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

FloridaViaMissouri wrote:Wow. Texas is supposed to be the rabid pro gun, loose gun law state but then you got hoops to jump through like this for a carry permit?

Texas is not as pro-gun as you might think. Many states have had less restrictions on carry than Texas. However, Charles and others are helping get that slowly chipped away with a lot of hard work.

As for non-resident permits, they are not a bad thing to have if they give you additional reciprocity, but I am not a fan of not having a resident permit from your state. Many states, like Florida, do not honor a permit if it is not from your state of residence.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

FloridaViaMissouri

Post by FloridaViaMissouri »

Keith B wrote:

Texas is not as pro-gun as you might think. Many states have had less restrictions on carry than Texas. However, Charles and others are helping get that slowly chipped away with a lot of hard work.

As for non-resident permits, they are not a bad thing to have if they give you additional reciprocity, but I am not a fan of not having a resident permit from your state. Many states, like Florida, do not honor a permit if it is not from your state of residence.
True. I'm used to Missouri and having multiple backup permits for this very reason. St. Louis county easy process though. Just walk in mon fri to apply or renew. It sucks here in Florida though you can't carry on a non resident permit. It would be nice to have in case my Florida permit expired and I can't get in to renew in time or something comes up that I would be covered. Due to Florida only honoring FL permits for FL residents this creates a huge backlog. If here in FL we were allowed to use non residents you could always go the Virginia or Arizona route. Might be something I will write to my rep and senator about because the backlogs are absurd here. It's a bit more complex to renew here in FL compared to Missouri which is faster.

I know. Texas had a hard fight for ccw similar to Missouri due to some democrats. Missouri could have had ccw in 1985 if the NRA wanted to. I recall the NRA was approached in 1985 in Missouri and the NRA didn't want any part of it and in 1992 it was close to passing. Would have had it before Texas.

Topic author
miked01

Post by miked01 »

I just wanted to update. I was able to get the medical evaluation done and about 3 weeks later I received my license in the mail. I want to thank those who posted and offered there advice. I start this process in April with the chl class then the online application, the finger print and followed by the medical evaluation. Keep the faith all ir will happen . Thanks I'm out.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Great news. Congrats. Now you have to do a walk through WalMart while carrying. :hurry:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

miked01 wrote:I just wanted to update. I was able to get the medical evaluation done and about 3 weeks later I received my license in the mail. I want to thank those who posted and offered there advice. I start this process in April with the chl class then the online application, the finger print and followed by the medical evaluation. Keep the faith all ir will happen . Thanks I'm out.
:clapping: :hurry: glad to hear it worked out!!!!! Be safe!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Good deal. Congrats.

FYI on non-Texas CHL's. I would read the GFSZ rules carefuly. I'm not a lawyer, but I know that the waters there could be muddy...with non-TX CHL.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

miked01 wrote:I just wanted to update. I was able to get the medical evaluation done and about 3 weeks later I received my license in the mail. I want to thank those who posted and offered there advice. I start this process in April with the chl class then the online application, the finger print and followed by the medical evaluation. Keep the faith all ir will happen . Thanks I'm out.
Congratulations on getting you LTC. :thumbs2:

I have a question about the doctor that gave you the evaluation. What is his/her medical specialty?
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”