Background Check Under Review - Why?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
buckshot5514
Posts in topic: 1

Background Check Under Review - Why?

Post by buckshot5514 »

My two sons, son-in-law and I all took the LTC course on 07/02/2016. My son-in-law got his LTC in 3 weeks. He never even checked the status on the website. One of my sons got a "mailed" status in one week. My other son and I have been "Background Check Under Review" for 6 weeks. Why or why does it take so long for some and is almost immediate with other?

Jusme

Re: Background Check Under Review - Why?

Post by Jusme »

buckshot5514 wrote:My two sons, son-in-law and I all took the LTC course on 07/02/2016. My son-in-law got his LTC in 3 weeks. He never even checked the status on the website. One of my sons got a "mailed" status in one week. My other son and I have been "Background Check Under Review" for 6 weeks. Why or why does it take so long for some and is almost immediate with other?

Do you and your son have the same name? Could be there is a delay due to something like that. Just a guess.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RyanR

Post by RyanR »

Good question. I think we'd all like to know that, but unless someone that works there answers it's probably all a guess.

infoman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by infoman »

It makes a hudge difference if you have anything on your background or not, no matter how minor or long ago.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Background check times can vary depending on the number of places you have lived in the past 5 years, any reported arrests, etc. And, sometimes it depends on how the agencies (local, county, state, etc.) that get the request for your background check grab them to be processed. They should be first in first out, but that doesn't always happen.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Post by 869 »

infoman wrote:It makes a hudge difference if you have anything on your background or not, no matter how minor or long ago.
I'm not sure I understand why it should make a huge difference in timing if you have non-disqualifying events on your background report.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

869 wrote:
infoman wrote:It makes a hudge difference if you have anything on your background or not, no matter how minor or long ago.
I'm not sure I understand why it should make a huge difference in timing if you have non-disqualifying events on your background report.
Because they send the application to a technician to validate the disposition info and make sure they are not disqualifying. When an app goes to a technician it will take longer.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

infoman

Post by infoman »

It's a Manual process, a human must physically look at every single application, whether you have 20 arrests or just one old arrest, no matter how minor. If there's thousands of apps waiting to be looked at, you do the math. They're slammed from all the tons of apps that came in Nov '15-April '16, & haven't recovered yet. If you go to a grocery store & there's only 1 cashier (no self checkout) & there's 20 people in line in front of you, yet you're only buying 1 candy bar. Guess what? You'll be waiting a very long time. a guy with 1 public intoxication (for example) from 40 years ago is in the same "grocery line" as someone with 15 recent felony arrests.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

infoman wrote:It's a Manual process, a human must physically look at every single application, whether you have 20 arrests or just one old arrest, no matter how minor. If there's thousands of apps waiting to be looked at, you do the math. They're slammed from all the tons of apps that came in Nov '15-April '16, & haven't recovered yet. If you go to a grocery store & there's only 1 cashier (no self checkout) & there's 20 people in line in front of you, yet you're only buying 1 candy bar. Guess what? You'll be waiting a very long time. a guy with 1 public intoxication (for example) from 40 years ago is in the same "grocery line" as someone with 15 recent felony arrests.
Good metaphor infoman.
To the OP, just be patient. I did have to call at about the 45 day time frame because at the time things were moving quickly. When I did call, I was bumped up to a supervisor, and they called me back within a day or two. Turned out that something with my application was misplaced, misfiled, missomethinged and when I called it triggered a second set of eyeballs to look at it.

In the end, it was cleared up, I did not have to submit additional paperwork, and I got my license about two weeks after that.

As stated earlier, it is a manual process and they are the definition of slammed right now. If you do elect to call, the old saying that you'll catch more flies with sugar than vinegar rings true. Be nice and understanding of the situation they are in, and they will most definitely return the favor.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

infoman wrote:It's a Manual process, a human must physically look at every single application, whether you have 20 arrests or just one old arrest, no matter how minor. If there's thousands of apps waiting to be looked at, you do the math. They're slammed from all the tons of apps that came in Nov '15-April '16, & haven't recovered yet. If you go to a grocery store & there's only 1 cashier (no self checkout) & there's 20 people in line in front of you, yet you're only buying 1 candy bar. Guess what? You'll be waiting a very long time. a guy with 1 public intoxication (for example) from 40 years ago is in the same "grocery line" as someone with 15 recent felony arrests.
Except that lately folks have been seeing 3 week turnarounds on LTC's, while some people who applied in January are still waiting. They're not doing FIFO, and if your app unluckily slips on the floor, it may go to the bottom of the stack. Although I'd be surprised if they didn't have some kind of computerized workflow.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Post by 869 »

I think yall are giving them WAY too much credit. The results of the quick background check either disqualify or not.

infoman

Post by infoman »

None of you understood my post at all. They don't use an automated "quick" background check system. Each & every application that shows arrests, MAB, etc. must go to another office AFTER it goes through the main data entry office. Once it reaches the 2nd office (for background check/reviews) they all must be physically looked at by humans. They must verify all rapsheets, court records, in state AND out of state charges, state taxes, child support, medical advisory board (if applicable) etc. it's not a quick process & not automated. It's not the same as a credit check, employment background, nor buying a gun.

infoman

Post by infoman »

BTW, the applicants that don't have arrests on their records don't need to go to the 2nd office, hence taking 2-3 weeks to process.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

infoman wrote:None of you understood my post at all. They don't use an automated "quick" background check system. Each & every application that shows arrests, MAB, etc. must go to another office AFTER it goes through the main data entry office. Once it reaches the 2nd office (for background check/reviews) they all must be physically looked at by humans. They must verify all rapsheets, court records, in state AND out of state charges, state taxes, child support, medical advisory board (if applicable) etc. it's not a quick process & not automated. It's not the same as a credit check, employment background, nor buying a gun.
Do you work at their office? Just curios.

Child support delinquency is no longer a disqualifier.

infoman

Post by infoman »

No, but I have a good friend that does work there. & yes, if you are finally determined to be delinquent on child support- that can disqualify you.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”